Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Jun 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3832352)   #1
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WTCR Round of Portugal

Its the next round of the WTCR championship and it is time for these guys to hit the street, Why on earth did these guys decide to major league clash with F1 when it could have race at 2.00pm then 5.00pm unless there is a vaild reason why
Old 22 Jun 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3832457)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
Its the next round of the WTCR championship and it is time for these guys to hit the street, Why on earth did these guys decide to major league clash with F1 when it could have race at 2.00pm then 5.00pm unless there is a vaild reason why
Guess the season is overcrowded? scheduled for live coverage in UK this weekend;F1;F2;GP3(Sky)BTCC +supports(ITV4)WTCR;Indycar;NASCARcupPremier)EuroF3
Old 23 Jun 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3832617)   #3
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see Hyundais back in the mix. Hope that will stop moaning about unfair BoP to Hyundai
Old 23 Jun 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3832676)   #4
skells22
Veteran

I noted it now in red flag mode again, this time a pile up in race 1 on lap 1
Old 23 Jun 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3832677)   #5
Londoner
Racer

Londoner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been watching touring cars for years, I don't think I've seen a move quite as moronic as what Bennani's just done. Why on earth would you race your team mate that hard on the first lap, on a track this narrow? The resulting pile up reminds me of that GT race at Macau last year.

Just saw an interview with James Thompson, he sounds incredibly shaken. :/
Old 23 Jun 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3832680)   #6
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are all drivers confirmed to be ok?
Old 23 Jun 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3832683)   #7
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oleeee compliment once again to ribeiro!! in Portugal there are estoril Algarve portimao and ofc he choose this S**t!!!
Old 23 Jun 2018, 16:11 (Ref:3832685)   #8
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Are all drivers confirmed to be ok?
Bennani has gone to hospital with rib injuries and badly dazed.

Huff looked in shock but no official word about him

Other than that it seems everyone else is ok.

Huff and Bennanis cars are absolutely finished, not entirely sure what they were playing at tbh. I know they both want to win but some times discretion is the better part of valour.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 16:27 (Ref:3832689)   #9
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Bennani has gone to hospital with rib injuries and badly dazed.

Huff looked in shock but no official word about him
Huge hit on the left side for Bennani, hope all is well there.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3832690)   #10
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
I've been watching touring cars for years, I don't think I've seen a move quite as moronic as what Bennani's just done. Why on earth would you race your teammate that hard on the first lap, on a track this narrow?
It takes two to tango.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3832703)   #11
PawUloN
Rookie

Poland
Poland
PawUloN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone catch why Michelisz is not restarting? His car seemed drivable are repairable.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3832705)   #12
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawUloN View Post
Did anyone catch why Michelisz is not restarting? His car seemed drivable are repairable.
He has bent roll cage from when Huff car hit him.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3832708)   #13
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0994 View Post
He has bent roll cage from when Huff car hit him.
Touring Car Times are reporting he's also gone to the medical centre with an arm injury. An injured driver and a damaged roll cage suggests they're out for the weekend
Old 23 Jun 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3832719)   #14
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman-1987 View Post
oleeee compliment once again to ribeiro!! in Portugal there are estoril Algarve portimao and ofc he choose this S**t!!!
Agree. Street circuits like this and Monaco etc. may be pretty and unique, but any circuit that cannot produce racing, or, more importantly, causes huge crashes like this, should not be on the calendar.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3832732)   #15
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Agree. Street circuits like this and Monaco etc. may be pretty and unique, but any circuit that cannot produce racing, or, more importantly, causes huge crashes like this, should not be on the calendar.
Agree. They should only have Macau as final.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3832753)   #16
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's amazing to see how fortunes change - Sebastien Loeb Racing were about to get a 1-2, instead they have a big cheque to pay for 2 new cars. Muller, who screwed the start saved the car and won the race. Don't remember I've seen anything like that in motorsport.

Such a big shame for the crash.

WTCR really needs to re-think the calendar. So far they visited 5 venues, NONE of which really offer overtaking opportunities even for TCR cars.
4 street circuits of 10 is way too much
2 venues in a 10 round calendar is also way too much
Old 24 Jun 2018, 01:27 (Ref:3832767)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Practically any circuit can be the scene of a large crash; NASCAR has had "big ones" at every track except Martinsville, and that includes Watkins Glen and Sonoma.

If these cars can't pass at Hungaroring or Zandvoort, or at least not to the level of your satisfaction, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm at least curious to see what the Wuhan street circuit looks like, but I'm not expecting much. I'd also like to see how a race goes at Ningbo, not just the cars parading around under yellow in the rain. In the end though, I'm probably not too interested in either one after getting a proper taste just to see. I don't much care for this second iteration of the Marrakech circuit.

I'm good with the Nordschleife and reasonable with Zandvoort. If they use the full course at Suzuka, I wouldn't mind seeing how that goes. A significant issue is the power cut in the cars, going from TC1 to TCR, which means they just can't pull the big straights at most all the big-name tracks. This also means, when they slipstream and then pull out to pass, they hit a brick wall, because they've run out of steam.

So yeah, the Nordschleife, Vila Real, and Macau are easily the three venues I most look forward to on the calendar. Tight confines are fine, so long as you show respect and some measure of discretion. If you don't, not even the wide-open spaces of a Cleveland or Riverside will be enough to save you from yourself.

If I were offering potential alternative venues:
Dijon, France
Sachsenring, Germany
Zolder, Belgium
Brands Hatch, Great Britain
Inje, South Korea
Sugo, Japan
Rosario or El Zonda, Argentina

Estoril has been remade for MotoGP since its F1 days. Several corners have been tightened to where you're unlikely to get two-wide, and like Algarve, the long main straight, which should be a boon, will leave the TCR machines breathless, unable to pull out and actually pass at the end at terminal velocity. Furthermore, a lot of those big-name tracks just aren't "filled up" by a series like this. The track just feels "too big" for the cars, or the cars seem "too small" for the track.

Back when they were alternating between Porto and Portimao, I took a look, but didn't get much sense of anything special from the WTCC at Algarve; the cars just seemed out of place, out of their element. For this series, Vila Real is simply far more enticing. And I could say the same in that I'd much rather see them at Macau than Shanghai, Tianma, Goldenport, Chengdu, Guangdong, or Ordos.

All that said, I'm fine keeping the WTCR to just Vila Real and Macau in terms of the temporary circuits. Pau can remain as F3's equivalent in Europe.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3832786)   #18
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That crash could've been quite a bit nastier. There were multiple drivers blocked in by others while Bjorks car was on fire, do these guys have the roof hatches like GT3's do? If not that might be something to think about. Also Erlachers car was punctured by the guardrail, had that been a meter earlier Yann would be Kubica-ed. The fact they all walked away is a compliment to the safety of the cars though.

With regards to the track; you need a bit of all. But most of all you need audience and exposure, and Vila Real definitely brought that this weekend
Old 24 Jun 2018, 07:40 (Ref:3832788)   #19
Tarzaan
Racer

Hungary
Tarzaan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any penalty for Huff (or Bennani) for this crash?

Because that a*hole stewards can punish Norbi for everything, but it seems some guys are untouchable...
Old 24 Jun 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3832807)   #20
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzaan View Post

Because that a*hole stewards can punish Norbi for everything, but it seems some guys are untouchable...
Nothing yet. Agree with penalty in Michelisz-Muller crash in Zabdvoort that was no penalty material, but hitting Huff in rear door is so fair from Michelisz side...
Old 24 Jun 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3832811)   #21
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Bjork on pole in front of Michelisz and Tarquini.
0.3 and 0.5 faster then them in the same car...
Old 24 Jun 2018, 11:27 (Ref:3832825)   #22
keviiinn
Rookie

United States
New York, USA
keviiinn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got a chance to watch race 1. Why was Vernay starting in P4 in the restarted race?
Old 24 Jun 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3832841)   #23
skells22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzaan View Post

or maybe waiting to interveiw them (did people forgot someone went in one of those things that is always on stand by at any race track)
Old 24 Jun 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3832852)   #24
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
It takes two to tango.
but only one to ram a team-mate and cause carnage...
Old 25 Jun 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3832986)   #25
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio View Post

WTCR really needs to re-think the calendar. So far they visited 5 venues, NONE of which really offer overtaking opportunities even for TCR cars.
4 street circuits of 10 is way too much
2 venues in a 10 round calendar is also way too much
I agree, a championship with a great potential ruined by a no sense calendar. I have only appreciate the race in Hungary and at the Nordschleife so far.