Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Apr 2003, 20:46 (Ref:583186)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Most Likely to be Replaced" by Taurus

I'm sure there could be many on your lists...

My "Most Likely" is Team Sezio...they seem to be very behind the curve...didn't have it together a Petit, or Sebring...and the lsits don't seem to show them as having their act together this week...

Your thoughts?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 20:48 (Ref:583187)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally I think that someone like XL Racing will pull out, but we will see
Old 28 Apr 2003, 21:02 (Ref:583198)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Questions:

Is there some sort of "time threshhold" that a team has to meet???
Theoretically, somebody could limp along with three series of 10 laps (for a newcomer) at 8 minutes each if there isn't...

If I remember corectly, the ACO can bring in an alternate if one of the invited teams doesn't run or show "up to standards" or seems to be unprepared, etc...(I thought it was in the preliminary test regulations and procedures -- see the official site)

Has a team been dropped for one of these reasons before?

Old 30 Apr 2003, 17:43 (Ref:585343)   #4
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they can be dropped then Sezio Florida should be very scared. The Taurus team did much, much better than i expected them to at Sebring, and i think they deserve the entry. I saw the Sezio team run at PLM '02 and the Grand-Am event at VIR '02 and i can safely say that they are the slowest LMP team i have ever seen. They were getting passed around the outside by GT cars, not just the class winning GT cars either. Now that may have been down to drivers, but i didn't think any LMP was capable of going slow enough to be trounced by everything else on track. I don't know what the ACO was thinking but they definitely DO NOT deserve to be at Le Mans. The team can probably barely afford it anyway, so it might be wiser for them to stick to this continent.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 17:46 (Ref:585346)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, if anything does, I hope it's a 911 that goes.......

One less won't be missed (IMO)
Old 30 Apr 2003, 18:36 (Ref:585427)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Article 9 of the "preliminary practice regulations" says:

"As soon as the preliminary practice sessions are over, the Section Committee will meet and may forbid entrants to take part in the qualifying practice sessions in June in the event of the quality (presentation of cars, team's work, etc.) being considered as inadequate."

That would seem to leave the Committee with a lot of leeway when it comes to allowing a team to move on to the next step in June....

If Team Sezio is dog slow, doesn't have its drivers in line to race or participate (unless they hire someone who doesn't have to prove him or herself), or otherwise doesn't have its act together in other areas that must meet the Committee's standards, they could very well be replaced...

The speculation on other threads was that they are driving a Norma chassis and the team owner is the North American distributor for Norma....but I don't buy the whole French Bias thing....

Also, teams that find that they just can't cut it from Sunday's sessions can choose not to formally "enter" the June competition.... all teams must notify the committee within 30 minutes following the conclusion of the sessions of their intention to show up in June...

I don't see that happening if a team spent the time and money to show up for PQ, but at least it is theoretically possible....

Old 1 May 2003, 06:06 (Ref:585894)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Well, if anything does, I hope it's a 911 that goes.......

One less won't be missed (IMO)
Same for me , but don't count on it
Old 1 May 2003, 07:19 (Ref:585925)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we're making too many assumptions about Team Sezio. The fact is, at the moment, they're in - and the likelihood (if past years are anything to go by) is that they will stay in. Personally, I suspect the only way a reserve is going to get in is if a team actually drops out (as opposed to being kicked out). I rather doubt that will happen.
Old 1 May 2003, 08:09 (Ref:585953)   #9
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
hartham has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I believe the ACO have the power to add cars like taurus to the list even if none others drop out or are booted out for slowness
Old 1 May 2003, 12:19 (Ref:586157)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I don't think so. 50 starters is your lot. I think I can pretty well guarantee that there will be 50 cars practising for the race (not Test Day). If no-one drops out or is booted out, I don't expect the list to change.

That said, it's the ACO's race - and they can basically do what they want with it.
Old 1 May 2003, 13:49 (Ref:586253)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That's why I asked the question above in this thread:

Has the ACO Selection Committee ever removed anyone after the PQ session....

It would seem to be a pretty hard-core move to do it, but I don't know if there is a precedent for it....

Do many of you "long-timers" ever remember an incident of this nature???

Also...

I agree with you, Aysedasi...I don't see a 51st entry being added, and Team Sezio IS in until they either withdraw or are removed....

and that is a shame, because Taurus belongs in the show, and Team Sezio doesn't....

Old 1 May 2003, 18:25 (Ref:586524)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt

Do many of you "long-timers" ever remember an incident of this nature???

No, I certainly don't.

There have been occasions when cars have failed to qualify for the race during the practice sessions on the Wednesday and Thursday, but I don't recall anyone being booted between PQ and scrutineering.
Old 6 May 2003, 03:25 (Ref:590514)   #13
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm thinking that the Bucknam Pilbeam is a bit mediocre at Le Mans. Also the second WR is way too slow to be in any kind of contention. Then again, I don't think Taurus has a snowball's chance in Hell at being a contender, but they seem to be better prepared than most of the teams that got the invite. I beleive the two reserve Saleens would be the best addition to the grid.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 6 May 2003, 06:37 (Ref:590575)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
It's not done... nobody wants to withraw its own entry, even if the car is hopeless... let's se what ACO will decide... the Lola and a Saleen will be perfect for me, but who'll be fired ?
Old 6 May 2003, 07:02 (Ref:590587)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about the Ascari's a few years ago, they didn't get an enty coz their car was too slow, and too unreliable in the test day.
Old 6 May 2003, 08:44 (Ref:590658)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
True ! And some more were in the same situation in 2000/2001, but it seems that the rules were slightely different : somes cars had to qualified, it's not the case in 2003 ; theoricaly, the 50 solid entries shouldn't be threatened by a cancelation comming from ACO. But apparently, the comitee still has to meet to confirm the entry list I'm not sure of nothing...
Old 6 May 2003, 11:05 (Ref:590797)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
As I've said before, I don't think any of the reserves should have too much money on getting an entry for June......
Old 6 May 2003, 11:12 (Ref:590804)   #18
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I believe the two reserve Saleens would be the best addition to the grid."

I agree!
Old 6 May 2003, 13:22 (Ref:590973)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I agree with your observations above, but if cars would be pulled or dropped for any reason, I don't see it happening in the 675 class, since there are only 7 entries.....

I still say Team Sezio has no business being there....they showed why they don't belong on three occasions...Petit last fall, Sebring and on Sunday....