Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1627490)   #1
XW GT
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
XW GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Low budget = Low performance?

In a category that is strictly controlled by the components that are permitted (ie engines and bits, gearbox, wheels, brakes, tyres, weight and aero etc) to obtain parity, and the number of test days available, surely the "lower" V8 Supercar teams should be on a level playing field with the so called better funded teams. If the management of V8 Supercar racing are serious about the future of the category they should look into just what the rich teams spend their money on and implement measures to control it.

I have started this thread after reading the BJR thread where it was said that they are struggling because of low funding. If money is the measure of success of the V8 Supercar formula it is obviously not right, and the category will be in strife sooner rather than later. At the moment we all know that there only five or six of the current teams that are going to feature in the main results at every round. This situation must be very difficult for the majority of the teams (at least 20) that are trying to maintain and/or source new sponsorship. Why should sponsors fund a team that doesn't get very much TV time and/or results, and in reality never will?

I read in Auto Action, Motorsport News and other publications that V8 management are contemplating cost cutting measures for the category. Blind Freddy can see that the category is not a controlled category if Ford and GMH are allowed to spend mega dollars funding the top teams. Motor sport history is dotted with categories that have evolved into the "haves and have nots", these categories are all extinct and our sport is poorer for it, unfortunately the V8 Supercars are heading in that same direction (in my opinion).
Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1627499)   #2
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For starters, XW, I find it surprsing that V8 Supertaxis have stayed almost the same since their inception. Few other classes anywhere have managed to maintain that sort of consistency and I'm not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing.
On the one hand the category is not evolving which means costs should have stabilised years ago.
On the other hand the category is not evolving.
As for parity meaning equality, the one variable you have not factored-in is the driver and you need only look at lap times to see how much difference that makes.
You need only look at tear-ups (equipment damage) to compare skill and track savvy between the greats and the also-rans.
I'm not sure if that fact alone answers all of your questions but I think it might hold the solution to a few.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1627507)   #3
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if you look at this season.. a team with a 'SuperCheap' budget has had an even cheaper looking performance.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1627516)   #4
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
speaking of supercheap, i overheard some guys sitting near me and one of the reckons supercheap isnt paying their bills. Pete, Gtr, anyone heard anything?
Old 5 Jun 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1627535)   #5
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well does anyone know anything about Supercheaps financials at the moment?? surely enough people work for them around the country that there would be some people in the forums with inside knowledge of there position !
Old 5 Jun 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1627546)   #6
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castrol and a few other suppliers are paying most of the budget.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 00:25 (Ref:1628085)   #7
Tazio
Rookie

Tazio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When V8 supercar look at cost cutting and salary caps will they also look at the amount of technical help teams get from thier parent company
ie FPR with Prodrive & 888 with thier euro connections
Old 6 Jun 2006, 04:48 (Ref:1628137)   #8
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hrt Kid
speaking of supercheap, i overheard some guys sitting near me and one of the reckons supercheap isnt paying their bills. Pete, Gtr, anyone heard anything?
Wouldn't be the first time eh, Mr. McConville
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1628354)   #9
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the cars are so close now with all the rules teams now spend the big money trying to find those few extra tenths. 7 post rig testing, Shock dynos, good engineers to interperate the data, in-house CNC machining, 8 spoke rims and so on are not cheap things.

I really think a new compound for the control tyre will throw a nice new mix in for the teams and shuffle the feild a bit as some teams get a handle on the new tyres faster than others. The current dunlop has been around for years and years.