Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 24 Sep 2013, 06:53 (Ref:3308571)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
3 reasons:-

1) Too much dominance - that always has an impact on opinion
2) The wretched finger which he still insists at waving at all and sundry
3) That move on Webber.

I think that SV is basically the nice guy he always was but he hasn't helped himself with 2) and 3)
Old 24 Sep 2013, 07:01 (Ref:3308575)   #27
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
It's all just spin, basically what Christian Horner is really saying is "He's not an Automaton, he really is human and he has feelings!"
Old 24 Sep 2013, 07:06 (Ref:3308581)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we need a 'Booing' sub forum. It's such a major issue now......
Old 24 Sep 2013, 07:07 (Ref:3308582)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You are right, VIVA GT!
Old 24 Sep 2013, 07:12 (Ref:3308584)   #30
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seb needs to just realise that not everybody out here likes him. He's on course to win his fourth title in a row and should be happy he has the best package year on year. Every driver on the grid wishes they had the best car, engineers, strategists, and most of all the full emotional support of the team. It all goes towards giving a driver the best overall package and Seb has it all. Some fans didn't like what he did in Malaysia and his attitude afterwards, and I think this has gone some way to contribute to the reaction he gets on the podium. I don't dislike him, I just don't want to see Red Bull doing quite so well next year. I say that from a purely selfish point of view, but I want the excitement I once had for the sport to return.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 07:31 (Ref:3308592)   #31
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Whether or not he "deserves it", booing him still isn't cricket IMHO. I know it happens an awful lot in many sports, but that doesn't make it alright. Fans should show some class. Sure, if it's really about what he did to Webber, it's not as simple as hating 'the other team', but I don't think that means it doesn't warrant any class, especially if what they are deriding Vettel for is a failure to show his in Malaysia. You don't have to be a super-fan and jump up and down and cheer, but is it not enough to just remain silent?
I agree, booing just shows a lack off class on the part of the booer. By booing a competeitor you're announcing to the world that you are a drunken, ignorant yob. Clap and cheer anyone who does well and if you really want to vent your anger, do it quietly.

Imagine how it would feel for the driver if his trophy presentation drew absolute silence. That would surely get the message across and if you're the only one being silent and everyone else is cheering, then maybe your on your own...
Old 24 Sep 2013, 08:41 (Ref:3308632)   #32
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the GP extremely boring and Vettel's domination a bit too much but a win is a win and if anything, it shows how brilliant the driver is! So booing is UNACCEPTABLE. It is a pure disgrace and somehow IT HAS TO STOP.

One thing is to not be the most inspired spectator by the end of the GP, it is quite another to boo a driver who mastered the race like Vettel did!!
Old 24 Sep 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3308709)   #33
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
Malaysia 2013 opened a window on his soul and a lot of us didn't like what we saw and heard.
There was a lot more that the average F1 fan and the general public didn't see and hear. The conversation during the cool down lap between both drivers and the team was very interesting to say the least. And what was not heard was even more interesting. There were occasions where Vettel was seemingly chatting / answering to himself with no one on the other end of the radio??

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want to, but I do not for one second believe Vettel was on his own when "he" made the decision to overtake Webber. Horner and Roc were heard on the world feed discouraging Vettel. But I believe there was someone encouraging him to pass. Vettel wasn't on his own.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 12:20 (Ref:3308713)   #34
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
F1 isn't cricket. It's fast and passionate and that's reflected in the reactions of its fan base. F1 has a coliseum aspect to it.

It's nonsense to say it's because he's winning all the time. The Malaysia incident was the catalyst and it's Vettel that reaped the wind that he himself has sown. i.e some harmless sounds of displeasure that has been sent in his direction.

There's no stopping it unless you think Eccelstone should have "applause" signs in big neo-lights hoisted above the flags during podium time as a cue to the crowd to know when to applause. Maybe they can dub it with applause to replace the booing? The only way you can control crowd reactions is to hold a minute silence for something or other!
Old 24 Sep 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3308719)   #35
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
CH says :
"He is a great kid. He has a great sense of humour. He has a big heart at the end of the day."
Horner telling it as it is. Vettel is a genuine guy, and I imagine he is having a little difficulty understanding the mindset of those who insist on booing him.

However, as he matures and becomes even more successful I expect he will learn to revel in it and satisfy himself with the knowledge that he is a far better human being than they are.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 13:22 (Ref:3308753)   #36
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is it just me or am I alone in thinking its odd that in Singapore of all places it is the driver standing next to Alonso who gets booed?

Fair enough if you don't like SV because he screwed his team mate over, it's a legitimate reason, but why not apply that standard evenly?
Old 24 Sep 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3308757)   #37
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Is it just me or am I alone in thinking its odd that in Singapore of all places it is the driver standing next to Alonso who gets booed?

Fair enough if you don't like SV because he screwed his team mate over, it's a legitimate reason, but why not apply that standard evenly?
Alonso gets away more than Vettel, true. Alonso threatened to grass up Dennis. He became a bit of a Schumacher type for me then. A complex figure I liked and disliked at the same time.

It's a latin thing with people most probably. Alonso is a romantic figure and is more easily forgiven whereas Vettel's antics aren't accorded the same sympathy. I do accord Alonso more respect for the substantial reason that he has tested himself with a number of teams. That may await Vettel in the future.

That said, Vettel's bad sportsmanship was recent and time heals all wounds as long as he doesn't compound his faux pas with more faux pas...like..uh..winning all the time.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3308763)   #38
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It's nonsense to say it's because he's winning all the time. The Malaysia incident was the catalyst and it's Vettel that reaped the wind that he himself has sown. !
Malaysia the catalyst...really...?

This Vettel loathing started WAY before that, go back and read posts from the last few years. Each Vettel transgression no matter how insignificant has its adherents. We had the “I chose so & so as DOTR because he/I/we/they are/are not British” joke, the finger haters, (which gave me reason to create this fan favourite quite awhile ago):

We have the “I hate his celebratory screams, it’s all about the car, Newey is the real champion, he is immature, he complains too much, he’s a cheater, he has no competition, Mark's car is deliberately sabotaged” and so on long before Multi21 which has now become the latest cause célèbre to fuel the Vettel hatred arguments. Of course we also now have the self-professed guardians of F1 who hate him for the sake of sport.

No one will ever convince me if Vettel stuck his finger up his arse, never said another word and donated 100 percent of his winnings to charity it wouldn’t make a bit of difference to the haters…if he kept winning.

Neither will anyone ever convince me that if the current behaviour was exactly the same, but the 4 time WDC was Hamilton, Button or Raikkonen we'd hear nary a peep of discontent.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I doubt it either scenario will ever happen.

Last edited by Spritle; 24 Sep 2013 at 13:59.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3308773)   #39
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Malaysia the catalyst...really...?

This Vettel loathing started WAY before that, go back and read posts from the last few years. Each Vettel transgression no matter how insignificant has its adherents. We had the “I chose so & so as DOTR because he/I/we/they are/are not British” joke, the finger haters, (which gave me reason to create this fan favourite quite awhile ago):

We have the “I hate his celebratory screams, it’s all about the car, Newey is the real champion, he is immature, he complains too much, he’s a cheater, he has no competition” and so on long before Multi21 which has now become the latest cause célèbre to fuel the Vettel hatred arguments. Of course we also now have the self-professed guardians of F1 who hate him for the sake of sport.

No one will ever convince me if Vettel stuck his finger up his arse, never said another word and donated 100 percent of his winnings to charity it wouldn’t make a bit of difference to the haters…if he kept winning.

Neither will anyone ever convince me that if the current behaviour was exactly the same, but the 4 time WDC was Hamilton, Button or Raikkonen we'd hear nary a peep of discontent.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I doubt it either scenario will ever happen.
The trackside booing started with the Malaysia thing or at least gathered significant momentum at Malaysia. He's been disliked long before that. And why not? People are entitled to like or not to like whom they please. I'm bemused as to why some people are so upset by that.

There is a querie as to which talents has contributed most to Red Bull success. Adrian Newey or Sebestian Vettel? Has Vettel transcended his machinery or has Newey given him another wonder car that any very good driver could make hay with? It's a perfectly legitimate topic.

I don't like Vettel myself for reasons some of which you have listed but I would most certainly be having this conversation with any driver in his place whether I personally liked the guy or not.

Last edited by Paradise City; 24 Sep 2013 at 14:15.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3308779)   #40
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
We have the “I hate his celebratory screams,...
people do like to see famous people humbled. it makes them more accessible somehow when you get to see them get their comeuppance and its during their comeback (perhaps in this case it happens when SV joins another team) when the hate will finally start to subside a bit and we can finally appreciate everything he has done. time and perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
A complex figure I liked and disliked at the same time.
thats a really good description of Alonso. i also feel he is now in this boat for me. his career has stagnated (in terms of titles), he has been through some very public sporting scandals, and he has come through it and is still trying his hardest. he is a complex figure indeed...although i could do with less of the samurai quotes

but thats my fault for following him on twitter!
Old 24 Sep 2013, 14:26 (Ref:3308782)   #41
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Yes, people are entitled to like/dislike whoever they want. But I cannot remember consistent booing of any driver over the course of several races in different countries in F1 before. Even Schumacher and Senna, who both behaved far worse than Vettel has ever done have not been subject to this sort of thing, apart from the odd one-off I would imagine.

It goes beyond the normal team and driver loyalties. I don't like Vettel, but he does not deserve to be booed, especially when we have just witnessed him showing breathtaking raw speed that no-one else has been close to all weekend.

Anyway, David Coulthard pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...lled-fans.html
Old 24 Sep 2013, 14:26 (Ref:3308783)   #42
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even in Germany people don't seem to care about him that much, just compare the near silence from his win at the Nurburgring this year to the crazy atmosphere of the Michael Schumacher days where German fans were so passionate some of them literally threatened to kill rival drivers.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 14:58 (Ref:3308786)   #43
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect the real worry here from Horner et al is that this is very bad for the owner/sponsor. Coulthard talks about F1 fans respecting the gentlemenly values of the sport but Vettel hasn't always shown these or been very sporting at times.

What goes around...
Old 24 Sep 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3308790)   #44
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I were Bernie I'd consider to agree with Mateschitz to put Vettel one year out of F1, moving him to LeMans Series or IndyCars... All paid by Red Bull his alternative purpose. And just to see what his replacement do with his car. Just to see if is the talent (that indeed is) or is the car that makes Sebastian invincible.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3308791)   #45
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Yes, people are entitled to like/dislike whoever they want. But I cannot remember consistent booing of any driver over the course of several races in different countries in F1 before.
It's this new podium format that's partly bringing it about, the spectacle of the 'address the crowd' interviews; the spectators feel they are being invited to be a bigger part of it. I wouldn't be surprised if RBR were lobbying to revert to the previous one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Even Schumacher and Senna, who both behaved far worse than Vettel has ever done have not been subject to this sort of thing, apart from the odd one-off I would imagine.
You can add one F.Alonso to that list.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 15:27 (Ref:3308793)   #46
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some utter drivel written on here about booing.

For goodness sake, do you really think anyone involved gives the slightest damn about the intent.

the ONLY thing they are worried about is brand damage, which is why Horner is coming out with this tripe.

No matter what you think, if you had paid a gazillion quid to watch some bloke lead from the front and utterly dominate you would not be happy, unless you worked for Red Bull or a Vettel fan, which I might add there seem to be very few of considering his success.

It is human nature, and those who call it things like disgusting! Grow a pair for God's sake, imagine being a boxer, WWF wrestler, some of the abuse I have heard thrown at footballers over the years, this is nothing. It is booing the lack of show, the utter dullness of the racing. Vettel couldn't give two hoots, but he might be surprised!

It maybe isn't directed at Seb, more at the dominance shown by them, and the apparent rule changing allowing them 2012 tyres, since then they have utterly dominated it seems. It is laughable at their treatment of Webber, and he seems to have totally given up and I don't blame him.

Either way bring it on, but instead of booing, stop watching, that might make things happen, or never buy Red Bull (I never have).
Old 24 Sep 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3308795)   #47
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Some utter drivel written on here about booing.
Booooo!!!!!
Old 24 Sep 2013, 15:35 (Ref:3308796)   #48
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this now the most removed from reality thread in F1?

Seems there are people here with enough time on their hands to worry about this a whole lot more than Vettel or Horner are doing.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3308807)   #49
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
No this is not removed from reality. Because it is happening in reality in F1 now. Drivers are talking about it. Journalists are talking about it. Commentators are talking about it. Horner is talking about it. And if Red Bull are not talking about it, they had better be, seeing as their cars are mega expensive marketing devices designed to sell their drinks.

So, I think it is worthy of discussion.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 16:22 (Ref:3308811)   #50
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And while everyone is talking about booing, what exactly is going on behind the scenes? "A good day to bury bad news" and all that...