Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Jun 2003, 10:09 (Ref:629227)   #1
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Rockingham - Specifically Camping

I'm off up to Rockingham in a couple of weeks time. I have heard some dodgy stories about the state of camping up there. Not having been up there before, can anybody tell me what I can expect, where I should camp etc? :confused:

Ta in anticipation......

BC
Old 12 Jun 2003, 11:00 (Ref:629284)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've only been a couple of times but never to camp.
I have seen marshals kipping in their cars and have seen tents in the Outer paddock pinned down with bricks, as the surface is part tarmac and part rough!
If you like your comforts, there is a Travel Lodge at Market Harborough (15 mins away) that may have special offers on!
You can always call the circuit and ask for Chris Hobson (?) who may be able to help.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 11:21 (Ref:629307)   #3
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham has a campsite with shower and toilets.. grounds a bit rough (you do need to pick your spot, the lower plateau seems better ground) it's behind turn 1 grandstand... I shall be camping for the btcc meet there.. There were a couple of us there camped for the MGCC meeting.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 11:38 (Ref:629318)   #4
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Mark didn't mention is that if you get a dozen tents up it'll be a squeeze. I imagine the public campsite behind turn 2 & 3 will be open, access from outside the circuit, but you will be better checking with the circuit that those facilities are available.
If you are in a caravan etc.... its easy to park in the outer paddock and there are lots of facilities, showers toilets etc.
An alternative is B&B several of which are on Rockinghams website.
http://www.rockingham.co.uk/venue_local_list.cfm
Old 12 Jun 2003, 11:39 (Ref:629319)   #5
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Ah, so you're the other marshal signed up for that meeting
Old 12 Jun 2003, 11:51 (Ref:629328)   #6
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, it looks like we are going to be spread a wee bit thinly.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 12:04 (Ref:629337)   #7
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes the campsite is a bit small... but there is a campsite,

Marshalling numbers do look a bit thin.. BTCC called off due to not enough marshals now that would hit the headlines. Looks a busy timetable too
Old 12 Jun 2003, 14:42 (Ref:629508)   #8
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been going to Rockingham since it first opened and the situation has got slightly better since the very first meeting.

The story I've been told is that, because it is built on an old industrial site the ground is contaminated with all sorts of nasty stuff so they have put a membrane down to stop it rising to the surface. Therefore, they don't want tent pegs piercing it and the toxic bits coming through and poisoning everyone (very generous i thought).

At first there was no drinking water on site as that the water supply was contaminated (I was told with arsenic but that was probably a bit of an exageration). Whatever it was, the water was milky and not drinkable.

Camping used to be in the outer paddock (and if you talk nicely to security they will still let you put a caravan or trailor tent there)but tents are still a problem. There is a small campsite behind Turn 1. The easiest way to get there is through the Outer Paddock and behind the grandstands in Turn 1, follow the road down and then turn right towardsthe entrance/exit. There is a small toilet and shower block on the left and the campsite is opposite.

As for the small number of us there, I guess that says something about the current BTCC.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 15:05 (Ref:629526)   #9
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
anything else wrong with it!!! i thought marshalling was dangerous lol
Old 12 Jun 2003, 15:53 (Ref:629546)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
so they have put a membrane down to stop it rising to the surface. Therefore, they don't want tent pegs piercing it
If their membrane is within a tent's peg of the surface you should be scared.

But then since they could not stop water seeping up through the track, perhaps that is a sensible reaction.

Sounds like an urban myth in the making.

Jim
Old 12 Jun 2003, 22:10 (Ref:630043)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi, Ethnic. I've been to Rockigham with the Caravan and it was fine, if small (you won't be able to sleep sideways in your sleeping bag there...!). It's got a nice little shower/toilet block, electrical hook-up if you need it and water supplies to hand. There were tents there as well, but not all of the ground is suitable for banging tent pegs through, so I suggest arriving early to claim your spot. I got the impression that there were moves to improve it, and I know this question has popped up before, so how about updating us when you get back? perhaps put some notes on the Marshals' Post site, too.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 07:53 (Ref:630287)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chigley
I imagine the public campsite behind turn 2 & 3 will be open, access from outside the circuit, but you will be better checking with the circuit that those facilities are available.
Already have done and it's not. It was a farmer's field rather than a circuit provided facility and it's no longer open. Nearest alternative is 10-15 miles away.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 09:37 (Ref:630346)   #13
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Hi, Ethnic. I've been to Rockigham with the Caravan and it was fine, if small (you won't be able to sleep sideways in your sleeping bag there...!). It's got a nice little shower/toilet block, electrical hook-up if you need it and water supplies to hand. There were tents there as well, but not all of the ground is suitable for banging tent pegs through, so I suggest arriving early to claim your spot. I got the impression that there were moves to improve it, and I know this question has popped up before, so how about updating us when you get back? perhaps put some notes on the Marshals' Post site, too.
I think the good members of 10/10ths can rely upon me to be suitably vocal should things not be up to scratch. (Mrs Cr0w has already got a bed booked at her mum's gaff in Rugby just in case it's anything like Brands )
Old 13 Jun 2003, 09:52 (Ref:630360)   #14
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were the other marshals camped with Mark. The first night the water froze in the pipes overground so the nice shower and toilet block had no water. Didnt freeze the second night and I dont envisage any problems for two weeks time. We will be there again. There is a jokey sign that says Rockingham Riviera at the site should you drive by and think that cant be it, it is. But it does make for close community. I'm down on the list but Andy isnt though he did volunteer so there will probably be more of us than it looks like. Tis a bit of one extreme to the other though. 280+ marshals at Silverstone to 80 (if we are lucky) at Rockingham.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 22:19 (Ref:637071)   #15
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have double checked on this and ther will definitely be mrshals camping behind Turn 2. see you there
Old 22 Jun 2003, 22:26 (Ref:639581)   #16
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Just got back - It's still as Wolley describes it.

I'm going to put my thinking cap on to try and describe how you get down to the (what's the word I'm looking for? - "site" suggests something altogether too big and organised) camp-thing/patch/dump.

Hint - If you have a bad back or a sports car, go B&B at Rockingham - If you don't put your back/suspensionout getting down there, you will when you pitch or pack your tent