Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Aug 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3924361)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good luck and good to know you are ok. The car can be fixed easier than you.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 18:45 (Ref:3924401)   #27
mike faloon
Rookie

mike faloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Attachment 53828
March 793 at Oulton Park with Mike Granddaughter the lovely Emily.Interesting most spectators were interested more in the hoist than my F3 car.
Thanks Iain, Emily is most impressed, she'd already been given a Zandvoort Historic cap by that other legend Keith Messer.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3924407)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvalveelan View Post
It was my Elan - hit the barrier pretty hard coming out of Druids - car pretty much destroyed itself but all the safety parts cage,Hans,seat (especially the seat) kept me fine and amazingly I don’t feel any the worse for wear.

Strange thing is that I reviewed the video and didn’t do anything particularly unusual - wheel on the kerb as we exited the corner (I was right behind a 23B) and then got spat off into the inside barrier. Only thing that makes sense to me is that there was oil in the kerb (there’s been a lot of oil on the track), I was in third rather than normal top gear and the diff did the rest.

I’ve had lots of support, have sourced many of the spare parts and ready for the rather full rebuild

Paul Tooms
Good that you are OK Paul. Don't forget the Delta saying "what man made man can repair".Keep us posted on the rebuild.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 19:10 (Ref:3924537)   #29
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic weather for all four days we were there.
Lovely circuit, spent most of the track action days at Knickerbrook or Cascades, decent spots to watch a fair part of the circuit.
The event lacks a headline series or two. For me it's lost the appeal that used to drag me up the M5/M6. Combined with the poor catering in the resturant in the morning/evening, I think I need a break from the meeting for a while.
Shame really as Cadwell and Brands handle the catering really well.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 19:17 (Ref:3924538)   #30
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and what happened to the F5000 50th anniversary event ?
Old 28 Aug 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3924544)   #31
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always enjoyed this meeting but agree it needs a headline race to justify its title. Date is just too close to Goodwood to justify a higher profile.
MSV website made much of F5000 anniversary but nothing in paddock or on track.
Old 29 Aug 2019, 06:31 (Ref:3924592)   #32
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I was at Brands but normally attend the Gold Cup . For many years it had a real buzz , with big grids , the odd Masters F1 race and some lovely sports racers . But I have found it like turning up to a big gig and finding only the support band is playing .

The problem is clearly the usual malaise in the sport - as soon as one initiative grows wings everybody wants a slice .Result - more than enough cars out there but as circuits are all fishing in the same pond , loyalties and preferences change and everyone loses .

Goodwood may have kick started the serious classic festival but its prices , exclusivity and astonishing attention to detail mean it is sui generis , with no real rivals. But nearly every other venue has taken to calling a routine historic meeting a bloody festival , with the inevitable dressing up and overhyped publicity . Result ? In the UK , Goodwood apart, only the Classic really delivers .

Donington was a case in point - every year it bombards me with hype, some years I fall for it and find a 2 day event - at best - stretched over 3, that whichever day I make the 300mile round trip I feel I should have been the day before , or after , and end up watching a bunch of MGs and Jags qualify for what seems like hours and never get to see the T70s on the poster as only one turned up and it broke . Or the race starts at 6pm,with an afternoon spent watching MGs and Jags . Again .

Geography is an issue too - while many feel happy enough (and why not ?) to load up the trailer , take the ferry or tunnel and drive to a distant circuit it is sad when circuits like Croft or Cadwell are dismissed as if they were somewhere in the Shetlands rather than ,in Croft's case, another 2hours listening to the radio on the A1 . Cadwell can be fiddlier for some, but as it is comfortably our prettiest circuit, and a joy to drive (or simply to spectate) it is always worth it.
Old 29 Aug 2019, 07:10 (Ref:3924594)   #33
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What with the heat and the holiday traffic, I gave this and Brands a miss and went to Castle Combe instead. 12 races, huge crowd, great atmosphere, wonderful mix of cars modern and not so modern through to minis and midgets. Combe is mostly debris fencing free and the banks are just yards from the track so spectating is real old style. I had a fine day from breakfast in the paddock until the last race. Cost me all of a tenner.
Old 29 Aug 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3924597)   #34
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep along with CSCC aswell.Big grids,to big in some cases with reserves, lovely cars, cracking racing, decent croud and all at a fraction of what you'd pay for Oulton Historic or Donington Historic
Old 29 Aug 2019, 10:41 (Ref:3924617)   #35
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I must admit to being horrified at VSCC price at Brands - I arrived on Sat pm for CSCC on Sun/Mon , decided to watch the old cars but I was shocked at 25 quid ticket and also charging for grandstand . For cars I can see at Harewood for a tenner, and with no racing per se until mid afternoon .

Don't know the CSCC going rate as I get a freebie but I am sure it's far , far better value .
Old 29 Aug 2019, 12:12 (Ref:3924636)   #36
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the VSCC and Brands both acted pretty dishonestly by promising so much but not publicising what a poor event it was going to be after they cut so much of the advertised content. Prices should have been reduced and people told well ahead what to expect. Bad show all round
Old 29 Aug 2019, 13:06 (Ref:3924661)   #37
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I must admit to being horrified at VSCC price at Brands - I arrived on Sat pm for CSCC on Sun/Mon , decided to watch the old cars but I was shocked at 25 quid ticket and also charging for grandstand . For cars I can see at Harewood for a tenner, and with no racing per se until mid afternoon .

Don't know the CSCC going rate as I get a freebie but I am sure it's far , far better value .

CSCC for non stop racing spanning from 50 to late 00s was 16 quid on the gate. I imagine about 12 online. Not bad .
Old 30 Aug 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3924806)   #38
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Circuit admission prices are almost always set by the circuits themselves for club-type meetings - they take all the gate proceeds.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 11:31 (Ref:3924815)   #39
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Circuit admission prices are almost always set by the circuits themselves for club-type meetings - they take all the gate proceeds.
Exactly! We’ve got varying ticket prices being quoted for OP HSCC, BH VSCC and BH CSCC, with both circuits owned by MSV! As they are all club meetings I really am surprised that prices are not on parr or at least close to...... I’m going to check on prices at Snett for AMOC this w/end, and see what they are.

£16 for adult on the gate. (one day meeting) presume was £12 in advance, as is the VSCC meeting in Sept and MGCC meeting beginning of October......

Last edited by Mike Bell; 30 Aug 2019 at 11:39.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 14:12 (Ref:3924839)   #40
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Exactly! We’ve got varying ticket prices being quoted for OP HSCC, BH VSCC and BH CSCC, with both circuits owned by MSV! As they are all club meetings I really am surprised that prices are not on parr or at least close to...... I’m going to check on prices at Snett for AMOC this w/end, and see what they are.

£16 for adult on the gate. (one day meeting) presume was £12 in advance, as is the VSCC meeting in Sept and MGCC meeting beginning of October......
All club meets such as CSCC,MSVR,BRSCC and smaller HSCC are all the same price at MSV tracks anyway.

They have risen in last couple of years annoyingly.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3924851)   #41
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
I think the VSCC and Brands both acted pretty dishonestly by promising so much but not publicising what a poor event it was going to be after they cut so much of the advertised content. Prices should have been reduced and people told well ahead what to expect. Bad show all round
Totally agree. We bought in advance for £20 and that was to much for what was there. Really poor show from VSCC and Brands.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 16:00 (Ref:3924853)   #42
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
All club meets such as CSCC,MSVR,BRSCC and smaller HSCC are all the same price at MSV tracks anyway.
So why was VSCC more then?
Old 30 Aug 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3924856)   #43
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Because it was billed as a big meeting by brands probably.Prices vary at Brands for example DTM has higher prices thsn British Gt even though both are big meets.

VSCC should have had tje club meet treatment.Perhaps all parties yhough it have more interest as a meeting.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 21:19 (Ref:3924893)   #44
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I do know that the VSCC generally negotiate a cut of the gate money for theur meetings, which may add to the overall cost.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 23:41 (Ref:3924901)   #45
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Perhaps giving the spectators who were basically ripped off a free ticket to the next VSCC meeting at Brands?
Old 31 Aug 2019, 07:44 (Ref:3924931)   #46
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
When I was involved with 750 M/C way back . We were not allowed to advertise our meetings . The reason behind this was surposed to be that the spectator would miss our meeting but go to one organised by the circuit club .
Old 31 Aug 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3924998)   #47
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ISTR that 20 years or so ago the 750MC looked at running events closed to spectators. The reasoning was to cut the insurance premium and hence reduce costs to competitors.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Aug 2019, 23:22 (Ref:3925039)   #48
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Glad they didn't I really enjoy the 750mc meetings.