Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 May 2016, 18:56 (Ref:3640176)   #51
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well he is man enough to admit he's wrong unlike some other drivers...

what are the bets that Dan Welch will be guest on TTT ?

it looked like Dan could hold off Goff , maybe for the rest of the race if he hadn't that stupid failure
Old 8 May 2016, 19:29 (Ref:3640179)   #52
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, after a farcical start with the tyre explosions and mess that race 1 became, that was a very entertaining afternoon's racing. From all classes, not just the BTCC. As close as it's been at Thruxton for many years.

Naturally I'm gutted for Dan after the bolt failing in race 3, but I hope it doesn't take away from an excellent weekend for all the team at Goodestone Racing (about time I started giving sponsors a plug on here!) He looked relatively comfortable in 2nd, and whilst I think that Shedden would have taken Goff and him a top 5 could most definitely have been on the cards. The improvement from last year where he didn't even compete and where Andy Wilmot scored only a 20th, 21st and 22nd is massive. Bolt the RML parts on and who knows where he could be, just a shame that the team are so chronically underfunded they couldn't even use brand new tyres on his pole debut.

Oulton up next is a track which really suited the Proton, although I fear the lack of RML parts will, again, provide an unbreakable ceiling for any results.

Delighted for Motorbase and AJ getting that monkey off his back, the car is finally working well again after a disappointing Brands a month or so ago. It'd be great to see them up challenging for the title, and it's nice to see Jordan settled at a team again.

Credit to Matt Neal for apologising to Cook for his comments post race. It's only natural, when the adrenaline is flowing, to say something in the heat of the moment, and it takes a big man to admit his mistake on national television, so well done Matt. Just a shame his father couldn't follow the same approach, but ho-hum.

Further credit must go to Alan Gow and the organisers for cutting the race distance, which delivered an action packed 12 laps, without the lottery of tyres exploding. It was frustrating that we got less action, but absolutely the correct decision. I know Shaun at AMD was a bit cross as the the tyres were mainly affected on the RML cars, and I understand that, but safety for all the drivers is paramount.

Nightmare weekend for a few drivers, most notably Shedden. Two accidents which weren't in any way his fault, but incredibly not too much damage done Championship wise. The first I spoke about earlier, and the Goff one was just hugely unfortunate, with Jack touching a wheel on the grass under breaking.

It was also a difficult weekend for Aron Smith and BKR, on a track both car and driver usually do fairly well at.

Impressive weekend, again, for Michael Epps who is really taking everyone by surprise. It's not that I didn't rate him, I just genuinely knew very little about him. A trio of points finishes, on his touring car debut at the most difficult circuit on the calendar, for a small(ish) team is a fantastic achievement.

Eurotech were impressive again, and Daniel Lloyd enjoyed an impressive JST trophy winning debut. I remember Jeff saying they wanted someone to push them, and Daniel looks to be that man, a very quick driver which we already knew, but in a cracking car.

Roll on Oulton Park, and the (hopefully now) competitive Subarus...not that the field needs any more competitive cars!!
Old 9 May 2016, 06:52 (Ref:3640260)   #53
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic racing through all 3 rounds.

My favourite part was the 5 or 6 cars virtually touching challenging for the lead while doing over 100mph, that is what you call close racing!
Old 9 May 2016, 10:34 (Ref:3640291)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm glad everything calmed down after the first Touring car race and the second F4 race, as there was some great racing throughout

Adam Morgan is definitely a title contender and what a story that would be if he wins, coming a long way from the wild man in 2012.

Aiden Moffat was doing well till his puncture, but I wasn't that surprised by the way he was driving over the kerbs, although it was more a lottery in that race. And what has Tingram got to do to get a full weekend together. I feel there should be some discretions on jump starts, like with handballs in football, as he lost a place at the start. And what a shame for Welch that he had that failure, as it would have been interesting to see if he could have kept them all behind him

Matt Neal did the right thing apologising, it's easy to say the wrong thing when emotions are running high after a crash and someone sticks a microphone under your hooter, so it's understandable. Also good job we had that NASCAR style pile up at a slow part of the circuit

Eurotech have certainly been boosted by having young Lloyd in the team, shame Smith had to make that silly mistake in race 2 as he is definitely driving as well as he did before his comeback as he said

Great day for Motorbase, easy to forget Jordan hasn't won for 2 years. Such a shame we didn't see the build up to his move as we watching the pitwall, really this gets frustrating

Bad luck for the Scoobys, but TBH such is the racing you usually don't notice who's not there.
Old 9 May 2016, 10:40 (Ref:3640293)   #55
porsche962fan
Veteran

on Neal incident , Ingram passed with no problem and the MG should have been a bit more to the right , Neal didn't seem to do any sudden moves towards the right

[/url]

and incredible how little was missing for Shedden to escape the pile up

[/url]
Old 9 May 2016, 10:53 (Ref:3640295)   #56
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We need to see the face on pics, that will show if the gap was closed between Neil's car and the Pit wall. Neil may not of moved, but he could have been closing the gap if the curve of the wall was coming out.....

Side on view doesn't help to much.
Old 9 May 2016, 11:00 (Ref:3640297)   #57
porsche962fan
Veteran

you can use the asphalt marks as reference if he moved or not to the right, IMO Neal was waiting to Cook to pass then enter the pitlane

also Honda should consider putting armored plate on the rear right wheel "Max Max" style
Old 9 May 2016, 11:53 (Ref:3640312)   #58
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'm glad Matt Neal is embarrassed by his own actions and comments. He should be.

Moving on - what fantastic racing again. So far, this has been an absolutely excellent season. Reducing the race length was the only sensible option.

I'm sure a small group of title contenders will eventually emerge from the pack, but at the moment there are loads of drivers in contention.
Old 9 May 2016, 12:29 (Ref:3640320)   #59
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Jackson on TCT
I think for us Oulton will be strong, the chassis is in the window and we’ll have to see what happens with the boost, if it gets changed around we’ll see who gets what
Do they still change boost from event to event, I thought they dropped that before 2015? I couldn't see any issues with straight line speed at Thruxton, even the BMWs seemed to be doing a lot better than last season...
Old 9 May 2016, 16:55 (Ref:3640392)   #60
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
i thibk matt neal watch the video of the mayhem he caused and changed his mind
Maybe one day someone bigger than him will join the series and administer the punch in the mouth he so clearly deserves Why don't TOCA sort him out? How many times has he yelled in through drivers doors ? How does he know they are not injured when he starts his bully boy carryon? I thought he was a Marshall arts expert? What happened to self control? A disgrace
Old 9 May 2016, 18:17 (Ref:3640410)   #61
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From an experienced professional like Neal you'd expect more self control indeed. Character doesn't change much over time though, as Tarquini shows in WTCC on a regular basis

The races were great fun again though, proper racing, not too much unneccessary contact and a good variety up front.
Old 9 May 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3640451)   #62
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what you call close racing, 6 cars all going for the lead on lap 5 at 120mph

Old 10 May 2016, 14:45 (Ref:3640633)   #63
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not as good as in 2007 when they went 9 abreast into the chicane and got through the other side fine
Old 10 May 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3640701)   #64
porsche962fan
Veteran

did Barty make fun of Plato on TTT ?
Old 11 May 2016, 07:07 (Ref:3640795)   #65
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
did Barty make fun of Plato on TTT ?
I've not heard this, what was said?
Old 11 May 2016, 11:16 (Ref:3640844)   #66
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I've not heard this, what was said?
when Colin Turkington was interviewed Dave Bartrum asked something like How does it feel to be constantly faster than Plato , near the end of the show Bartie again made this reference of Colin being faster than Plato
Old 11 May 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3640899)   #67
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
You can always rely on The Bartman...
Old 12 May 2016, 08:10 (Ref:3641068)   #68
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I'm sure a small group of title contenders will eventually emerge from the pack, but at the moment there are loads of drivers in contention.
I think the Subarus gaining pace in the latter part of the season will keep the pack fairly large for longer.

As the Subarus will likely enter each event with zero ballast, they will be taking a lot of pole/lead points along with race wins, meaning it is harder for someone in the pack to have a weekend that moves them clear of others.
Old 16 May 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3642122)   #69
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Question....They've been running Dunlops in the BTCC for god knows how long at this point, why do they seem to have tire failures year after year?

Build a rock hard tire that will last a million laps and you'd eliminate all the tire problems. Sure the cars would be a little slower due to lack of grip, but it's a little silly to see all these tire failures year after year when it's a spec tire.
Old 16 May 2016, 17:11 (Ref:3642176)   #70
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Question....They've been running Dunlops in the BTCC for god knows how long at this point, why do they seem to have tire failures year after year?
Most years it's down to teams and drivers trying to gain an advantage by pushing the boundaries. Dunlop give teams recommended tyre pressures and camber settings, plus tell drives to stay off the curbs for the first few years and inevitably some chose to ignore those recommendations.

This years was a bit of a perfect storm. The new RML front suspension is apparently harder on the tyres, plus race-day was the hottest we have seen for many years, which effects tyre wear.

Dunlop could make rock solid tyres which last forever but the danger is they produce no grip, which potentially could be just as dangerous. The less grip you have the more teams will further push the limits of tyres pressure / camber / curb usage, so we end up back at square one.
Old 16 May 2016, 18:12 (Ref:3642196)   #71
S griffin
Veteran

And also they only test in Thruxton in the cold
Old 16 May 2016, 20:38 (Ref:3642255)   #72
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Most years it's down to teams and drivers trying to gain an advantage by pushing the boundaries. Dunlop give teams recommended tyre pressures and camber settings, plus tell drives to stay off the curbs for the first few years and inevitably some chose to ignore those recommendations.

This years was a bit of a perfect storm. The new RML front suspension is apparently harder on the tyres, plus race-day was the hottest we have seen for many years, which effects tyre wear.

Dunlop could make rock solid tyres which last forever but the danger is they produce no grip, which potentially could be just as dangerous. The less grip you have the more teams will further push the limits of tyres pressure / camber / curb usage, so we end up back at square one.
Gows comments are bang-on; http://www.autosport.com/news/report...on-tyre-dramas
Old 16 May 2016, 21:46 (Ref:3642264)   #73
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Entertaining races.
Old 16 May 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3642269)   #74
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Does the fact that the cars are 300kg heavier than cars of yesteryear have any bearing on the tyre loads and failures?
Old 16 May 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3642271)   #75
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
More mechanical grip is good.