Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Oct 2003, 02:48 (Ref:752838)   #76
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i'd buy 2 Porsche Carrera GT's then convert them to GTS lemans spec to run in the ALMS and Spa 24 hours and lemans 1000k if the dates didn't clash. then i'd hire Tommy Archer, David Donahue, and Hurley Haywood to race the 1st car and then Milka Duno, Dannica Pattrick, and Justin Marks to drive the other. got to give the upcoming drivers a fair chance right
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:08 (Ref:753108)   #77
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
The Only Change I would make to my Dan Gurney & All-American racing operated LMP1 program
Already???
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:12 (Ref:753113)   #78
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Build Your Own Race Team!

Quote:
Originally posted by GT-Eins
Instead of running a pack of own cars and fat slow, overpaid drivers - I WOULD RUN A WHOLE SERIES FOR SEVERAL YEARS OF THAT MONEY!!!!
(...with fat, slow, underpaid...)
Brilliant idea - can you say "Ă–SCAR"
On the other hand, with the exception of Bill & Bernie, series owners/operators usually go down in flames (beware Don Panoz, beware Stephane Ratel, the end is nigh...)
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:35 (Ref:753132)   #79
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many of us would be willing to contribute to such a project from our own funds? How much do we need to run, say, a GT entry at LM? Anyone thinking what i'm thinking???!
I know i'd certainly be up for a small part of a big project, but maybe not this year!!
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:49 (Ref:753144)   #80
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrimage
Anyone thinking what i'm thinking???!
Yes, and it's been thought about before.
You'd be surprised how few people are actually prepared to contribute to such a scheme.

Quote:
I know i'd certainly be up for a small part of a big project, but maybe not this year!!
See?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 13:04 (Ref:753242)   #81
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had to stop me dreaming didn't you!!!
Old 17 Oct 2003, 03:08 (Ref:753969)   #82
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Hmmmm -

I would model a business plan.

Racing is a business and should be treated as one. If I wanted to run a successful sports car team which is my first love, I would need a constant source of income.

I would run a couple of teams to develop crew talent and driver talent at the lower levels and also run a Busch series team to keep the income stream open with corp. dollars.

I would start my sports car program in SCCA World Challenge series. Along with running a Forumla Ford team in SCCA and USAC (wings and without)

Then in 3-4 years when I feel the ALMS would be profitable, I would run GT, then GTS and finally LMP-1.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 07:29 (Ref:754083)   #83
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by dj4monie
Then in 3-4 years when I feel the ALMS would be profitable, I would run GT, then GTS and finally LMP-1. [/B]
And assuming, just for the sake of the argument, that the ALMS by then doesn't exist anymore - ?
Old 17 Oct 2003, 07:49 (Ref:754093)   #84
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
I think it will, but needs a series sponsor. I think they are very close to getting one, maybe a season or two longer.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 12:23 (Ref:754308)   #85
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4x Ford GT40's, and spend the rest on updating them.
I wouldn't want the Ford GT because there's something that doesn't look right.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 13:40 (Ref:754356)   #86
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
4x Ford GT40's, and spend the rest on updating them.
There wouldn't be much of a rest left.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:40 (Ref:754596)   #87
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll give this a try. To be a bit different also, I would buy three of the Panoz LMP-07's (two race cars and one spare). Spend a good amount of money on development to solve the problems that were encountered in the first project and to update the aero side. Ford power. Build a solid team with Dan Gurney at the helm. I would run ALMS and Le Mans. Drivers would be Scott Sharp and PJ Jones in the first car, and Johnny Herbert and Allan Mcnish in the second car. For the endurance races I would add Sam Hornish Jr. and Gil De Feran (he'll get bored with retirement). That gives me an all american car and an international car. Leftover money would be utilized for testing, future development, and future race budgets.

My first choice would be Audi R8's with updates, but that choice was done already.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 10:11 (Ref:755724)   #88
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
My idea is a sort of modern day All American Racers. Once we moved to ALMS we would go our own chassis, designed by Tony Southgate.

It would be an enclosed LMP-1 car with 6.0L Ford DOHC power developed by Doug & Robert Yates Racing with some direct help from Ford because of our long time involvement with them in other series.

I would throw roughly 30-40 million at it. That should cover developement cost and Ford should fund about 50% of the engine development.

Drivers would be -

Tommy Kendal - USA
Tommy Archer - USA
Marc Duez - Bel

That would be the 6" and over car

The second -

Jan Lammers - Neth
Mika Salo - Neth
Max Papis - Itl

Up and coming drivers would be entred in longer races in 3rd car for Sebring, Le Mans, Petit, at least one european event.

My sponsors would be -

X-Box/Mircosoft
Nivdia Graphics

with specially painted cars for Le Mans, Petit, Road America and Sears Point

They would be -

Halo 2 for the XBox - Road America and Sears Point

DOOM 3 for the XBox - Petit Le Mans

Sega GT Online for the XBox and XBox Live - Le Mans

Last edited by dj4monie; 19 Oct 2003 at 10:13.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 11:58 (Ref:755832)   #89
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by dj4monie
My idea is a sort of modern day All American Racers. Once we moved to ALMS we would go our own chassis, designed by Tony Southgate.

It would be an enclosed LMP-1 car with 6.0L Ford DOHC power developed by Doug & Robert Yates Racing with some direct help from Ford because of our long time involvement with them in other series.

I would throw roughly 30-40 million at it. That should cover developement cost and Ford should fund about 50% of the engine development.

Drivers would be -

Tommy Kendal - USA
Tommy Archer - USA
Marc Duez - Bel

That would be the 6" and over car

The second -

Jan Lammers - Neth
Mika Salo - Neth
Max Papis - Itl

Up and coming drivers would be entred in longer races in 3rd car for Sebring, Le Mans, Petit, at least one european event.

My sponsors would be -

X-Box/Mircosoft
Nivdia Graphics

with specially painted cars for Le Mans, Petit, Road America and Sears Point

They would be -

Halo 2 for the XBox - Road America and Sears Point

DOOM 3 for the XBox - Petit Le Mans

Sega GT Online for the XBox and XBox Live - Le Mans
Mika Salo is from Finland not from Holland/The Netherlands.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 22:28 (Ref:757553)   #90
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
And I suspect that Kendall, Archer and Duez are over six feet ('), as well as six inches (").
Old 21 Oct 2003, 00:21 (Ref:757638)   #91
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He must have some inside information for the over 6" club!?!
Old 21 Oct 2003, 02:00 (Ref:757673)   #92
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
gosh am i the only one willing to give the youngsters any chance at all since i'd be running them full season and not just as an extra entry at the enduros? c'mon people have a heart lol