Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Apr 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3899775)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The Brit 'Young Guns' Do they remind us of the Lost Generation of the 70's?

Albon, Norris and Russell...

Struck me that they are particularly good drivers and perhaps the best crop of young Brits (yes yes I know the Thai connection with Alex) for years.

They remind me a little of 'Lost Generation' trio of Williamson, Brise and Pryce , perhaps the last time 3 such strong youngsters from UK came into F1?
Old 26 Apr 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3899799)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well the three in the 70s didn't quite arrive at the same time like the 3 in F1 this season, but I can see the similarities. They have arrived with good pedigree and great results in lower formula and are showing their potential in F1. At least they have a better chance of showing it, as fate should not get in the way like it did for the lost generation
Old 26 Apr 2019, 16:01 (Ref:3899815)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well the three in the 70s didn't quite arrive at the same time like the 3 in F1 this season, but I can see the similarities. They have arrived with good pedigree and great results in lower formula and are showing their potential in F1. At least they have a better chance of showing it, as fate should not get in the way like it did for the lost generation
Excepting the odd drain cover, of course... good job Russell wasn't towing anyone along the straight.
Old 27 Apr 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3899930)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
.... good job Russell wasn't towing anyone along the straight.
Hehehe the tow driver hardly covered himself in glory!
Old 27 Apr 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3899936)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
No, added to the farce when the pickup truck hit the bridge
Old 27 Apr 2019, 13:49 (Ref:3900000)   #6
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hehehe the tow driver hardly covered himself in glory!

Is "glory" what they call hydraulic fluid down under?
Old 29 Apr 2019, 22:37 (Ref:3900587)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hmmm perhaps i'm being overly cynical but drain covers, whilst an amusing and unfortunate side story to Baku, they have no relevance to the point of this thread?
Old 4 May 2019, 11:20 (Ref:3901702)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There have been several generations like this.

For me the Bailey, Blundell, Herbert, McCarthy generation under achieved, but maybe were not good enough anyway.

Not sure why these guys ahve all managed to get here so quickly, but I think Norris is quality, npot sure on Russell, Williams would seem a great ride, but not now!
Old 4 May 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3901873)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

Indeed there have. Certainly those names mentioned were good enough, although McCarthy was unlucky to be in a car that was well off the best. Blundell and Bailey were good enough, although we never know how much they could have achieved

Norris has done alright so far, certainly against Sainz. Russell needs a better car, that Williams team past it’s best is not enougj for his talent, then again true talent will shine through
Old 4 May 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3901877)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Were Blundell and Bailey really good enough? I'm personally not so sure.
Old 5 May 2019, 11:25 (Ref:3901956)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

Blundell was good enough for a few podiums, but that’s about it. Bailey wasn’t a bad driver, just a shame the cars he was in were a disappointment. But certainly no WC material
Old 5 May 2019, 13:11 (Ref:3901996)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was merely thinking of the last time there was a glut of drivers from a certain era.
Hill, Blundell, Irvine, Bailey, Wallace, McCarthy (never really there in my op), Herbert.

Some did well.

You could add Paul Warwick to that list too I think.

Don't they all meet up or something?
Old 6 May 2019, 08:43 (Ref:3902165)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Herbert certainly was before injury. Even though he was never the same he still won 3 GP's! Donnelly is part of the 'Rat Pack' too.

Warwick was in a later generation of drivers to those mentioned above. The other Brits at his time were McNish, Alcorn and one or two others?

I'm thinking Morris is like Williamson, Russell is Pryce and Albon is Brise...
Old 6 May 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3902195)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

Herbert’s injuries certainly didn’t help. Who knows what he could have achieved, as he showed he was good enough for F1.

Donnelly, what a shame about him, he had a lot of potential in front of him.

Warwick Jr, certainly deserved a chance in F1, fate took it away. Plenty seemed to get their chance in F1 at the time

I feel Williamson is one who could have made it far. Russell has done alright so far, not sure if he will make as big a mark as Pryce. Albon has done everything right so far, but he needs to sustain it. Will he have the career Brise should have had? Possibly
Old 11 May 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3903119)   #15
andrewn7
Rookie

United Kingdom
andrewn7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandrewn7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post

Norris has done alright so far, certainly against Sainz. Russell needs a better car, that Williams team past it’s best is not enougj for his talent, then again true talent will shine through
I was lucky enough to see Norris and Russell in the GP2 races at Silverstone last year. They were the class of the field, both very strong racers. Arguably Russell looked the stronger, more rounded, of the two, but agree Norris has lots of potential. Hopefully Russell can get a decent drive before his reputation gets trashed!
Old 14 May 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3903730)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

I think it will be interesting looking back in a few years time. Norris and Russell have potential, but that potential will mean nothing unless they make progress up the order. I think there is still a long way to go, but both drivers have shown enough to suggest they could have a long enough career in F1.