Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Sep 2020, 21:09 (Ref:4002300)   #151
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Still making cameos in Black Adder sketches I guess 😂
Old 13 Sep 2020, 21:20 (Ref:4002303)   #152
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 13 Sep 2020, 21:23 (Ref:4002304)   #153
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully F1 will never race at Mugello again. It's a beautiful circuit but I don't believe it's right for F1. Very fast, twisty and narrow.
Great to see Albon on the podium but I was sad to see Horner play down this success by saying it was a shame Max's car failed as they could have challenged the Mercs. Poor really, he should have been supportive of his No 2 driver not belittling the achievement. Still, I suppose he's running out of business partners to blame.
Old 13 Sep 2020, 21:30 (Ref:4002305)   #154
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hopefully they do. And if we chose only circuits that are right for F1 then we don't have any races.

In the bit I saw I thought Horner was quite nice about Albon
Old 13 Sep 2020, 21:32 (Ref:4002306)   #155
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Post race interview on C4, damned with faint praise springs to mind.
Old 13 Sep 2020, 21:49 (Ref:4002309)   #156
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Hopefully F1 will never race at Mugello again. It's a beautiful circuit but I don't believe it's right for F1. Very fast, twisty and narrow.
Sounds like a perfect circuit to me. Agree that it's different to the wide open spaces we're used to these days but to me Mugello is a "proper" circuit - takes genuine commitment to go fast, it's demanding and tiring and bites hard if careless or the talent runs out - it presents the type of challenges that circuits should provide.

The location and scenery simply make it breathtaking! Unlikely we'll see it again due to being in Italy and number of races per country etc but in an ideal world, F1 would go there again (& again).
Old 13 Sep 2020, 22:00 (Ref:4002313)   #157
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Sounds like a perfect circuit to me. Agree that it's different to the wide open spaces we're used to these days but to me Mugello is a "proper" circuit - takes genuine commitment to go fast, it's demanding and tiring and bites hard if careless or the talent runs out - it presents the type of challenges that circuits should provide.

The location and scenery simply make it breathtaking! Unlikely we'll see it again due to being in Italy and number of races per country etc but in an ideal world, F1 would go there again (& again).
Well there’s potential of moving the European gp there 😋
Old 14 Sep 2020, 03:03 (Ref:4002354)   #158
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What is Bob doing these days?
Selling beer.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 03:21 (Ref:4002356)   #159
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Amen to that.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 05:22 (Ref:4002360)   #160
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
At the time Bottas said the "need safety car" line, I thought "How defeated do you have to be to be thinking like that"
At Mugello the earlier the leader gets on it on the start straight the bigger the tow he’s gives everybody behind the more of a sitting duck he is at turn one. For me he thought about it and did the right thing , unfortunately Hamilton had more battery and a tie anyway
Old 14 Sep 2020, 06:15 (Ref:4002362)   #161
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see FFords back on TV again
Old 14 Sep 2020, 07:08 (Ref:4002365)   #162
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Mugello can stay, replace Barcelona-Catalunya with it.
It would definitely be a step up on Barcelona. For a radical departure from tradition, how about replacing Monza? It has a few good corners and lots of slow chicanes.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 07:27 (Ref:4002368)   #163
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Post race interview on C4, damned with faint praise springs to mind.

I thought he wriggled a fair bit when asked the direct question about why Albon hadn't been confirmed for next year.Before finally admitting that there was a long contract in place that needed the team's confirmation of the seat.

I thought the circuit had a lot more going for it than some of the Tilkedromes that have been foisted on us over the years.Maybe it could be included on a list of those hosting a European GP in future years.

I am curious as to how the Hamilton shirt saga will play out.The tradition of no political statements from the podium has led to repeat visits to races hosted in places with extremely dubious human rights records.Liberty and the FIA might be more than a little nervous of a repetition.It has to be said that the USA might be a little less welcoming after a high visibility criticism of it's law enforcement personnel.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 07:40 (Ref:4002369)   #164
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does anybody know what the cause of Sroll's puncture was debris or wear as I have seen no mention of it ?
Old 14 Sep 2020, 07:57 (Ref:4002377)   #165
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While preparing the chequered flag for the end of the penultimate race of the day at Donington yesterday, one of my colleagues told me that I'd better have set my DVR to overrun the Grand Prix recording... So I knew I had something to either get excited, worry, or cringe about when I got home.

Turned out it was all three!

Mugello is a beautiful, non-sterile circuit. The elevation changes themselves are pretty unusual compared to most circuits, and it bites.

But... Well... The race. Not sure what to think, really, the lap 1 incident was just a mess, too many cars in too small a space, mainly caused by the glitch in Verstappen's electronics. That happens. The restart incident I initially put down to Bottas as the leader isn't supposed to weave once they have control, but winding back and watching again it was definitely on those who hung back and wound up for a run on those ahead. Fell squarely into the "what were they thinking?" box, unless what they were thinking was "let's fly into a load of slower machinery and cause ludicrous amounts of damage".

Stroll was unlucky.

Hamilton nailed the restarts and did what he needed to do to win, again. Bottas... what can he do? Probably nothing. Hamilton has him on the ropes.

Albon worked hard for his place but definitely benefitted from the carnage (as did Gasly and co last week).

I might have to watch it through again when I'm not nodding off though! Just to be sure, like
Old 14 Sep 2020, 08:04 (Ref:4002379)   #166
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I thought he wriggled a fair bit when asked the direct question about why Albon hadn't been confirmed for next year.Before finally admitting that there was a long contract in place that needed the team's confirmation of the seat.

I thought the circuit had a lot more going for it than some of the Tilkedromes that have been foisted on us over the years.Maybe it could be included on a list of those hosting a European GP in future years.

I am curious as to how the Hamilton shirt saga will play out.The tradition of no political statements from the podium has led to repeat visits to races hosted in places with extremely dubious human rights records.Liberty and the FIA might be more than a little nervous of a repetition.It has to be said that the USA might be a little less welcoming after a high visibility criticism of it's law enforcement personnel.
Cannot wait to see Putins face on the podium if Lewis wears a T shirt like that ! Bet Putin won't have his Bully boys "arrest" him....
Old 14 Sep 2020, 08:16 (Ref:4002383)   #167
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was it just me, or did Toto look significantly uncomfortable while Hamilton was on the podium. Rightly or wrongly, I freely confess that I was.... Personally I would be very surprised indeed if Hamilton has not already been told that he does not do that again....
Old 14 Sep 2020, 08:43 (Ref:4002395)   #168
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Was it just me, or did Toto look significantly uncomfortable while Hamilton was on the podium. Rightly or wrongly, I freely confess that I was.... Personally I would be very surprised indeed if Hamilton has not already been told that he does not do that again....
I guess like all Big stars ,they all get out of control with nobody prepared to say no I doubt he would have worn it if Lauda had been there. Please don't think I don't support his views - but there is a time and place - look at Marcus Rashford
Old 14 Sep 2020, 09:00 (Ref:4002398)   #169
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
So 12 drivers have been warned for "inconsistent application of throttle and brake" during the restart.

Honestly, the FIA need to look at the way that the restarts are done - if over half the grid have to be warned, then perhaps the fault actually lies with the way that the restarts are done instead or actually with the majority of the drivers?

The combination of the safety car switching its lights off very late, and the long pit straight meant that the lead car has little option other than to "go" very late unless they want to be passed before turn 1.

It was a right mess, and thankfully all drivers are OK.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 09:03 (Ref:4002399)   #170
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Bob was a special driver though. When things went wrong he always seemed to autocorrect.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 09:19 (Ref:4002404)   #171
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
So 12 drivers have been warned for "inconsistent application of throttle and brake" during the restart.

Honestly, the FIA need to look at the way that the restarts are done - if over half the grid have to be warned, then perhaps the fault actually lies with the way that the restarts are done instead or actually with the majority of the drivers?

The combination of the safety car switching its lights off very late, and the long pit straight meant that the lead car has little option other than to "go" very late unless they want to be passed before turn 1.

I think Monza and Mugello highlighted the benefits of red-flag-and-restart over the safety car. Perhaps we can ditch the safety car and just use the VSC (with a better name please) and re-starts. In that case I would say total parc ferme during red flags (no tyre changes) and possibly no tyre changes during VSC either (I hate these "free pitstops").

One major advantage of a standing start over a rolling start is that drivers are properly monitored for when they start racing. Cars at the back can't try to get an advantage by effectively jumping the start, which was the cause of the big crash yesterday.

I've never understood why the lead driver is given control of safety car restarts. If we really have to keep the safety car, why not run the pitlane speed limiter from the moment the safety car peels off and initiate the start with the normal start lights when the lead driver reaches the front of the grid?
Old 14 Sep 2020, 09:24 (Ref:4002406)   #172
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

I've never understood why the lead driver is given control of safety car restarts. If we really have to keep the safety car, why not run the pitlane speed limiter from the moment the safety car peels off and initiate the start with the normal start lights when the lead driver reaches the front of the grid?
Totally agree.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 10:50 (Ref:4002419)   #173
greentrumpet
Racer

That is far too sensible, it doesn't "spice up the show" and won't appeal to fans with a short attention span.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 11:23 (Ref:4002425)   #174
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That wasn't just you. And Toto wasn't the only one on the Mercedes team who looked uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

Agree, I think the rule makers are as much to blame as the 12 drivers.
I think the FIA should think of a better way of doing this.

The late lights off notification ensures the leader can't pull a gap before the last corner. If he could then the 2nd car probably wouldn't be able to pass the leder (and so on) -- and that is not good for the show of course.

Why not let them line up ont he grid and start from there? Just like after the red flag but without stopping in the pits and without the free tire changes.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 11:27 (Ref:4002427)   #175
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I am glad that I avoided hearing or seeing what happened before I watched the highlights

Race was looking good with Bottas getting the jump on Hamilton on the original start, just a shame he couldn’t stay ahead on the second start. Sort of killed the race a little bit. Would have been interesting if Verstappen hadn’t had that power problem, he would have also got the jump on Hamilton too

Great race by Albon after a good qualifying. Once again great moves round the outside and finally got his first podium. Ricciardo is showing he’s still got the means to get more wins. Just a shame the red flag cheated Russell out of the points finish him and Williams deserve

Good for Ferrari they finally got both cars in the points again on their 1000th race. Good to see Leclerc up there at the beginning, shame he didn’t have the pace to stay there

First red flag wasn’t Bottas fault, he was doing everything within the rules and let’s face it, he didn’t do a sudden stop like Schumi used to. For me, maybe it’s time they bought back the SC line that they introduced 10 years ago, that was placed before the pit entrance on each circuit.

For the second week running we had a red flag due to barrier damage. Back in the day this very rarely happened if at all. It does make you wonder why it’s the case now, although obviously safety becoming even more important as time goes has something to do with it. Maybe tyre walls have had their day?

Anyway it was good to race on Mugello, a proper old school circuit where mistakes were punished and where track limits weren’t mentioned once AFAIK, which makes a nice change. Sochi is really going to look sterile by comparison