Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Jun 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3827643)   #1951
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Barbosa is out at AXR for the next two races at Watkins Glen and Mosport due to injury. He'll be replaced by Christian Fittipaldi in those two races, with the #5 Cadillac expected to run only two drivers at Watkins Glen.
What kind of injury? Did it happen on track?
Old 8 Jun 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3827651)   #1952
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
What kind of injury? Did it happen on track?
Sounded like a group ride bicycle accident, someone may have stopped abruptly or unexpectedly and gravity took over.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3827725)   #1953
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Bit disappointed by their choice of replacement. Fittipaldi didn't strike me as extremely fast over the last few seasons. Would have been nice to see them draft in some Indycar talent.
There is a conflict with Mosport.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3833445)   #1954
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Di Resta thinks IMSA is hurting itself because of the state of BoP between DPi and LMP 2
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/137055
Old 2 Jul 2018, 20:32 (Ref:3834356)   #1955
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
ESM will only enter the #22 for Mosport after blowing three engines during the weekend at Watkins Glen, including two in the race.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 02:25 (Ref:3834387)   #1956
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Di Resta thinks IMSA is hurting itself because of the state of BoP between DPi and LMP 2
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/137055
He (and United) didn't really do himself any favor this weekend now did he?
Old 3 Jul 2018, 11:51 (Ref:3834428)   #1957
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some cars and drivers will be at Yonge-Dundas Square in downtown Toronto on Wednesday July 4, from 5 to 8pm, to promote the CTMP/Mosport race weekend.
http://canadiantiremotorsportpark.co...wntown-toronto
http://norrismcdonald.ca/ctmp-ctmp-r...ext-wednesday/
Old 3 Jul 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3834443)   #1958
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I read in the comments on SC365 that ESM only gets engines as they need them, and that they don't have a stock pile of them? Anything out there to confirm or deny that?

Also, what do they actually get from the Nissan deal aside from engines and maybe some sponsorship kickback?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 01:06 (Ref:3834509)   #1959
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I read in the comments on SC365 that ESM only gets engines as they need them, and that they don't have a stock pile of them? Anything out there to confirm or deny that?

Also, what do they actually get from the Nissan deal aside from engines and maybe some sponsorship kickback?
Entry into the DPI class?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3834535)   #1960
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Entry into the DPI class?
With the number of issues they have, wouldn't it be easier and probably just as good performance wise, to run a Ligier LMP2?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3834558)   #1961
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
With the number of issues they have, wouldn't it be easier and probably just as good performance wise, to run a Ligier LMP2?
They could focus all their efforts on LMP3, as an alternative ... but it seems they think that having people like Ryan Dalziel and Pipo Derani on the payroll, they can compete for overall wins ... at say, Daytona or Sebring ....

I'd guess that if they can get it right, they'd rather be "right" on the top step of the podium than be fourth and the fastest P2 ... and if they cannot get it right, it doesn't matter if they are in a DPi or a P2.

They want to compete for top honors in the top class. The competition is tougher. Engineering matters more.

Of course, getting nailed on the first lap is a set-back no matter which class, engine, or chassis a team chooses.

But, yes, to address your initial query, it would be simpler and cheaper to run in the de facto second-class P-car division .... and even easier, no doubt, to run a GTD Ferrari, Porsche, or Audi. Success Might be easier to come by ....

Or maybe not. As I recall, ESM only won once in GTE (GTLM.) Maybe it's the team, not the car.

Whatever ... Ed Brown obviously wants to be competing for overall wins, not to maximize points. Achieving a goal he doesn't want to achieve isn't much of an achievement, while striving to achieve what he really wants probably feels like an ennobling task, if also a painful trial.

Logic plays a big part in set-up, strategy, logistics ... but the basic decision to go racing is pre-logical, I think.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:55 (Ref:3834562)   #1962
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

They don't get anything, the deal is they buy the engines from Nissan. Just like ByKolles in LMP1.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3834576)   #1963
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
They don't get anything, the deal is they buy the engines from Nissan. Just like ByKolles in LMP1.

Spot on for once. The entirety of the Nissan DPi program is funded by ESM - they paid the participation bribe, they buy the cars, they buy the engines. Nissan doesn't do squat - the only thing they "got" out of it that isn't simply them paying for something is that Onroak agreed to do the aero work either for free or at a massive discount(depending on who you believe).
Old 4 Jul 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3834635)   #1964
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Absolutely, I was just throwing ideas out there. The Nissan Ligier has won races, so it isn't a terrible package, it just seemed to all go wrong last week. Overall they have had reliability issues, but they also have Derani to put in at the end of a race (if the car is functioning) to take it to the front!
Old 5 Jul 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3834837)   #1965
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Its funny that the DPI vs Gibson LMP2 debate has become more intense than Daytona Prototype vs old LMP2. I miss those days actually. I loved the Corvette DP especially. Can't say I really have liked the DPI's very much.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 16:57 (Ref:3834848)   #1966
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Its funny that the DPI vs Gibson LMP2 debate has become more intense than Daytona Prototype vs old LMP2.
I might be out of touch, but I'd say my perception is just the opposite.

The first P vs. P2 debate was sort of ALMS vs. Rolex, dinosaur versus bird, blunt object vs. scalpel ... Sports car vs. NASCAR. People really wanted the more modern, more refined P2s to have a chance against the overweight, antiquated, holdover, tacked-on add-on, tube-framed DPs.

The DP upgrade helped a little but I recall people being very upset that even when they could set a similar lap time, a P2 simply couldn't win a race.

A lot of it was the majority ALMS fans feeling that Rolex had won, and was artificially keeping alive these primitive cars which no other series would allow on simple safety issues.

DPs seemed (in my recollection and my understanding, both of which are exceedingly unreliable) to represent the antithesis of sports-car racing, while P2s were the best representative allowed in the U.S. series--where they weren't allowed to win.

It seems to me that DPis don't excite a huge amount of hatred ... they are proper P2 chassis with bigger horsepower and torque.

While the Fairness issue is the same as ever, it seems as though the fight for the soul of American sportscar racing has been resolved, ultimately in favor of the Eurocentric modernists.

On the other hand, I only get to one race a year nowadays, so maybe all the fans are really riled up about pro-Am teams continuing to lose.

Quote:
I miss those days actually. I loved the Corvette DP especially. Can't say I really have liked the DPI's very much.
In their final iteration, Corvette DPs were pretty good cars, and didn't look bad at all. And who doesn't like a roaring V8 sound echoing around the track?

Still, the Gen3 (or was it Gen4?) DPs were an aero nightmare ... as I recall the Corvette DP body had more drag than the ugly Gen2 body, such that any teams running Gen2s in the Gen3 era were forced to put a gigantic wicker on the rear wing supports---those "styling cues" were aero-expensive.

DPs ended up being decent-looking cars, BoP'd to be able to beat P2s ... I cannot say I "miss" those days, but the last couple DP years were enjoyable to be sure.

One final thought---can you imagine what a good DPi could do if it were allowed to grow into its strengths? Take one of the Action Express Caddys, with 5.5 liters .... modern tub and aero .... put on some real tires, and the the engineers tweak the motor, suspension, and aero trim .... That would get some fans excited, I'd bet.

(Not looking for a fight here---just one person's take on the topic, not saying anyone is right or wrong.)
Old 5 Jul 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3834850)   #1967
Maelochs
Veteran

Just so people don't forget .....

(sorry, this site is fighting me about displaying images .... )
Attached Thumbnails
Petit2-16-race_3279_#5AXR-X3.jpg   Petit2-16-race-PM_4175_#60MSRLigier-X3.jpg   5834PLM10-4-14#01Ganassi30PanXXX-X3.jpg  

#60Shank_2009-PLM-10-4-14-pm-T10-X3.jpg  
Old 5 Jul 2018, 18:29 (Ref:3834874)   #1968
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I might be out of touch, but I'd say my perception is just the opposite.

The first P vs. P2 debate was sort of ALMS vs. Rolex, dinosaur versus bird, blunt object vs. scalpel ... Sports car vs. NASCAR. People really wanted the more modern, more refined P2s to have a chance against the overweight, antiquated, holdover, tacked-on add-on, tube-framed DPs.

The DP upgrade helped a little but I recall people being very upset that even when they could set a similar lap time, a P2 simply couldn't win a race.

A lot of it was the majority ALMS fans feeling that Rolex had won, and was artificially keeping alive these primitive cars which no other series would allow on simple safety issues.

DPs seemed (in my recollection and my understanding, both of which are exceedingly unreliable) to represent the antithesis of sports-car racing, while P2s were the best representative allowed in the U.S. series--where they weren't allowed to win.

It seems to me that DPis don't excite a huge amount of hatred ... they are proper P2 chassis with bigger horsepower and torque.

While the Fairness issue is the same as ever, it seems as though the fight for the soul of American sportscar racing has been resolved, ultimately in favor of the Eurocentric modernists.

On the other hand, I only get to one race a year nowadays, so maybe all the fans are really riled up about pro-Am teams continuing to lose.

In their final iteration, Corvette DPs were pretty good cars, and didn't look bad at all. And who doesn't like a roaring V8 sound echoing around the track?

Still, the Gen3 (or was it Gen4?) DPs were an aero nightmare ... as I recall the Corvette DP body had more drag than the ugly Gen2 body, such that any teams running Gen2s in the Gen3 era were forced to put a gigantic wicker on the rear wing supports---those "styling cues" were aero-expensive.

DPs ended up being decent-looking cars, BoP'd to be able to beat P2s ... I cannot say I "miss" those days, but the last couple DP years were enjoyable to be sure.

One final thought---can you imagine what a good DPi could do if it were allowed to grow into its strengths? Take one of the Action Express Caddys, with 5.5 liters .... modern tub and aero .... put on some real tires, and the the engineers tweak the motor, suspension, and aero trim .... That would get some fans excited, I'd bet.

(Not looking for a fight here---just one person's take on the topic, not saying anyone is right or wrong.)

The battle for the heart and soul as you say was more than just the cars. You had MRN radio vs Radio Le Mans. The whole safety car issue too. Thankfully as you indicated these issues have been settled in a good way. IMSA is not has yellow flag happy as they used to be. Granted I still think virtual safety cars should be implemented for debris and stalled cars. For sure the DPI cars could go faster than they are now. Imagine the BoP taken off them and also put Michelin tires on them. Sub 1 min 30 at Watkins Glen perhaps?
Old 6 Jul 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3835032)   #1969
MaskedRacer
Veteran

It looks like the #75 Mercedes SunEnergy1 car is a no show for CTMP for reasons I do not know at the moment of this post.

#38 Oreca 07 in big trouble to make the grid after a practice 1 crash.
Old 6 Jul 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3835034)   #1970
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It looks like the #75 Mercedes SunEnergy1 car is a no show for CTMP for reasons I do not know at the moment of this post.

#38 Oreca 07 in big trouble to make the grid after a practice 1 crash.
Looks like the partnership between Kenny Habul and Riley Motorsports has dissolved.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/s...ent-from-ctmp/
Old 10 Jul 2018, 04:02 (Ref:3835796)   #1971
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the word on alessandro balzan? He was due to miss Detroit but has been absent for both Watkins and CTMP as well.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 05:04 (Ref:3835803)   #1972
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
He's currently out due to injury. I'm not sure if he'll be back until late in the season from what I've read.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3836113)   #1973
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Lime Rock entry posted. Disappointing so far. Note who is not on it when you view the GTD category.

https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.c..._entrylist.pdf
Old 11 Jul 2018, 19:54 (Ref:3836138)   #1974
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Hopefully that'll change soon, given that they're only three points out of the championship lead. Isn't MSR's co-owner also the owner of Sirius XM, who have been sponsoring the car the past couple of races?

It does seem that only the endurance races were a given for the #86 Acura, and the rest depended on results and sponsorship money.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3836139)   #1975
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Lime Rock entry posted. Disappointing so far. Note who is not on it when you view the GTD category.

https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.c..._entrylist.pdf
That's got to be provisional. No Legges?