Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Oct 2020, 08:47 (Ref:4011123)   #226
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Problem is. Moving PU regulations up does not help RBR. They want no change and to keep whatever Honda produces at the end of 2021. Moving it up means if RBR takes the Honda IP, RBR will have to develop a new power unit (which they don't want to do)

Regarding what Honda may deliver in 2021... It's my understanding Honda could have brought an improve solutions for 2020, but pushed it back to 2021. So there is improvements yet to come from Honda before they leave.

Richard

I could be seen as a trade of for Reb Bull. Yes, they have to bridge the period between 2021 and 2023 and be less competitive then if they can't invest. If in return however, they get engine regulations that allows for competitive independent manufacturers the next 5-8 years, that might be a good trade-off for them.

For Ferrari, it's easier to keep their real world brand and product identity if they can retain combustion engines in their road cars, but keep it acceptable by having them run on synthetic fuel.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 17 Oct 2020, 08:53 (Ref:4011124)   #227
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ferrari are the only manufacturer that has always been here due to it’s passion for the sport. After all Enzo only produced road cars to pay for the racing programme
Old 17 Oct 2020, 09:31 (Ref:4011129)   #228
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
. The only non Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari win in the hybrid era has come from Alpha Tauri.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm, not entirely certain that is correct, they've had wins in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 according to Wiki. That would be with Renault and Honda power.
I think you may have misunderstood the point Wolfhound was making Peter..... indeed the only non Red Bull/Ferrari/Mercedes team win in the hybrid era is that of Gasly in the Alpha Tauri this year at Monza. The last race prior to Gasly won by a team other than the 'big three' was Raikkonen in the Lotus at the Australian GP in 2013.

Of course in that time period Red Bull have won with engines by Renault and Honda, as have Ferrari won
Old 17 Oct 2020, 09:39 (Ref:4011131)   #229
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My bad, I don't include RB as a Big team. I shall change my viewpoint.
Old 17 Oct 2020, 09:54 (Ref:4011132)   #230
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
My bad, I don't include RB as a Big team. I shall change my viewpoint.
.... they probably deserve a place this year more than a certain Red team.
Old 17 Oct 2020, 14:05 (Ref:4011148)   #231
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They certainly have organised their team a lot better the Scuderia
Old 24 Oct 2020, 06:41 (Ref:4012326)   #232
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Your on to something there.

So direct road relevance is potentially very unimportant. However the association with F1 and the ability to showcase technology in a generic way may be.

?????????????
Clearly Toto reads 10/10 as he is now saying that the manufacturers have not done enough to promote the technology behind the current hybrid F1 engines...!!!
Old 24 Oct 2020, 07:12 (Ref:4012327)   #233
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Clearly Toto reads 10/10 as he is now saying that the manufacturers have not done enough to promote the technology behind the current hybrid F1 engines...!!!
Probably anxious that they will be banned!!
Old 25 Oct 2020, 01:01 (Ref:4012617)   #234
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Probably anxious that they will be banned!!
I guess when you have sunk $4 billion plus into a dead end technology that only has one use, you are kind of invested!
Old 25 Oct 2020, 07:56 (Ref:4012685)   #235
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
From what Horner is saying if the FIA agree to an engine freeze from the end of 2021, then it will be the Honda engine programme for them. Mugen is now in Milton Keynes, which is handy....
Old 30 Oct 2020, 23:45 (Ref:4013971)   #236
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mercedes says they are perfectly happy to freeze the engines.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...-2022/4897981/

Ferrari says absolutely not!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...-2022/4901200/

Of course Mercedes would be for it as they lead the pack. So it will do nothing but help them. And of course Ferrari would say no, because they are at the bottom and can't assume they will fix their power unit issues before the start of the 2022 season!

Richard
Old 31 Oct 2020, 10:15 (Ref:4014028)   #237
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Mercedes says they are perfectly happy to freeze the engines.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...-2022/4897981/

Ferrari says absolutely not!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...-2022/4901200/

Of course Mercedes would be for it as they lead the pack. So it will do nothing but help them. And of course Ferrari would say no, because they are at the bottom and can't assume they will fix their power unit issues before the start of the 2022 season!

Richard
The only one that really matters is Renault.

Do we really think they’ll want a freeze when there’s 50m a year for 4 years custom on the table? Naive if we do.
Old 31 Oct 2020, 10:27 (Ref:4014030)   #238
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post

Do we really think they’ll want a freeze when there’s 50m a year for 4 years custom on the table? Naive if we do.

Interesting comments from Cyril this morning stating that they wanted an engine freeze/ reduced budget cap 6 months ago but Honda/ Red Bull voted against it.

Renault now wont agree to an engine freeze because theyve invested money into the 2022 engine so dont want to see that investment wasted.

Its interesting because hes basically saying screw you Horner, while at the same time realising by doing so Red Bull will have to use the Renault engine, becuase without the freeze, Honda wont be competitive.
Old 31 Oct 2020, 13:24 (Ref:4014060)   #239
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Why does only Renault matter?

How would this change come about? With enough time lead is it a majority decision? If not enough lead time a unanimous decision? If Ferrari has veto power can’t they veto this either way? I would think Ferrari is the key and most difficult hurdle.

Richard
Old 31 Oct 2020, 13:46 (Ref:4014063)   #240
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
The reason is that it’s only Renault that RB can pay the big bucks to. Ferrari do matter too of course, but I can’t see RB with them. It’s no majority decision.
Old 31 Oct 2020, 20:21 (Ref:4014147)   #241
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The reason is that it’s only Renault that RB can pay the big bucks to. Ferrari do matter too of course, but I can’t see RB with them. It’s no majority decision.
I think since it's a late rule change (the no-freeze was agreed previously and signed off) it has to be unanimous. Not sure if Ferrari has a veto on this one but I think they do.
That's why Red Bull wants FIA to step up and decide this one on their own.
Isn't going to happen, I'd think. Especially not if Renault and Ferrari publicly announce they do not want it.
Old 31 Oct 2020, 21:21 (Ref:4014155)   #242
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Isn't going to happen, I'd think. Especially not if Renault and Ferrari publicly announce they do not want it.
I suppose that depends on how seriously they take the threat of Red Bull pulling both their teams out of f1.....
Old 31 Oct 2020, 21:40 (Ref:4014160)   #243
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
I suppose that depends on how seriously they take the threat of Red Bull pulling both their teams out of f1.....
Did they really threaten to leave F1 if they don't get it their way, or is that just rumour?

Still, I hope FIA doesn't give in to that kind of blackmail (Change the rules or we walk)
Not if Ferrari does it, not if Red Bull does it.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 13:08 (Ref:4014259)   #244
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Did they really threaten to leave F1 if they don't get it their way, or is that just rumour?

Still, I hope FIA doesn't give in to that kind of blackmail (Change the rules or we walk)
Not if Ferrari does it, not if Red Bull does it.
https://f1i.com/news/387230-red-bull...ne-freeze.html
Old 1 Nov 2020, 13:10 (Ref:4014262)   #245
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I propose a new rule. Any team or engine manufacturer who threatens to leave F1 if the rules aren't built the way they want them should be given a 10 year ban. Especially engine manufacturers only interested in pushing costs up to stop new entries.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 13:14 (Ref:4014265)   #246
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is it a threat or a financial reality?
Old 1 Nov 2020, 13:20 (Ref:4014268)   #247
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does it matter? The reason it could be a financial reality is because of teams like Red Bull, Renault and Mercedes demanding things go the way they want it. This is what happens when you let the competitors decide the rules. The rich popular ones build it how they want.

In this specific case I'd argue it's not a financial reality. They don't have to design their own engines. They can just use Renaults. If Horner wasn't such a gigantic unlikable tool who hadn't burnt every bridge at every opportunity, that would be a more viable option for them.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 13:27 (Ref:4014275)   #248
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it matters. Even with the budget cap, the addition of an engine program, is a half billion a year spend. That matters.

And using a Renault engine may be a bigger waste of money. for them and honestly for us as fans as well imo.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 13:35 (Ref:4014282)   #249
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
But the only reason we're in the situation of engines costing half a billion is because we do listen to what teams want and bow down to these threats. We're, quite literally, having the rich dictate the rules, which suits them better - and then they profit off of selling these insane engines that only they want to the smaller teams. And then Mr Wollf, whilst rolling in his dollas tells everyone engines are cheap and they should sell them more expensive.

It's a ridiculous situation to be in and can only be solved by the FIA being a governing body and deciding the rules, rather than allowing the manufacturers to define them.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 13:39 (Ref:4014286)   #250
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Agreed. The manus have too much power.

Might have done the sport some good if the top privateer took a harder stand.

But of course Mclaren are proving a team can come back though.