1 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Oct 2019, 01:50 (Ref:3931215)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Minus 72,000 for a level of dullard we haven’t seen commentary since 2008.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 04:08 (Ref:3931223)   #27
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Agree with you here too Casper, but turning the sport into a game of dice doesn't work on any level.
Without F1 going back to basics and removing the suffocating engineering structure and support at the track and base facilities during a race weekend we are doomed to monotony and let the complaining continue. When the result is pre-ordained within three teams something has to be done to remove that situation. VSC is not a gimmick to me and allowing pit stops is part of the game but obviously I see it differently to others.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 06:14 (Ref:3931230)   #28
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
leclerc got a free stop as well no? Plus he got on the same compound as ham but fresher by a lap or two. Arguably he benefited more from the SC/VSC.

Really he needed to get around Bottas...thats where his race was lost.
If I remember correctly Leclerc would have been the leader after the stops without the VSC. At least he would have had a chance to fight a Hamilton overcut.

With the VSC he could not. So I do not really see how he could have benefited? Trying to use fresher tires after the full SC was only a bandaid to work around the bad luck with the VSC. Without the VSC this would not have been necessary.

Hamilton makes his luck and I credit him for that. But he sure has a lot of it.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 08:25 (Ref:3931241)   #29
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Without F1 going back to basics and removing the suffocating engineering structure and support at the track and base facilities during a race weekend we are doomed to monotony and let the complaining continue. When the result is pre-ordained within three teams something has to be done to remove that situation.
I think you will struggle to find any era of F1 since 1950 when the winners didn't come from one of three teams (or fewer). If you do, it will be quite a brief period. I do agree that F1 has become too technically refined, but the problem is one of finding a way to un-invent things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
VSC is not a gimmick to me and allowing pit stops is part of the game but obviously I see it differently to others.
I don't think anyone has called the VSC a gimmick. Some way of suspending racing while an incident is cleared up is necessary. The VSC as we have it is vastly better than the Crocodile Car. A few tweaks would make it even fairer and better. Ross Brawn is keen to try out some quite radical differences to GP format in 2020. Why not try out some modified VSC procedures as well?
Old 1 Oct 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3931242)   #30
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The difference is it gives a driver/team the opportunity to dive into the pits, before the rest of the field has been collected.
A VSC doesn't collect the field?

If the gap between drivers is 40secs after 1 lap, it should still be 40secs after 5 laps of VSC - no?
Old 1 Oct 2019, 08:40 (Ref:3931243)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I think you will struggle to find any era of F1 since 1950 when the winners didn't come from one of three teams (or fewer). If you do, it will be quite a brief period. I do agree that F1 has become too technically refined, but the problem is one of finding a way to un-invent things.
Three is better than two (just) that we saw in 2014-16. It was almost one team in 2016.

Although I think the variety that people would like to see was witnessed in 2008:

Ferrari looking strong early on, sandwiched by McLaren wins.
BMW then picking up a win before Ferrari and McLaren trading results again.
Toro-Rosso picking up a win followed by Renault results.
Then a final couple of events that saw Ferrari and McLaren pick up a win each, and the title going down to the wire.

Ultimately, the strongest two teams fought for the two championships, with a handful of wins for three other teams.
These seasons should be recognised for their value though, and we must accept that sometimes a team (or three) just get it right and should dominate.
If we change the sport to 'level the playing field', then aren't we just creating an artificial championship?
Old 1 Oct 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3931285)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
A VSC doesn't collect the field?

If the gap between drivers is 40secs after 1 lap, it should still be 40secs after 5 laps of VSC - no?
My mistake, I was thinking of the regular safety car.