Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 May 2021, 11:50 (Ref:4051022)   #16
Lancsbreaker
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Having "only" one sister I must admit that I had more fun with diecast models than with any circuit. Only my bleeding knees could stop me from playing on the carpet! School playground what the right place to test and discover that some drop of oil can make a model running faster and longer. I remember a Talbot Lago bringing some laurels in the form of bag of marbles. Dinky Toys I'm pretty sure.

I remember my Dinky Talbot Lago as being heavily played with
Old 11 May 2021, 11:59 (Ref:4051024)   #17
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Just like the recreation & continuation cars in the real world, you can now buy a brand-new copy Dinky Talbot-Lago from Atlas!

It's made in China rather than Liverpool though...
Old 11 May 2021, 12:39 (Ref:4051050)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I cant remember if mine had originally white tyres… What I remember is that Mum did not appreciate the light oil and grim generously spread on her carpet! Sorry.
Old 11 May 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4051064)   #19
Tim Barry
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rainham, Kent, UK
Tim Barry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Still got mine in the loft along with Cooper-Bristol, Ferrari (625/500??) and others!
Old 11 May 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4051107)   #20
Aysedasi
Racing goats.....
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I was pretty young, perhaps 5 or 6, I had quite a collection of toy cars, Matchbox, Dinky and Corgi. We had a heavily patterned carpet in the lounge with swirls in the pattern which looked like straights and corners. I used to race the cars around an imaginary carpet 'track', but the game wasn't entirely random. I used a dice to determine how far each car would move, a one would be one car length, a two two car lengths etc etc. I used to play for hours and it could take a long time to complete a lap of the lounge! It was great fun though and I would certainly love to still have some of the cars that I used to 'race' back in my childhood. I didn't get the chance to graduate to Scalextric until a lot later.
Old 11 May 2021, 17:36 (Ref:4051110)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did you play on the sand beach pushing marbles? It was good fun between high and low water.
We had the Matchbox and Dinky brands here of course but not many Corgi's. The cheapest cars were made in plastic by Norev offering detailed and accurate models but rather weak.

Last edited by Gerard C; 11 May 2021 at 17:41.
Old 11 May 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4051111)   #22
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think that the Corgi cars were as good as the Dinkys, quality wise that is, but they did have a few rather good models that didn't feature in the Dinky range.
Old 11 May 2021, 18:32 (Ref:4051117)   #23
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
You're certainly right Mike but if undoubtedly interesting I found the scale used by Corgy was too different from others and some details like opening doors looked awkward to say the least. The "coffrets" looked quite interesting but when the particular model was related to a TV series we could not watch in France, the interest was low (comme, par exemple, la Ford Capri vue dans Les Professionnels).
Old 11 May 2021, 18:36 (Ref:4051120)   #24
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Did you play on the sand beach pushing marbles? It was good fun between high and low water.
We had the Matchbox and Dinky brands here of course but not many Corgi's. The cheapest cars were made in plastic by Norev offering detailed and accurate models but rather weak.
I don't know, I've picked up quite a few very good old Corgi's here in France.

I recently bought several 1960's Corgi & Dinky models on eBay recently from someone who actually lived only 10 minutes away from me! All were in virtually mint condition, except that the headlights had all been painted yellow. My usual method of removing overpainting doesn't seem to work, though.
Old 11 May 2021, 18:39 (Ref:4051121)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
A complete Daktari set in good nick must make some money! Same thing for the Land Rover towing a Ferrari.

May be Corgi killed the competition with James Bond Aston Martin. Expensive and wonderful.

Last edited by Gerard C; 11 May 2021 at 18:48.
Old 11 May 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4051127)   #26
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
A complete Daktari set in good nick must make some money! Same thing for the Land Rover towing a Ferrari.

May be Corgi killed the competition with James Bond Aston Martin. Expensive and wonderful.
Neither are particularly expensive - you can currently buy mint boxed examples of either for about 200 euros on eBay. The Ferrari set is even in France for you!

The original Corgi James Bond Aston Martin is due-to be re-released soon. There have been several iterations over the years but none as good as the original until now.
Old 11 May 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4051129)   #27
Aysedasi
Racing goats.....
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I had the wonderful Corgi Ferrari Berlinetta when I was young. Lost it of course but bought it again a few years ago. Very good condition. Succumbed to the temptation of selling it for twice what I paid...... It's a very popular model - they even make repro boxes for them.....
Old 11 May 2021, 19:59 (Ref:4051132)   #28
Lancsbreaker
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I remember "graduating" a bit from Dinky and Corgi to Spot-on models, made by Triang, which were IIRC 1:42 scale and very good models.....but only did roadgoing cars vans and trucks from what I remember - don't think any race cars.
Old 11 May 2021, 20:43 (Ref:4051139)   #29
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being a Jim Clark fan aged 7 or 8, I had the Corgi Lotus Racing set with yellow and green Elans, F1 car and a VW pickup and trailer. The Elans had the separate chassis. I took the F1 car to school and raced it down the playground as small boys do.
Sets since seen on ebay (with box) at between £200 and £400 ...

Still got the London Sydney Hillman Hunter and a Solido Ford MKIV. The latter's products were much better replicas than Corgi or Dinky.
Old 11 May 2021, 22:15 (Ref:4051155)   #30
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
In the mid-late 80's I had Trimoco Group A saloons, British F3, F3000, my own version of a British Open F1 series, Prodsaloons, even one or two one-make series going. Lol!!
Many of the cars were used across all categories with those little round or oblong color coded wall calendar stickers used for numbers and driver/car names.
I wrote race results down in note books, (think they were school excercise books?) along with a brief report. Perhaps my school grades would have been better if I used the exercise books for homework!
One year i think the F3 was about 40 odd rounds and european entries often entered for Brit GP supports and the finals meetings! Imagine the budgets and logistics required for that! Ditto with Group A.. top notch works and privateers from ETC, France, Germany and even Australia joining the series regulars.
All those pre season entry rumours we read in Autosport or MN that never quite happened in real life?
They did in high level bedroom floor racing lol!