Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Sep 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2540056)   #151
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
you say that promax, last year our bathurst t shirts were about skaife retiring, one week latter .. gone

i think the difference between Cam and other drivers who are not performing as well, is that they have been racing v8's simce 1993. Cam has for one win.

Theers a reason the top teams havent picked him up as a driver. Not sure what it is, but certainly there are better drivers in the field in lessor equipment
Old 13 Sep 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2540066)   #152
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great race!

Lead change on the last lap and not a safety car in sight for the last half of the race, I did let out a cheer when Tander got lowndes (is that wrong being a DJR/Ford fan?). After have the pleasure of meeting Will Davison at PI last year and watching him win races this this year I'll be rapt if he wins the championship, such a nice guy and would be a great champion/ambassador for the sport.

The engine blow up on the PCR car was mega! hav'nt seen one let go like that in a long time, no doubt PCR and 888 will be asking for answers at KRE considering it was a new engine.

Even though I knew the outcome of the McConville's 'Wild Ride' my heart still skipped a beat when I saw the replay. I was at PI in 97 when Murphy hit the wall and that was sickening, so lucky he did'nt hit a wall at that speed or Besnard.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2540070)   #153
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
you say that promax, last year our bathurst t shirts were about skaife retiring, one week latter .. gone

i think the difference between Cam and other drivers who are not performing as well, is that they have been racing v8's simce 1993. Cam has for one win.

Theers a reason the top teams havent picked him up as a driver. Not sure what it is, but certainly there are better drivers in the field in lessor equipment
you think you're the reason Mark retired???

OMG how big is your ego!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2540080)   #154
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ok i left of the smiley face at the end of the sentence

but we did have a laugh at the time when he announced his retirement
Old 14 Sep 2009, 00:23 (Ref:2540105)   #155
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Lowndes isnt happy....

Last edited by GTRMagic; 15 Sep 2009 at 07:52.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Sep 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2540106)   #156
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Bayliss misses out..
Old 14 Sep 2009, 02:29 (Ref:2540141)   #157
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree with Crompton when he discounted S. Owen's comments, but i also fail to see when Owen isn't moving across to the right why McConville drives into him. He claims that incident shows why Mr Owen isn't in the main game, it might also show why Mr McConville isn't a member of a "faster" team
Old 14 Sep 2009, 03:25 (Ref:2540162)   #158
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
More...
Old 14 Sep 2009, 03:35 (Ref:2540163)   #159
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Quote:
"I had a run on him and there is just no point blocking like that on lap 20-odd of a 113-lap race.

"It was just not worth arguing over that piece of territory with 90-odd laps to go, it was just stupid."
So if there is no point block on lap 20 what is the point of passing on lap 20. That is a lame whinge if I have ever heard one.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 03:50 (Ref:2540166)   #160
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
And meantime Team BOC faces another rebuild from the PI endurance race...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team BOC Media Release
Team BOC Media Bulletin 4 of 4 Race 2 Summary: L&H 500 Phillip Island Raceway Victoria Rounds: 17 13.Sep.2009

Team BOC’s dream of a L&H 500 victory at Phillip Island ended dramatically today on lap 21 of the 113 lap race when part time driver Steve Owen tried to block Cam McConville’s inside run into turn one at over 280kph sending the Team BOC Commodore careering out of control across the gravel trap and out of the race.

Brad Jones, Co-Owner:
“What can you say, we had a very good car for the race today and be knocked out the way we were is a bitter pill to swallow. The team needs to regroup, and make amends at the Bathurst 1000 in a few weeks.”

Jason Richards Team BOC #8:
V8 Supercar Round Starts: 116
Race 17 Position: Started 12th Finished DNF
Race 17 “Very disappointed, there’s nothing Cameron could’ve done in the accident. We had a great race car today and who knows where we could’ve finished, the important thing is that Cam is OK. We’ll be back bigger and better for the Bathurst 1000.”

Cameron McConville Team BOC #8:
V8 Supercar Round Starts: 136
Race B Position: Started 12th Finished DNF
Race 17: “That would be the most amateur move I’ve ever experienced in V8 Supercar. It’s no wonder this guy isn’t in the series fulltime. I had more pace, better position and he chose to crowd me at 290 kph into turn one. That kind of driving has no place in this series.”

Driver Health: All OK

Race 17:
(1) Garth Tander/Will Davison
(2) Craig Lowndes/Jamie Whincup
(3) Mark Winterbottom/Steven Richards
(4) Todd Kelly/Rick Kelly
(5) Steve Johnson/James Courtney
(6) Warren Luff/ Jonathan Webb
(7) Russell Ingall/Tim Slade
(8) Paul Dumbrell/Craig Baird
(9) Dean Canto/Luke Youlden
(10) Shane Van Gisbergen/Alex Davison.
(DNF) Cameron McConville/Jason Richards Team BOC
(DNF) Andrew Jones/Brad Jones WOW Racing

Race 17 Conditions:
Temperature: Ambient/Track 23°/ 26°
Weather: Overcast/ Showers and some sunshine.
Interesting fighting words...
Old 14 Sep 2009, 04:03 (Ref:2540169)   #161
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does their press release say JDR finished in 4th? they were 5th weren't they (Going by what i remember, and what V8SC.com is telling me)
Old 14 Sep 2009, 04:11 (Ref:2540170)   #162
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
And Autobarn Racing's view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobarn Racing
Walkinshaw Racing close out Phillip Island 500 12th and 16th
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Walkinshaw Racing’s Team Autobarn and Bundaberg Red Racing finished solidly in the first endurance event today with Shane Price and Steve Owen finishing just outside the top ten in 12th and David Reynolds and Andy Priaulx finishing a commendable 16th.

The day started out well for Bundy Red’s David Reynolds who started off the race in the #24 Commodore. Launching off the start line Reynolds picked up six positions on lap 1 to sit in 14th.

Driving exceptionally well, Reynolds never faulted. He made the team’s first stop on lap 21 and handed the car over to world touring car champion Andy Priaulx.

Priaulx gained solid miles in the car, completing more than 60 laps over his stint. He drove consistently and was able to pass the car back to Reynolds in a strong position. Reynolds jumped back in on lap 86 and the pair crossed the finish line in 16th place.

Team Autobarn’s Shane Price and Steve Owen were lucky not to be left watching from the sidelines early on in the race with Cameron McConville coming together with the #10 Commodore.

Owen, who was at the wheel, didn’t sustain any damage to the car and was able to push on. He came in on lap 21, queuing behind car #24, and gave the car to Price.

Price suffered from an excursion early in his stint but managed to fight back any lost position. Owen drove out another stint in the middle of the race while Price hopped back in and finished out the 500kms.

The pair finished a creditable 12th place, just outside the top ten. The result gives the team momentum heading into Bathurst next month.

The next event is the Bathurst 1000 which will be held from October 8-12.

Steve Owen - #10 Team Autobarn Commodore (Race 17: 12th)

“I think we probably had better pace than what the car showed, it was just a shame we got to the main race in 18th when we both qualified 11th and 13th. I think if we started there we probably could have ended up in the top ten but they are the mistakes you make when you are only a part time driver. Hopefully we can get our qualifying sorted out for Bathurst, It probably wasn’t until the second stint that I actually started to find my feet again in the car given it’s been a year,:

Shane Price - #10 Team Autobarn Commodore (Race 17: 12th)

“It was a good race really, we started down the order a bit and had a couple of mishaps. Unfortunately we were queued up in the pit stop, which is completely normal, but we managed to finish in a good position and we had good pace. Going into Bathurst I think we are looking pretty respectable.”
Part timer's mistakes? Isnt that what Mr McConville suggested?
Old 14 Sep 2009, 05:43 (Ref:2540184)   #163
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOC's Press Release
"Team BOC’s dream of a L&H 500 victory at Phillip Island ended dramatically today"
would have thought it ended dramatically when the dreamer woke up Sunday morning... they were no chance and never were. If there is room to run with a metre to spare on the right why did you hit Owen, Mr McConville????
Old 14 Sep 2009, 06:33 (Ref:2540189)   #164
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Axeman444. The gap between the BOC car and the white line was increasing as they got closer to the corner. McConville made the mistake.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2540281)   #165
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not that fussed over who was at fault, others will argue that until the cows come home. What happened to McConville's car after the hit greatly concerns me.

This was so close to tragic it's not funny, next time someone may not be as lucky.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2540295)   #166
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seeing the photo in the Telecrap today of McConky going across in front of Bezzy was scary.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2540301)   #167
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McConville on the 10 news tonight reported as saying he is off contract at the end of this year and is considering his future in light of this accident.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2540323)   #168
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmmm, not doubting Cam but could this be a cover for BJR/Holden might not want him and maybe no-one else does either?????
Old 15 Sep 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2540873)   #169
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
I'm not that fussed over who was at fault, others will argue that until the cows come home. What happened to McConville's car after the hit greatly concerns me.

This was so close to tragic it's not funny, next time someone may not be as lucky.
i agree it could have been very bad, but on the topic of fault i don't like it when someone has the ear of a lot of media, and is invited to comment in a publication like MNews, and spouts the dribble he has that is plainly and simply wrong when you review the replays, when Steve Owen has no recourse of the same magnitude...

so what if there was some blocking earlier in the race/lap, it is no excuse for what happened. wait for the blue flag if it is that repetitive and let the officials do their job, its not NASCAR!!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 01:19 (Ref:2540890)   #170
toby
Rookie

toby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
i agree it could have been very bad, but on the topic of fault i don't like it when someone has the ear of a lot of media, and is invited to comment in a publication like MNews, and spouts the dribble he has that is plainly and simply wrong when you review the replays, when Steve Owen has no recourse of the same magnitude...

so what if there was some blocking earlier in the race/lap, it is no excuse for what happened. wait for the blue flag if it is that repetitive and let the officials do their job, its not NASCAR!!
They don't use blue flags anymore, only if you are being lapped.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 01:21 (Ref:2540891)   #171
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ok, straying from Cam vs Steve, Fitzy from Dunlop is saying that the new mould where the control tyres are being made in is not the cause of all the tyre dramas from the event.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/conten..._new_cake_tin/
Old 15 Sep 2009, 01:44 (Ref:2540899)   #172
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
in that case wait for the bad sportsmanship flag then, and if Owen continues he gets a drive through (especially as it was only early in the race as McConville has strongly mentioned, plenty of time to have it shown and McConville can get on with his race), better than the possibility of hitting Bezzy as he crossed the circuit and up to 3 cars being destroyed, not to mention the possibility of significant injury or worse...

what was he trying to do? turn him ala Murph on Bargs?
Old 15 Sep 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2541115)   #173
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FPR are doing 2 ride days at PI this week...

Should get a bit more testing up their sleeve...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2541130)   #174
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
FPR are doing 2 ride days at PI this week...

Should get a bit more testing up their sleeve...
Going round there a few more times might make them fast enough to win.. next year
Old 15 Sep 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2541301)   #175
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
That is what a blue flag is for, to indicate to a driver that they are about to be lapped. It never was used for a position battle, and so wouldn't have been shown for this instance.

But in V8SC, the blue flag is only used as a warning flag, as directed by Tim Schenken in Race Control. It has kind of taken the place of the U/S flag in regards to overtaking.

(A word of warning, never EVER get a flaggie started on the bue flag rules in V8Sc )