av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya: the car is the key

Quote:
From formula1.com
Michael Schumacher owes his phenomenal success as much to his car as to his driving prowess, according to championship rival Juan Pablo Montoya.
Williams driver Montoya has claimed that Schumacher would never have reached his record-breaking tally of 53 career GP wins had he not usually been in the right car at the right time.

"The car is more important than the driver," Montoya told Ananova. "Just look at Rubens Barrichello. When he was at Jordan he was not getting results but at Ferrari he puts the car on the podium nearly every race.

"If you put Michael in a Toyota, a Minardi or any car that is not a front-runner then he wouldn't win. Michael is the guy that can win the most races, because he is the guy with the best car and he is using it in the right way."

However, Montoya, who drives alongside Schumacher's younger brother Ralf at Williams, also paid tribute to the World Champion's ability to extract the best from a team, and even admitted he planned to emulate the German in this area.

"I think where Michael has done a really good job is getting the whole team behind him, from the engine, chassis people to the Bridgestone tyres," said the Colombian. "Everything they do is around Michael.

"I have got to make sure it's the same for me and that Williams, BMW and Michelin are 100 per cent behind me."
I hope Frank and Patrick read this article and decide that it is now time to build the team around JPM. Ferrari would not touch them and MS would retire after this season.
Old 27 Feb 2002, 14:17 (Ref:223648)   #2
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is not something Sir Frank or Sir Patrick do or listen to that is going to change what Formula Juan is going to do. His hard work and dedication will more likely do the job for him. Having the team 100% behind Formula Juan does not mean they have to build the team around him a la Ferrari. Williams is perfectly capable of being 100% behind both drivers.
Old 27 Feb 2002, 19:41 (Ref:223897)   #3
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
Having the team 100% behind Formula Juan does not mean they have to build the team around him a la Ferrari. Williams is perfectly capable of being 100% behind both drivers.
I just thought that It should be said again. Williams team is focused on the WCC, and that means to get both drivers in podium.
Of course I expect that JPM complete a great season, and If it is possible, the WDC
Old 27 Feb 2002, 20:46 (Ref:223958)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by facco

I just thought that It should be said again. Williams team is focused on the WCC, and that means to get both drivers in podium.
Of course I expect that JPM complete a great season, and If it is possible, the WDC

jpm on the top step and rafe on the second or third every race will be fine by me!!

i honestly don't think that jpm needs no 1 status for the whole season to become wdc.
Old 27 Feb 2002, 22:46 (Ref:224045)   #5
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Montoya: the car is the key

Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl

I hope Frank and Patrick read this article and decide that it is now time to build the team around JPM. Ferrari would not touch them and MS would retire after this season.

and why would MS retire after this season??

7650-wallpaper Yahoo! Groups - F1 Wallpapers for your Nokia phones
Old 27 Feb 2002, 22:50 (Ref:224049)   #6
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
He said only last week that he was prepared to race if he was as quick as the REST. I am sure he wouldn't be real happy if a young upstart like JPM came along and won the WDC in his second year. I assume that when MS said "the REST", he didn't mean Alex Yoong... And I don't dislike MS.
Old 28 Feb 2002, 11:39 (Ref:224317)   #7
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it wasn't for BMW M Power there would be no jpm . At last he admitted it
Old 28 Feb 2002, 11:59 (Ref:224331)   #8
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Did they give him the CART engine??? Did they give him his F3000 engine??? I think NOT. Stop talking BS.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 01:05 (Ref:225550)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
Did they give him the CART engine??? Did they give him his F3000 engine??? I think NOT. Stop talking BS.
fairplay to you av8rirl, i'm the biggest jpm fan in the world, but i do think he's sold himself with the statement he made, no matter how good the car is, the driver has to be good enough to do something with the car in the first place!! just as jpm has proved with the equipment that has been provided to him in the past!
Old 2 Mar 2002, 01:06 (Ref:225552)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

but i do think he's sold himself
sorry too many beers!!! should say "sold himself short!!!!
Old 2 Mar 2002, 03:24 (Ref:225601)   #11
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry, when he starts winning he won't give the car 100% of the credit.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 07:21 (Ref:225670)   #12
Old Hairpin
Racer

Old Hairpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He aint Schuey though. And never will be. Exciting and fast but he isnt in the same class as MS. MS came into F1 less experienced than Juan and did a much better job and has done ever since. JPM needs the car to be to his liking like Mika then he is awesome but MS has driven **** heaps to victories like in 96. Has everyone forgotten 96? Leave it a few years b4 hailing JPM as the new god because he really isnt. Theres no business like Shue business. Word.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 09:56 (Ref:225731)   #13
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Hairpin
He aint Schuey though. And never will be.
Ì don't agree.
I think his first season was very good. During the last races he actually matched Ralf, so I expect them to be even closer this year.
If the young guys (Heidfeld, Raikkonen) don't improve fast enough, we may yet be heading towards a Ralf - Juan aera.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 17:28 (Ref:225969)   #14
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
Ì don't agree.
What...you think Juan has surgery booked to alter his chin?

Of course he won't ever be another Schumi. Just like Schumi isn't Senna, Clark or Fangio.

And I can't ever see a "Ralf" era happening. He just isn't good enough - not in the car, but out of it.

And as for Monty - I don't think he would benefit from unequivocal no.1 status - Ralf's pretty much there to keep him on his toes...
Old 2 Mar 2002, 18:05 (Ref:225998)   #15
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not suprised Juan said this as he has basically stated fact hasn't he. No matter how great your skill, you HAVE to have the car to do the job or you're in the same predicament as JV. Sad....but true.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 01:34 (Ref:226280)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But it's interesting to note that since last year's Japan GP, JPM had quite often talked about this topic.. that he stresses that Michael's achievements is hugely attributed to the car/team support. More than just a couple of times. Although i am aware that this is the current situation in F1 where cars play big roles, I just have this funny feeling that JPM is trying to underline certain points and undermine Michael's capabilities in comparison to his own.

JPM o'boy, we all know what the car/driver situation is...If you would just carry on with your job and stop involving yourself with Michael's affairs.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 01:51 (Ref:226294)   #17
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

JPM o'boy, we all know what the car/driver situation is...If you would just carry on with your job and stop involving yourself with Michael's affairs.
Good point GTR and I hope he doesn't become yet embroiled in a press war like this but treats TGF the same way he deals with Ralfie.

Tags
jpm