Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Apr 2015, 02:35 (Ref:3531673)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2016 F1 season to start in April

The 2016 F1 season is not only to start in April, the first time since Brazil 1988 but it will also be more condensed. The article suggests this may be a way of reducing lengthy gaps in the schedule as well as a way to help reduce costs for teams.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118705
Old 29 Apr 2015, 03:43 (Ref:3531678)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Errrrm, always liked March as a start. Christmas and New Year being done, it was nice to have something to look forward to. You got your testing underway nice and early, as well as the launches, and it kept everything flowing.

Shame to hear this, but I won't miss the big 3-4 week gaps, I guess.

Selby
Old 29 Apr 2015, 06:55 (Ref:3531696)   #3
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently the FIA have done this in response to complaints to the current calendar. Seems a lot of people (as in practically everyone) who the FIA listen to are the sorts who complain and complain without any care. Why the FIA listen is beyond me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 07:43 (Ref:3531704)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked the Jan1 starts is south africa myself-gave us something to watch in cold winter here?
Old 29 Apr 2015, 08:18 (Ref:3531714)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Joe Saward has been speculating on the real reason for the move to an April start. For example April is Aussie rules time in Melbourne. It could be to do with compressing the calender in order to get the teams to agree to more races.
It could also be a way of holding onto the payments to the teams for a longer peroid as these are based on the races that teams participate in.

You never know what is going on in Bernie's fertile mind to get another few bob in.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/dates/
Old 29 Apr 2015, 08:53 (Ref:3531722)   #6
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly risky moving it further towards Winter in the changeable Melbourne conditions, but it sounds like they are moving the race earlier in the day to account for this, so not too big an issue. It is a strange move though, considering how adamant Bernie used to be about making sure the race aired at a suitable European time, and now allowing it to be moved even earlier. I know his is because of Suzuka, but I would have thought Bernie would go the opposite way and bring Melbourne forward into Summer more to allow more daylight hours and subsequently a later race.

Is Bernie making room for another race to open in 2017?
Old 29 Apr 2015, 09:47 (Ref:3531732)   #7
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Apparently the FIA have done this in response to complaints to the current calendar. Seems a lot of people (as in practically everyone) who the FIA listen to are the sorts who complain and complain without any care. Why the FIA listen is beyond me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Except it isn't the FIA; it's FOM that has decided on the changes. I just hope that BCE isn't going to attempt to do away with the August break, because that is the only time that the travelling team members are able to spend any quality time with their families pretty well during the whole season.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3531832)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't mind too much. I'm always wrongfooted about the hour back, getting my start times confused with these early morning races. That, at least, won't happen now.

It is very late though. January to March is kinda manageable but startin' in April is a loooong time. It's on the verge of summer on this side of the planet and that's a wait.

Yeah, they should do a New Years race and then put the next race until April.

Howa 'bout that?

Of course, I'm sure Eccelstone is up to some scheme with all this.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 16:45 (Ref:3531846)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Shame to hear this, but I won't miss the big 3-4 week gaps, I guess.

Selby
i will likely be the odd duck on this one but i like the breaks particularly the summer break.

already i think there are too many races and if they move to 20plus races all on back to back weekends then i will be less inclined to watch. mainly time zone related but i only have so many 6am Sundays wake ups in me to begin with so best to stagger them around imo.

im sure they dont care but i think if they condense the season while adding races they risk destroying the uniqueness of an GP weekend. perhaps they already have but imo making an event more common is not a solution to falling tv numbers.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 21:56 (Ref:3531973)   #10
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
A gap between January and April is something I find conspicuous whereas I don't notice the August break as the motorsport season is quite congested at that point and there's lots of great series to watch.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 02:27 (Ref:3532029)   #11
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2016 Calendar leaked ?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sp...-1227328202950
Old 30 Apr 2015, 02:34 (Ref:3532030)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
What leak?
Old 30 Apr 2015, 07:02 (Ref:3532068)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't mind too much. I'm always wrongfooted about the hour back, getting my start times confused with these early morning races. That, at least, won't happen now.

It is very late though. January to March is kinda manageable but startin' in April is a loooong time. It's on the verge of summer on this side of the planet and that's a wait.

Yeah, they should do a New Years race and then put the next race until April.

Howa 'bout that?

Of course, I'm sure Eccelstone is up to some scheme with all this.
It would be a good move for Melbourne, Autumn has the best and most settled weather.

With such a long break, perhaps somebody will help us out and arrange a winter series in the southern hemisphere!

Tasman Series anyone? Formula Libre, 8 races say $50m prize money!

That will get their attention!
Old 5 May 2015, 23:08 (Ref:3534548)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Actually, this could bring more F1 drivers into Formula E.
Old 5 May 2015, 23:51 (Ref:3534558)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
It would be a good move for Melbourne, Autumn has the best and most settled weather.

With such a long break, perhaps somebody will help us out and arrange a winter series in the southern hemisphere!

Tasman Series anyone? Formula Libre, 8 races say $50m prize money!

That will get their attention!
'
TransTasman F4 seems to be the current thinking...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 May 2015, 06:24 (Ref:3534611)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
am i the only one who thinks this is a good move? it gives the teams more time to build their cars and brings f1 into line with the majority of other european based series that also start in april at some point.

anyone concerned at the length of the off season should remember that most other series have a 6 months long winter break (aside from testing)
Old 6 May 2015, 06:52 (Ref:3534617)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
am i the only one who thinks this is a good move? it gives the teams more time to build their cars and brings f1 into line with the majority of other european based series that also start in april at some point.

anyone concerned at the length of the off season should remember that most other series have a 6 months long winter break (aside from testing)
I think April is awesome to start F1... the only thing about scheduling is that most race teams seem to know the start date and work backwards, meaning they probably have the same time as before, as they choose to start later...

The Go/No Go points still exist, its just that they may fall on the last week of March now, not the last week of February...

A cynic might suggest the late start is to ensure that HaasF1 arrives with a proper bang too..

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods