Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2004, 18:17 (Ref:973650)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Coulthard close to signing with Jaguar

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=84231

Quote:
TSN.ca Staff

5/17/2004

David Coulthard is reportedly close to joining the Jaguar outfit for 2005.

The British tabloid "The Mirror" quotes a source close to the team who indicated the Scotsman may be just what Jaguar are looking for at this time.

"We've had a succession of young drivers [at Jaguar]," the source tells the newspaper. "Maybe it's time we invested in experience. David has proved that if he is given a chance to win, he can. He knows what a winning car should feel like."

While such a move would keep Coulthard in Formula One, it would fall well short of his "competitive" criteria. Jaguar have struggled to keep pace with the mid-level teams since their inception.

Aside from Johnny Herbert and Eddie Irvine, Jaguar have tended to go with young, inexperienced drivers since Ford purchased the Stewart Racing team five years ago. Mark Webber has been the team's best driver to date but he has had three different teammates in the last two years.

Antonio Pizzonia came highly rated from BMW-Williams but he was replaced mid-season by Justin Wilson. Christian Klien, who had never travelled outside of his Austrian hometown before signing with Jaguar, won the job this season due to the fact he could bring more sponsorship money to the team.

Webber has been mentioned as a possible candidate for openings at BMW-Williams next year and Renault boss Flavio Briatore holds an option on his services.
Old 17 May 2004, 18:25 (Ref:973657)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Mark Webber has been the team's best driver to date"

Pure opinion there.

Much as I dislike him, Eddie Irvine had Jaguar on the podium twice.

And as for "Christian Klien, who had never travelled outside his Austrian hometown before signing with Jaguar"

How the hell did he manage to race in FRenault, FBMW and F3 without leaving his hometown?

The whole article lacks credibility.

I still think DC will be at Williams.
Old 17 May 2004, 18:33 (Ref:973661)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Webber is the best team driver there. What I wonder is if Jaguar will be able to have 2 cars in the same level to give DC a chance to race.
Old 17 May 2004, 18:35 (Ref:973667)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there was a story yesterday sayin DC is going to Toyota...
Old 17 May 2004, 18:43 (Ref:973675)   #5
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon it's more likely DC will indeed be heading to Jaguar in 2005.
Old 17 May 2004, 18:50 (Ref:973687)   #6
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could it happen: Candidate for 3 teams and end up with nothing?
Old 17 May 2004, 18:52 (Ref:973691)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No
Old 17 May 2004, 19:31 (Ref:973715)   #8
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't be a surprise if it were true. Jaguar are the sort of team who could use his top-line experience.
Old 17 May 2004, 19:49 (Ref:973726)   #9
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perfect...mediocre driver for a mediocre team, where he should have been a long time ago.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 17 May 2004, 20:05 (Ref:973741)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't call Coulthard a mediocre driver, he's good but just not good enough for a top team, although at present that 'top team' is ahem... not as top as they should be to put it that way.

Oh, hey!
How about Jacques and David at Williams?

David can do the talking and looking good(?!) in front of the sponsors while Jacques can take care of the driving and getting top results on the track!
Oh, i'm so smart that i sometimes even amaze myself with my stupendously genius ideas!
Old 17 May 2004, 20:07 (Ref:973743)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I reckon David would rather move to Toyota than Jaguar. Anyone with a brain can see they have more potential. I can't see Jaguar making a frontline car for years!

Whether Toyota wants him is another thing of course....but I'm sure he appeals to them.
Old 17 May 2004, 20:26 (Ref:973758)   #12
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daily Mirror. It must be accurate.

They showed pictures of a brit commiting torture last week. Turns out it was a pic of DC attempting one lap qualifying in an MP4/19
Old 17 May 2004, 20:34 (Ref:973766)   #13
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron motivating the troops.
Old 17 May 2004, 21:43 (Ref:973856)   #14
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I said this a while ago.Jag would prefer an English driver.DC being Scottish is the closest they are going to come other than Wilson coming back from the US but that is unlikly as there was rumours all was not well with the parting of the ways so to speak.

The Grumpy1
P.S. isn't this the same paper who only print the truth and then sacked the editor for fabricating stories?

Last edited by grumpy1; 17 May 2004 at 21:45.
Old 17 May 2004, 22:07 (Ref:973878)   #15
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They'll keep Klien. He has good money and doesnt embarass himself.

DC>>Jag
Webber>>Renault
Trulli>>Williams

Trulli this is the silliest of seasons
Old 17 May 2004, 22:43 (Ref:973921)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The line about Klien never having left his home town was comedy genius, though.

Shame the Mirror didn't realise it, but then, they've been fooled before...
Old 17 May 2004, 22:46 (Ref:973923)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Coulthard is off to Jaguar.

is this the sunset of his career? or is it a move to a team which may do verywell with his addition?
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/
crazy huh
or is he going to Toyota with Ralf?
Old 18 May 2004, 00:25 (Ref:973957)   #18
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Whatever the case, I'd personally prefer that DC remains in F1 for a little longer. He tends to be much misaligned by some F1 fans but as a consistent and professional veteran he has more to contribute yet ... and in my opinion is much preferred over some of the wannabe pay drivers this day in F1.
Old 18 May 2004, 00:29 (Ref:973958)   #19
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
don't know if it'll pan out this way, but i think that coulthard and webber with jaguar in 2005 would make for a very strong team....
Old 18 May 2004, 09:09 (Ref:974137)   #20
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Webber does move on to greener pastures I'd like to see DC move to Jag as I feel they need someone with a proven track record & skill who knows what it's like to drive a good car to keep Jaguars momentum of improvement going. They can use the pther seat for a young up & comer but I feel they should have at least one person who knows what he is doing. That said tho I don't know if Jaguar would have the type of money DC would expect.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:42 (Ref:974324)   #21
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Redlake27
Daily Mirror. It must be accurate.

They showed pictures of a brit commiting torture last week. Turns out it was a pic of DC attempting one lap qualifying in an MP4/19
Brilliant! I wouldn't give too much credence to anythign the Daily Mirror writes - amusingly they have a 'for the record' column where people write in to correct their mistakes, and that's always full.

All the same, I think DC will go to Jaguar, and it'd be great for both parties. The #2 should be Klien I guess.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:54 (Ref:974338)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If DC is going to replace Webber, I hope the young man is going to Williams, and then he can have a shot in the WDC.
Old 18 May 2004, 13:04 (Ref:974345)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The man in charge of the silly season is Flavio Briatore. What will he do with his three drivers?

Whatever the case he has three high quality drivers at his disposal and only 2 seats at Renault for them.

One of two things will happen - status quo at Renault and Webber to Williams. OR Webber to Renault and Trulli to Williams.

Once this is sorted, the rest will fall into place.

Regardless, Coulthard is out at McLaren and I think Jag is DCs most likely option for 2005. I don't see Toyota wanting both he and Ralf - rather a young flyer and one or the other (probably Ralf).
Old 18 May 2004, 17:36 (Ref:974608)   #24
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeez what's all this talk about Trulli all of a sudden being the guy Williams want? The guy has a few decent races after years of underachievement in good cars and now he's the next big thing? Pleassssse

I have little doubt Webber will be moving to Willy and Coultard to Jag but the other seat is between Dixon and Villeneuve I'm betting.

Last edited by TeddyG; 18 May 2004 at 17:37.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 18 May 2004, 18:04 (Ref:974637)   #25
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
If DC is going to replace Webber, I hope the young man is going to Williams, and then he can have a shot in the WDC.
Young man?

Both of them belong to the older half of the grid!