Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 10 Mar 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3889431)   #1
carfanatic
Rookie

carfanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1960's 1970's Imp racer Mick O'Dell any info ?

Just wondering if anyone recognises this old racer or has any old race photos or more information on it ?

I have found out that it used to belong to Mick/Mike O'Dell , later Robin Human & by approx. 2006 Ed Newman had it.

http://www.imps4ever.info/racing/rac...ck-o-dell.html

I have trawled the forums here , got some interesting information , nice to see the old race programme copies etc , thanks to those who shared ;

Mick O'Dell won the 1971 Triplex saloon championship , all 10 rounds were held at Silverstone ; ( 7 @ Nottingham Sports car Club Meetings , 2 @ BARC meetings & final @ BRDC Clubmen's championship )

Mick competed in the 850cc class & held the Silverstone record for 850cc in 1972.

He was competing in 1973 also.

I have checked out the Mini 1960s/1970s photo thread , have seen a few Imps in the background there !

IMP details ;

Had a wide side stripe under the current paint , car was RED at one time ,at least on the upper regions.

Esso UNIFLO 1973 saloon car championship competitor large sticker on inside of door & 750MC stickers on door windows

850cc on rear wings , engine has twin weber 40s & rear engine support tied into cage

Front rad & oil cooler , small fuel tank , discs & antirollbar on front

Fibreglass bonnet & wheel arches / spoiler , aluminium bootlid , aluminium doorskin lowers , neat lightening holes EVERYWHERE , ! ( The starter motor is very cool , as are gear shift tube & wheel arch tubs )

distinctive alum strap deadbolt door latches in gutted doors , all Perspex windows & headlight lenses .

A lot of very knowledgeable people on here , so am hopeful !

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 11 Mar 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3889648)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hi carfanatic, welcome to the forum. I hope you get the info you’re looking for, there are several regulars on here with knowledge of the period and special / super saloons!
Old 11 Mar 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3889661)   #3
carfanatic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Hi carfanatic, welcome to the forum. I hope you get the info you’re looking for, there are several regulars on here with knowledge of the period and special / super saloons!

Thanks Mike , this forum has a wealth of knowledge , so will see how it goes
Old 11 Mar 2019, 23:52 (Ref:3889780)   #4
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mike O'Dell

Hi, yes I remember Mike very well. He was indeed the winner of the "Triplex" in 1971, and we were like a traveling circus, as we all raced for points in that series. Mike, to be fair didn't have a lot of competition in the 850cc class, not that it was his fault, that is the way it was in '71. Always a quiet sort of guy as I recall. Is he still with us? Gerry Taylor.
Attached Thumbnails
Championship so far.... 001.jpg  
Old 12 Mar 2019, 07:50 (Ref:3889820)   #5
oneofapair
Racer

oneofapair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You Could try the IMP club or facebook. Robin Human is quite active in Imp owners circle. Hope this helps.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3889825)   #6
A.C.Clegg
Rookie

A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't remember the Imp racing at Oulton Park at that time.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3889828)   #7
carfanatic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
Hi, yes I remember Mike very well. He was indeed the winner of the "Triplex" in 1971, and we were like a traveling circus, as we all raced for points in that series. Mike, to be fair didn't have a lot of competition in the 850cc class, not that it was his fault, that is the way it was in '71. Always a quiet sort of guy as I recall. Is he still with us? Gerry Taylor.
Thanks for that input , don't know whether Mike is still around , but someone will probably know . I like your attached clipping , presumably contained in a scrapbook
Old 12 Mar 2019, 09:02 (Ref:3889831)   #8
carfanatic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofapair View Post
You Could try the IMP club or facebook. Robin Human is quite active in Imp owners circle. Hope this helps.

Thanks for suggestions , have had some success on Imp forum & also located Robin ,not much new information as of yet . Will try Imp FB group.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 12:03 (Ref:3889871)   #9
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic View Post
Thanks for that input , don't know whether Mike is still around , but someone will probably know . I like your attached clipping , presumably contained in a scrapbook
Hi, yes, I run an archive of Special & Super Saloons on facebook. "Gerry Taylor Special Saloon Racing 1960's & 1970's." Quite a number of the guys on here are members. Why not ask my members if THEY have anything they can add to your enquiry. Thanks. GT
ps. May I add, the Imp looks in poor condition, was it found somewhere?
Old 12 Mar 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3889882)   #10
carfanatic
Rookie

Thanks for FB suggestion Gerry, will follow up on it.
Unfortunately Imp was stored outdoors by someone for a time , but it's still ok , a good wash would help ,it's nice & dry indoors now.
Old 25 Apr 2019, 23:15 (Ref:3899658)   #11
aramsay
Rookie

Scotland
Ayrshire
aramsay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great looking car.....I love these just-off-the-track-and-put-away projects.

I have a couple spaceframe Imps, and when looking for info. on them, came
across George Ostroumoff......he raced an Imp in the Esso Uniflow series, but
I think a lot later than your car.....around 1977. I'll ask him if he knows your
car / driver.

Pls. PM me.