Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1512879)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ghosn on Renault - performnce the key to continuation

At the R26 launch Carlos Ghosn opened up about the rumours surrounding Renault's possible departure from the sport in 2007.

He is supposed to have said that as long as Renault's performance is still strong and they are putting on a good 'show' then he sees no reason to pull out.

He also, however refers to uncertainty about the rules which i aimagine centres around potential cost concerns.....

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/060131/23/gnt7.html

On the basis of this story, Fernando had better hope he's made the right decision both Hekki and Fizzi will be rubbing their hands with anticipation....
Old 31 Jan 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1512924)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
"The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded."

Edited for the following:

I assume the post below this one is quoting the article linked above, due to my mentioning I was unable to access it.

If that is so, and I will work on the basis of that until told otherwise, I will attibutue http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/060131/23/gnt7.html to the below quoted material.

However, it may be an idea to do so in their own post. Also, I may not remember correctly, but you really shouldn't quote the enitre article.

(However, I appreciate it, ).
Old 31 Jan 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1512927)   #3
ssilviu
Rookie

Romania
Romania
ssilviu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paddock rumours said the departure of Fernando Alonso could also mean Renault does not have a long-term commitment to Formula One. Talking at the launch Renault President and CEO, Carlos Ghosn, revealed Renault won't quit Formula One if it continues to fight at the front of the field.

"As long as we continue to perform well, we offer a good show, and obviously we are at the top level of Formula One, then there are not questions about the future in Formula One," said Ghosn. "Obviously, there is some uncertainty about the conditions in which Formula One will evolve beginning in 2008. This is not a preoccupation of Renault alone, it is a preoccupation for all manufacturers trying to figure out what will be the environment of Formula 1."

The Renault President continued saying about Renault's future in Formula 1: "But if I eliminate this uncertainty, if I consider that we are going to come to a good resolution of the questions we have, and that Formula One will continue to have a good, fair return on investments for car manufacturers in general and for the winner in particular, then we must be there."

"In the meantime, I am counting on the Renault F1 Team, on the team we have in Enstone and the people in Viry-Châtillon to really perform well, to offer us a good show and hopefully bring back the trophy again in 2006."
Old 31 Jan 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1512934)   #4
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It seems to me he is saying they will stay in F1 as long as it is deemed worth it.

I see nothing new here.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1512952)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
General Motors and Ford would not even consider it to be "worth it" in the current economic climate.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1512954)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, yeah, given that they are in bad economic circumstances, it is not likely.

GM especially unlikely, given that their market is North America.....and there is not much interest in F1 in these parts!
Old 31 Jan 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1512971)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
For another source to the same information, but with some additional comments, check out Formula1.com.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1513424)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well Dutton thanks for bringing the link cock up to my attention, but i guess i didn't copy and paste the right link.

I only did it in the first place so someone didn't ask me where the source was!!!

Your later link is greatly appreciated though.

Re Ghosn's comments i think it's interesting that he's made these comments in light of what Alonso has alledged about them not asking him to resign long term or words to that effect.

Sure, the president is singing from the same hymsheet as other manufacturers when he's talking about cost effectiveness or 'bangs per bucks' but one has to ask the question, if Renault are gonna carry on for the forseeable future, why on earth didn't they make a better effort at keeping FA?

Surely he wouldn't have walked out if Ghosn and for that matter Patrick Faure are totally accurate with their summaries of Renault's situation?
Old 1 Feb 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1513427)   #9
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of an obvious one I'd say. We know Renaults commitment to an ongoing F1 campaign is in question so it goes without saying that continued success will encourage them to stay and not being competitive will have them packing up their bags.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1513429)   #10
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oops hadn't finished post. I think what could encourage them to stay along with continued performance are the talks to reduce and control costs, the same factors that would make Penske, Prodrive and the Berger team to enter F1. Then financially it could be more compelling for Renault.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1513498)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss
oops hadn't finished post. I think what could encourage them to stay along with continued performance are the talks to reduce and control costs, then financially it could be more compelling for Renault.
Yep, they are certainly referring to this aspect a lot at the moment.

Further fuel to this debate is the following:

Patrick Faure is stepping down at the end of the year - he also says he could have guaranteed Alonso that they would still be racing in 2008?

Re confirmation that Mild 7 is on it's way at the end of the year, meaning: 'we will have to find at least 3 replacement sponsors to cover it' he says.

Hmmm, could it be another case of Jaguar?? the personnel are well keen to continue but the manufacturer may not be because it will struggle to foot the bigger bill caused by loss of main sponsor?

Perhaps Flavio will take over the outfit and run it himself, or pair up with a wannabe team like ART?!
Old 4 Feb 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1515510)   #12
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i cannot see flavio staying with the team more then 2 years imo. He often talks about leaving at least once a year, and i remember in 2004 he said once he gets renault to win the champtionship his work is done and he can relax and spend time on his other projects and his family (wife)
Old 7 Feb 2006, 02:16 (Ref:1516984)   #13
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to The Wall Street Journal and other news sources, Ghosn will outline his strategy for the Renault company on Thursday, February 9. While he probably won't directly address the question of whether Renault will stay in F1, his talk may contain some hints about his thinking towards the F1 team.

The next big item on his hyper-busy job agenda is unveiling Renault's turnaround plan on Feb. 9. Fixing Renault should be easier than saving Nissan. The French car company is profitable, has little debt, and is expanding into some key emerging markets: India, Iran, South Korea and Eastern Europe. But Mr. Ghosn isn't so sure. At Nissan, "the need to break with the past and adopt radical solutions" was obvious to all. At Renault the task is more subtle: taking a company that is in reasonably good shape and getting it to full potential. "In France I have choices," he explains. "In Japan, I didn't. There are pros and cons as to which is more difficult."

The Wall Street Journal, 1/14/06
Old 8 Feb 2006, 02:53 (Ref:1517733)   #14
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's more from the BBC about Ghosn's upcoming announcement about his strategy for the Renault company. The article mentions Ghosn's pledge to remain in F1 "as long as we continue to perform well and offer a good show at the top level."

BBC: 'Le Costcutter' prepares Renault shake-up:
Wednesday, 8 February 2006, 00:21 GMT
By Jorn Madslien
BBC News business reporter

Nerves are frayed at Renault, as its workers brace themselves for the worst.

Mr Ghosn will reveal details about how he intends to fix Renault

On Thursday this week, Renault chief executive Carlos Ghosn will reveal the details of a three-year restructuring plan that will change the way the French car maker operates...
Old 9 Feb 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1518590)   #15
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Renault to decide 'year on year' on F1

News ticker tape on BBC Sport, full story to follow. Assuming it is true, it is a recipe for uncertainity and indecision. Also very damaging for morale I would have thought.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1518646)   #16
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think even with no announcement this would be the case, they have won the championship and most regular punters on the street still think Ferrari when they think F1.
Makes sense for car manufacturers to evaluate wither or not the money spent on F1 is returning through car sales and public awarness, and if not no point in spending it all.
If the "cost curtting" in the sport starts working then I dont think it will be as big an issue for manufacturers because the investment/returs gap will then be smaller for sure.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1518657)   #17
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
maybe unsettling, but a good move on their part i'd say. makes sense.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1518682)   #18
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's no surprise Alonso left then is it. Gets himself a decent race seat for 2007 while he has the chance.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1518695)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there's nowt "not decent" about the renault team if you look back on last year in alonso's case anyway...i think you're trying to say by moving you see him as having a more stable position..?
Old 9 Feb 2006, 10:56 (Ref:1518700)   #20
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Link to story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/4696156.stm
Old 9 Feb 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1518714)   #21
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
by the look of the guts growing on Flav I think his interest may be waining.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1518801)   #22
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This does not sound like a good idea to me. They should either pull out or commit again for a decent period of time. In a sport which always needs to plan ahead (design, staff, facitlites), it must be most unsettling not to know whether you'll be there form one year to the next. It wouldn't suprise me if more key personnel started to leave, which might affect the team's performance, which might in-turn hasten Renault's withdrawal.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1518806)   #23
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
there's nowt "not decent" about the renault team if you look back on last year in alonso's case anyway...i think you're trying to say by moving you see him as having a more stable position..?
I mean that say if Renault decided to quit at the end of this year. Presumably by then, the top teams would have their seats all filled. I think he has been wise in moving now while he had top drives available. I can't see Mclaren quitting F1 in the near future.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1518835)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this a new story or just a continuation or late reporting of this: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=ghosn
?
Old 9 Feb 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1519013)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Nothing very revealing about his latest comments then?

We'll decide on a yearly basis whether it's worth carrying on or not is the gist as i see it?

Right, if they team isn't in the fight for the title this year then i'd guess it's curtains!

However, if the lower cost formula is ratified quickly and everyone knows where they stand for 2008 then that could have a major positive influence in Ghosn's mind.

As i've mentioned elsewhere, if they do pull out as a manufacturer team, I feel that the Renault engines may well stay in F1 perhaps in the back of another teams cars?! Conveniently Alosno has already signed for Mclaren who could well be entering into a seriously sticky phase with Mercedes?!

Hmmm...