Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Nov 2019, 19:00 (Ref:3940001)   #1
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'Le Mans 66' (aka 'Ford v Ferrari'), Who's Going?, What Did You Think....?

It's on my agenda for a long time but due to circumstances I have to wait probably to next week.
Can't wait though, looking forward to read what you think.
https://youtu.be/4aY0dW3hpRc
Old 11 Nov 2019, 21:18 (Ref:3940033)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Helen and Paul went to see it last week and said it was really good, but as i am not going until the 18th i insisted they did not tell me too much. seems strange that i meet Carroll Shelby at le mans many years ago and chatted to him while he signed some posters for his heart charity, still have mine somewhere.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3940042)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well I’ve seen the trailer for it, I think there is a fair chance I will go
Old 12 Nov 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3940215)   #4
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really recommend it, really good acting and it engages you in the story well. Plus the cars look pretty good too
Old 13 Nov 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3940387)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hear Matt Damon and Christian Bale were on BBC Breakfast this morning
Old 13 Nov 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3940389)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
same clips pf the film and a few minutes of chatting but nothing much of interest.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3940442)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
same clips pf the film and a few minutes of chatting but nothing much of interest.
I did hear the presenter person state that the film was about the ‘true story’......

Mmm, we’ll see!
Old 13 Nov 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3940461)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well Hollywood likes true stories but has a habit of embellishing a little, still it will be good to see how true to real life it is when i go to see it next week
Old 13 Nov 2019, 21:55 (Ref:3940485)   #9
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Done yesterday evening! I loved it . Don't know if it is really so close to the reality but the movie is well done. As a local I'd like to see more real local scenes even if I must admit that "their circuit" looks like the real one. Lot of rythm, I went with my wife and she loved it, didn't annoy. That made me think "Roll on July to see these race beasts"!!!!!!!!
Old 14 Nov 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3940528)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
That’s good, thanks for the comments! I’m planning an IMAX viewing trip after reading Autosport’s review this week. They reckon the engine noise is worth the extra! The mag has also got an 8 page feature on the true ‘road’ to the 1966 race, which I found worth reading.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3940550)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

Yeah, I saw that too. Was quite a good piece, as was the review later in the magazine. Certainly will be worth seeing
Old 16 Nov 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3940949)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Off to see it with the boys and Lauren tonight.
Old 16 Nov 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3940950)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Off to see it with the boys and Lauren tonight.
enjoy
Old 16 Nov 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3940959)   #14
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
I'll be off to see it tonight! Very much looking forward to it. The general public seem to be raving about it left and right so that is exciting!
Old 16 Nov 2019, 19:22 (Ref:3940962)   #15
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
The general public seem to be raving about it left and right so that is exciting!
So how can the sport harness that and encourage people to go to watch real racing?
Old 16 Nov 2019, 23:51 (Ref:3941010)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

Well this movie can’t do any harm in attracting new people to the start
Old 17 Nov 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3941051)   #17
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Ford VS Ferrari 🔥🔥

just watched this movie. How good was it. Not really into car movies (except earlier Fast and Furious) But this was decent.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3941055)   #18
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Not a bad watch. The usual Hollywood style of a driver gritting his teeth, changing gear and/or pushing the throttle down further to overtake really annoys me.

Also, wonder why the pretended Miles didn’t race LM in 1965, when he did.

Though I can understand for simplicity they pretty much made it look like drivers went solo for 24 hours!
Old 17 Nov 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3941064)   #19
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I definitely enjoyed this one. Very strong central performances. Racing scenes were very impressive and I thought they did a nice job of re-creating that pit area and ambience. I think it's enjoyable enough for a mass audience. Will be very interested to see how much cut-through it has come the Oscars.

I've begrudgingly accepted the racing cliches in movies - sideways glances, pulling an extra gear etc. The racing situations are quite contrived. But yeah, the '65 omission is a tough one to take.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3941066)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't wish to spoil it for anyone who hasn't yet seen it but I saw it last night - and I loved it. Yes, omitting a year was a bit strange but we have to remember that the film wasn't necessarily made for diehard petrolheads and Le Mans fanatics. As a piece of entertainment it succeeded for me on all levels.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3941113)   #21
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I saw it yesterday with my wife and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. I was skeptical going in as I had read an interview with either Bale or Damon (can't remember which) that said that neither of them were car guys. Was also worried about inaccuracies (not so much historical, but geographical) but then actually had fun spotting the shots of Road Atlanta subbing in for La Sarthe. Every time the Dunlop bridge was shown that was actually the bridge past turn 7 at Road Atlanta and the cars were traveling the opposite direction. Figure the Mulsanne Straight must have also been some highway in Georgia.

I appreciated that they did an excellent job conveying the mystique of Le Mans and what makes it special, they showed respect for the hallowed grounds. Not ashamed to admit that when Bale is explaining to Damon the difficulty of winning Le Mans and the passion required that I had a single tear stream down my cheek, that part got me, from then on I was enthralled.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3941124)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just back, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, historically inaccurate, but as entertainment, excellent.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 00:38 (Ref:3941285)   #23
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was I seeing things or was part of the filming done at Road Atlanta but in reverse?

Indianapolis on one shot looked a lot like turn 6 or 7 but in reverse.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 01:25 (Ref:3941289)   #24
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Watched it last night and overall I liked it very much! There were a number of big eye-roll moments for me like that Californ....err, Daytona 24 battle to the finish with the Holman & Moody sister car, and the silly "evil Italian" side glances from that one Ferrari driver during the LM24 whilst doing 200+ down the straights. As mentioned here so many times in this thread, the "extra gear" cliches were tiresome and many throughout the film, but like some, I've just come to accept it when dealing with the mainstream. There were a few other niggly wiggly things here and there but ultimately those didn't detract from my viewing experience quite as much as the aforementioned.

Great exposure for motorsport and Le Mans history put out for the general/ignorant public to see. Overall, I enjoyed the film very much and would certainly watch it again!
Old 18 Nov 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3941338)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England

If it encourages a few people to get out to Le Mans next year, then that has to be a good thing. I need no encouragement, of course......