Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2021, 22:32 (Ref:4051159)   #31
E.B
Veteran
 
E.B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
Posts: 4,012
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
whoops wrong thread
E.B is offline  
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 00:32 (Ref:4051164)   #32
E.B
Veteran
 
E.B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
Posts: 4,012
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
I grew up in West Africa in fairly remote parts, so no TV or normal things for entertainment..... but there was a shop in a nearby town that sold Dinky and Corgi toys, I was already into motor racing.... something to do with Dad getting Motorsport Magazine delivered via Banana Boat from the UK every month (he was an engineer with Fyffes Bananas!) So I had all the Dinky and Corgi racing cars.... they were all I ever wanted as presents. I certainly remember the Talbot Lago, an Alfa Romeo and Maserati plus the one I used to enjoy most I cant remember quite what it was but it was a light green colour. It wasn't one of the main makes but what it was escapes me.
Our house was built on stilts and the ground level was a big slab of concrete where the Land Rover lived along with tables and chairs for socialising. It made a great surface for diecast cars.
Then c1959 I got a small Scalextric set for Christmas. It had just been released and again came by Banana Boat from the UK. That I soon realised was as much for Dad to use than me! Anyway we used to play it for hours and over the years it was added to, track and cars, at every Birthday and Xmas. Cars I remember were a Vanwall, BRM P25, Lotus 21 (blue!), Cooper (Red), Jaguar D Type and Lister Jag. The electrical connections were dreadful and often the metal contacts would break and the car in that lane would stop.
I remember being very upset when at 8yo I was despatched to boarding school in the UK and not allowed to take it.
Dad was transferred back to London in the late sixties, and the house we lived in soon had the loft boarded up and quite a large Scalextric set was assembled. The track had evolved from the original, had became plexitrac then or similar, and had to use special adaptors to join old and new types of track.
I joined a local slot car club in Hampton Court with some school friends (I had become a dayboy) and we started making scratch built cars from brass plate and piano wire. I got quite handy with the soldering iron. We used transverse motors with re-wound armatures (I think the term was 'side-winders' but we had 'angle-winders' as well, which were 45degrees mounted) and the track was 6 lane, made from plywood board and with copper tape. Just plug in your controller and away you go. The car bodies we bought as clear plastic flimsy things which we would paint on the inside and mount to the chassis with pins. Every Friday night Dad's Taxi would drop me off there and pick me up later. My first home build was a Chaparral and that made may for a McLaren M8B.
Which led me to my first motor sport competition. Said school friends and I decided to enter as a team at a 24hour race in Southend. Wonderland Raceway IIRC. Before I was old enough to drive so our Mums and Dads took us. Quite an eye opener as we found ourselves up against teams of adults, some from Holland I remember. All with huge boxes of equipment We finished, albeit last but one, a few thousand laps off the pace. I got my first ever motor racing trophy! I think it was an encouragement award!
Funnily enough I couldn't get die cast cars out of my head.... when I started working my first 'proper' job was with Mettoy (Corgi Toys). One of my first projects was to evaluate the then new market for radio control toys. I would spend my day in the car park 'evaluating' different remote control cars!
I then went on to work for Dinky Toys as Product Development Manager, before moving to Airfix, (who by then had bought Dinky)..... and then Airfix went bust. Then after I moved to Australia I ended up working for Mattel looking after their boy's toys for a few years!
I had over the years through work collected quite a lot of die-cast samples which I still have in a box somewhere.
It was quite sad when Airfix went down.... All sorts of stuff went into the skip. I managed to save the original Dinky Toy engineers drawings plus a few samples in development. Several years later they ended up being flogged off at auction in the UK where I had left most of it with Mum and Dad. Paid for a large part of my divorce settlement.
I still have a few little gems.... a pre-production Dinky Granada Ghia which never went into production. Unpainted and complete with the interior and wheels, albeit all unassembled. I also have an MRRC slot car set, still in its box unopened which includes an M23 and a 312T, plus 'several' cars boxed and unused, all from the 70's.
Anyway this has meandered away from the die-cast loungeroom GP memories.
E.B is offline  
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 00:47 (Ref:4051166)   #33
Lancsbreaker
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Lancsbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
England
Padiham, Lancashire
Posts: 3,410
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
It may have meandered, but a great tale, nonetheless
Lancsbreaker is offline  
__________________
Richard Murtha: Yay! Return to the track achieved....Still old and slow, of course!
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 05:30 (Ref:4051175)   #34
Gerard C
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
French Polynesia
My place
Posts: 6,507
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wont comment your moving post Chris, we know each other, do we?

Après ce moment de pure émotion, may be its time to congratulate Mike Powell and his brilliant idea of thread.
Sun is shining, bistrots are to reopen… cheers!
Gerard C is offline  
__________________
La verite ne triomphe pas toujours, mais tous ses ennemis finissent par mourir un jour ou l'autre. C'est la vie!
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 05:34 (Ref:4051177)   #35
John Elwin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
France
Pas de Calais
Posts: 2,345
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I grew up in West Africa in fairly remote parts, so no TV or normal things for entertainment..... but there was a shop in a nearby town that sold Dinky and Corgi toys, I was already into motor racing.... something to do with Dad getting Motorsport Magazine delivered via Banana Boat from the UK every month (he was an engineer with Fyffes Bananas!) So I had all the Dinky and Corgi racing cars.... they were all I ever wanted as presents. I certainly remember the Talbot Lago, an Alfa Romeo and Maserati plus the one I used to enjoy most I cant remember quite what it was but it was a light green colour. It wasn't one of the main makes but what it was escapes me.
Our house was built on stilts and the ground level was a big slab of concrete where the Land Rover lived along with tables and chairs for socialising. It made a great surface for diecast cars.
Then c1959 I got a small Scalextric set for Christmas. It had just been released and again came by Banana Boat from the UK. That I soon realised was as much for Dad to use than me! Anyway we used to play it for hours and over the years it was added to, track and cars, at every Birthday and Xmas. Cars I remember were a Vanwall, BRM P25, Lotus 21 (blue!), Cooper (Red), Jaguar D Type and Lister Jag. The electrical connections were dreadful and often the metal contacts would break and the car in that lane would stop.
I remember being very upset when at 8yo I was despatched to boarding school in the UK and not allowed to take it.
Dad was transferred back to London in the late sixties, and the house we lived in soon had the loft boarded up and quite a large Scalextric set was assembled. The track had evolved from the original, had became plexitrac then or similar, and had to use special adaptors to join old and new types of track.
I joined a local slot car club in Hampton Court with some school friends (I had become a dayboy) and we started making scratch built cars from brass plate and piano wire. I got quite handy with the soldering iron. We used transverse motors with re-wound armatures (I think the term was 'side-winders' but we had 'angle-winders' as well, which were 45degrees mounted) and the track was 6 lane, made from plywood board and with copper tape. Just plug in your controller and away you go. The car bodies we bought as clear plastic flimsy things which we would paint on the inside and mount to the chassis with pins. Every Friday night Dad's Taxi would drop me off there and pick me up later. My first home build was a Chaparral and that made may for a McLaren M8B.
Which led me to my first motor sport competition. Said school friends and I decided to enter as a team at a 24hour race in Southend. Wonderland Raceway IIRC. Before I was old enough to drive so our Mums and Dads took us. Quite an eye opener as we found ourselves up against teams of adults, some from Holland I remember. All with huge boxes of equipment We finished, albeit last but one, a few thousand laps off the pace. I got my first ever motor racing trophy! I think it was an encouragement award!
Funnily enough I couldn't get die cast cars out of my head.... when I started working my first 'proper' job was with Mettoy (Corgi Toys). One of my first projects was to evaluate the then new market for radio control toys. I would spend my day in the car park 'evaluating' different remote control cars!
I then went on to work for Dinky Toys as Product Development Manager, before moving to Airfix, (who by then had bought Dinky)..... and then Airfix went bust. Then after I moved to Australia I ended up working for Mattel looking after their boy's toys for a few years!
I had over the years through work collected quite a lot of die-cast samples which I still have in a box somewhere.
It was quite sad when Airfix went down.... All sorts of stuff went into the skip. I managed to save the original Dinky Toy engineers drawings plus a few samples in development. Several years later they ended up being flogged off at auction in the UK where I had left most of it with Mum and Dad. Paid for a large part of my divorce settlement.
I still have a few little gems.... a pre-production Dinky Granada Ghia which never went into production. Unpainted and complete with the interior and wheels, albeit all unassembled. I also have an MRRC slot car set, still in its box unopened which includes an M23 and a 312T, plus 'several' cars boxed and unused, all from the 70's.
Anyway this has meandered away from the die-cast loungeroom GP memories.
I would think the pale green racing Dinky racing car was an HWM.
John Elwin is online now  
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 06:01 (Ref:4051179)   #36
E.B
Veteran
 
E.B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
Posts: 4,012
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I would think the pale green racing Dinky racing car was an HWM.
Thanks John.... with your info I looked it up online and that is indeed the one.
In fact I found one online for sale.
https://www.vectis.co.uk/lot/dinky-2...ing-car_759555

Ironically it is up for auction with Vectis, who are the very organisation I used when I put my collectible die-cast stuff mentioned in my post up for sale (by auction). A fine job they did too considering it was all pre internet, back in the 1990's. I still have the catalogues in my study from the sales my stuff was in.
E.B is offline  
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 06:32 (Ref:4051181)   #37
John Elwin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
France
Pas de Calais
Posts: 2,345
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Thanks John.... with your info I looked it up online and that is indeed the one.
In fact I found one online for sale.
https://www.vectis.co.uk/lot/dinky-2...ing-car_759555

Ironically it is up for auction with Vectis, who are the very organisation I used when I put my collectible die-cast stuff mentioned in my post up for sale (by auction). A fine job they did too considering it was all pre internet, back in the 1990's. I still have the catalogues in my study from the sales my stuff was in.
Oh dear, now I might have to buy myself a birthday present!

We lived in Hersham before coming here, so I have a passing interest in HWM, which still exists in name.

I too sold quite a lot of stuff through Vectis a few years ago, but it was a bit of a tale of two halves.. They were split over two auctions; the first one did well, the second one they lumped rather unrelated things together in lots & as a consequence did not sell well.
John Elwin is online now  
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 07:14 (Ref:4051183)   #38
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran
 
VIVA GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
England
Leicestershire
Posts: 4,950
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I grew up in West Africa in fairly remote parts, so no TV or normal things for entertainment..... but there was a shop in a nearby town that sold Dinky and Corgi toys, I was already into motor racing.... something to do with Dad getting Motorsport Magazine delivered via Banana Boat from the UK every month (he was an engineer with Fyffes Bananas!) So I had all the Dinky and Corgi racing cars.... they were all I ever wanted as presents. I certainly remember the Talbot Lago, an Alfa Romeo and Maserati plus the one I used to enjoy most I cant remember quite what it was but it was a light green colour. It wasn't one of the main makes but what it was escapes me.
Our house was built on stilts and the ground level was a big slab of concrete where the Land Rover lived along with tables and chairs for socialising. It made a great surface for diecast cars.
Then c1959 I got a small Scalextric set for Christmas. It had just been released and again came by Banana Boat from the UK. That I soon realised was as much for Dad to use than me! Anyway we used to play it for hours and over the years it was added to, track and cars, at every Birthday and Xmas. Cars I remember were a Vanwall, BRM P25, Lotus 21 (blue!), Cooper (Red), Jaguar D Type and Lister Jag. The electrical connections were dreadful and often the metal contacts would break and the car in that lane would stop.
I remember being very upset when at 8yo I was despatched to boarding school in the UK and not allowed to take it.
Dad was transferred back to London in the late sixties, and the house we lived in soon had the loft boarded up and quite a large Scalextric set was assembled. The track had evolved from the original, had became plexitrac then or similar, and had to use special adaptors to join old and new types of track.
I joined a local slot car club in Hampton Court with some school friends (I had become a dayboy) and we started making scratch built cars from brass plate and piano wire. I got quite handy with the soldering iron. We used transverse motors with re-wound armatures (I think the term was 'side-winders' but we had 'angle-winders' as well, which were 45degrees mounted) and the track was 6 lane, made from plywood board and with copper tape. Just plug in your controller and away you go. The car bodies we bought as clear plastic flimsy things which we would paint on the inside and mount to the chassis with pins. Every Friday night Dad's Taxi would drop me off there and pick me up later. My first home build was a Chaparral and that made may for a McLaren M8B.
Which led me to my first motor sport competition. Said school friends and I decided to enter as a team at a 24hour race in Southend. Wonderland Raceway IIRC. Before I was old enough to drive so our Mums and Dads took us. Quite an eye opener as we found ourselves up against teams of adults, some from Holland I remember. All with huge boxes of equipment We finished, albeit last but one, a few thousand laps off the pace. I got my first ever motor racing trophy! I think it was an encouragement award!
Funnily enough I couldn't get die cast cars out of my head.... when I started working my first 'proper' job was with Mettoy (Corgi Toys). One of my first projects was to evaluate the then new market for radio control toys. I would spend my day in the car park 'evaluating' different remote control cars!
I then went on to work for Dinky Toys as Product Development Manager, before moving to Airfix, (who by then had bought Dinky)..... and then Airfix went bust. Then after I moved to Australia I ended up working for Mattel looking after their boy's toys for a few years!
I had over the years through work collected quite a lot of die-cast samples which I still have in a box somewhere.
It was quite sad when Airfix went down.... All sorts of stuff went into the skip. I managed to save the original Dinky Toy engineers drawings plus a few samples in development. Several years later they ended up being flogged off at auction in the UK where I had left most of it with Mum and Dad. Paid for a large part of my divorce settlement.
I still have a few little gems.... a pre-production Dinky Granada Ghia which never went into production. Unpainted and complete with the interior and wheels, albeit all unassembled. I also have an MRRC slot car set, still in its box unopened which includes an M23 and a 312T, plus 'several' cars boxed and unused, all from the 70's.
Anyway this has meandered away from the die-cast loungeroom GP memories.
Blimey E.B, we must be of a similar age!
Corgi toys were always my favourites (I thought they looked more life-like than the Dinky Toys) and as a youngster I was an easy choice for Birthday & Christmas presents. I tried to keep them immaculate, so often wouldn't let anyone else play with them (especially my sister!).
Dad bought us a Scalextric set when it first came out (well, he said it was for us!) and this supplanted the Hornby Double-O train set I'd adored up until then. The original track was rubbish, often pulling apart and rarely making full contact on both lanes all the way around the track. We too upgraded to the newer version of the track as soon as it was released and also had the adaptors to connect it to the old style track too. (I don't know why as it still suffered with pulling apart and not making connections).
Through his work-mates (Dad was an engineer) he joined a local slot-car racing club (there were two in Leicester) and I used to go with him on a (Monday?) evening initially helping building the track (yes, out of hardboard and with copper tape stuck on for the contacts) and although there were some serious races, I was often allowed to 'have a go' with some of the other guys cars. The cars in these days were often just Scalextric models, some with 'better' motors installed. In my teens I joined the other Leicester club and by now the cars had become the far more elaborate brass plate & piano wire constructions. This was all great fun but eventually my interest started to fizzle out and I think the same thing was happening throughout the club as the numbers at the meetings got smaller & smaller.
Wow, what a great subject, this has brought back a load of memories!
VIVA GT is offline  
__________________
Incognito: An Italian phrase meaning Nice Gearchange!
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 07:40 (Ref:4051185)   #39
Gerard C
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
French Polynesia
My place
Posts: 6,507
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After die-cast models an Scalex' tracks my interest went towards static plane models. I started to speak Airfix, Monogram and Humbrol almost fluently (far better that my english!). I took me ages to learn how to properly glue a canopy to a Mosquito, Spit' or Focke Wulf! Waiting for the paint to be dry was not for me…

My favorite model all time all scales together remains the 1/8 Corvette by Monogram. Is it a sheer coincidence that decades later I raced a real one or should I ask my shrink? Strange too, after having raced a Caterham I bought a Lotus Seven… made by Tamiya! Human beings…
Gerard C is offline  
__________________
La verite ne triomphe pas toujours, mais tous ses ennemis finissent par mourir un jour ou l'autre. C'est la vie!
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:00 (Ref:4051222)   #40
Mike_Powell
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 59
Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
After die-cast models an Scalex' tracks my interest went towards static plane models. I started to speak Airfix, Monogram and Humbrol almost fluently (far better that my english!). I took me ages to learn how to properly glue a canopy to a Mosquito, Spit' or Focke Wulf! Waiting for the paint to be dry was not for me…

My favorite model all time all scales together remains the 1/8 Corvette by Monogram. Is it a sheer coincidence that decades later I raced a real one or should I ask my shrink? Strange too, after having raced a Caterham I bought a Lotus Seven… made by Tamiya! Human beings…
So going on that Gerard, please may I have a flight in the Mosquito when you get one !
Mike_Powell is offline  
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4051223)   #41
Gerard C
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
French Polynesia
My place
Posts: 6,507
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Be my guest, Mike! I seem to remember my flying licence was valid for twin-engine aircraft with props. Its no more valid atm and I have to find it first. But where are my glasses… SpecSavers please! What about practicing parachute first?
Gerard C is offline  
__________________
La verite ne triomphe pas toujours, mais tous ses ennemis finissent par mourir un jour ou l'autre. C'est la vie!
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:22 (Ref:4051231)   #42
Lancsbreaker
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Lancsbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
England
Padiham, Lancashire
Posts: 3,410
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I think I too had the HWM, back in the day Can't really remember what happened to all of mine as I became teenaged - probably passed on to younger cousins, or maybe just junked.....mind mine were all well "played with", often repainted, so even had I kept them they wouldn't have been worth much


This thread has prompted me to delve into the loft where I found my box of slot-car bits......photos attached of two chassis - the one with the skew drive motor being a little warped and four bodyshells - the Cortina and Mk3 Zodiac being Airfix, and the Galaxie and (very tatty ) Capri being clear moulded shells. The Capri in particular looks to have had a hard life - arches cut about to clear bigger wheels, and having been at least 3 colours before its current tatty black. The group shot has a rather odd fore-shortening effect - the Galaxie of course is bigger than the others.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210512_120738.jpg   IMG_20210512_120838.jpg  
Lancsbreaker is offline  
__________________
Richard Murtha: Yay! Return to the track achieved....Still old and slow, of course!
Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 22:15 (Ref:4051338)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran
 
chunterer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location:
Down the end of my road
Posts: 14,728
chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
Christ you lot are making even me feel old!
Did you fellas have your own scale racing teams too?

I has a a multi category prep outfit running cars in touring car racing. I was naturally a benefactor of underfunded talents in single seaters though...
chunterer is offline  
Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 07:36 (Ref:4051385)   #44
Belmondo
Racer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 204
Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lancsbreaker, your inline chassis on the left, next to the Cortina shell, was made by a company called RIKO. My brother and I had several. They came as kits with a variety of clear lexan shells.
Belmondo is online now  
Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 07:46 (Ref:4051388)   #45
midgetman
Veteran
 
midgetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
England
Rural Wiltshire
Posts: 6,134
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
>>>>>Waiting for the paint to be dry was not for me…

Me neither, Gerard, me neither. It's the reason the mechanic does not let me anywhere near a kart...



Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
midgetman is offline  
__________________
Midgetman - known as Max Tyler to the world. MaxAttaq!
Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
floor mounted pedal boxes KAM Racing Technology 1 30 Jul 2008 19:02
Aluminium or Stainless Steel for floor? Speedy5 Racing Technology 32 30 Nov 2006 11:51
I'm nailing my socks to the floor... The Beer Baron ChampCar World Series 5 30 Oct 2002 18:19
Fatal Floor? RacerX Racing Technology 16 25 Oct 2002 01:48


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2021 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.