Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Aug 2011, 00:46 (Ref:2937018)   #1
mjpiotr
Rookie

Poland
Alexandria, VA
mjpiotr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalling in the USA (Wisconsin area)

I've moved to the US this spring and I think I'd like to do some marshalling here. I live in Madison, WI and I know that there are two tracks nearby: Road America and Blackhawk Farms. I know that some of you are marshalling in US so I have a question whom should I talk to? How it works on this side of the pond? Any help will be very appreciated
Old 8 Aug 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2937310)   #2
ALFA ALFA
Rookie

ALFA ALFA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should contact the Milwaukee Region of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) at www.scca-milwaukee.org Look up the worker specialties contacts under Flagging and Communications. The Milwaukee Region is part of the SCCA Central Division and includes several other active Regions (Blackhawk Valley, Chicago and Land O' Lakes). Tracks used are Road America (check them out at www.roadamerica.com) as well as Blackhawk Farms, the Milwaukee Mile, Autobahn and Brainerd International. Under the contacts pages you will find links to cornerworkers net as well as Mo Overstreets flagging pages - lots of useful info. In the States the posts/stations are not quite as structured as you may be used to. Everybody rotates thru all of the postions - flag, back-up/blue, re-entry, safety, comm dependng on the number of people available. Some groups that are confident with working with one another even allow however is on comm to be designated in turn as chief when reporting or making decisions. Road America is the site of this years annual Runoffs on Sept 19-25 which has racers and workers from all over the country vying for a National Championship title. You will also find that the tracks listed will use SCCA workers on Pro events.

Good Luck, and don't be shy - they can use the help.
Old 10 Aug 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2938171)   #3
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You say just moved to Madison. does that imply you are a Brit who already has a MSA grade? If so the SCCA should give you grandfather rights on your F & C grade if you join them. Milwaukee or Land of Lakes regions are probably your best bet, but you have to join via the national site. I will PM you with some contacts.

I am a member of LoL, and have many friends in both regions who can help you understand the differences between US and European marshalling. Have fun and play safe.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2938484)   #4
mjpiotr
Rookie

Poland
Alexandria, VA
Thanks guys! I'll contact SCC.
I'm a Pole, but I was marshalling in UK for last 4 years while doing my PhD there, and now I moved to Madison. So I have MSA grade (track).
Old 12 Aug 2011, 01:10 (Ref:2938759)   #5
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpiotr View Post
I've moved to the US this spring and I think I'd like to do some marshalling here. I live in Madison, WI and I know that there are two tracks nearby: Road America and Blackhawk Farms. I know that some of you are marshalling in US so I have a question whom should I talk to? How it works on this side of the pond? Any help will be very appreciated
This will be fun. We can hook you up with Mike Piotrowski, who is a Milwaukee region starter.

I regularly go to Blackhawk Farms and Road America. I will PM you with some contact information.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 03:08 (Ref:2939125)   #6
mjpiotr
Rookie

Poland
Alexandria, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger View Post
This will be fun. We can hook you up with Mike Piotrowski, who is a Milwaukee region starter.
Yeah, that would be fun Funny enough, there I've already met much more people with Polish-origin names in the US then I did for almost 5 years of living in UK

Thanks for the info and PM
Old 14 Aug 2011, 02:48 (Ref:2939402)   #7
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, you did land near an area known for a large population of Polish immigrants.