Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Jan 2004, 20:03 (Ref:833750)   #1
Megatron
Rookie

Megatron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your opinion on the R&S DP

After some fairly decent looking DPs like the Crawford and the Chase, the R&S isn't the most attractive DP around. Yet, the R&S MKIII wasn not the greatest astectic machine ever.

The roof appears odd (even for a DP) and the nose speaks MKIIIC. The way the ducting is on the top[ of the nose is somewhat remanisant of the MKIII.

OVerall, I don't think its the worst...but its not the most interesting. Yet it appears to be fast. Your opinion?
Old 10 Jan 2004, 20:45 (Ref:833784)   #2
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
It looks very odd indeed, the greenhouse looks completely out of proportion which gives it an ungainly stance - BTW it isn't an R&S, just a Riley.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 00:13 (Ref:833936)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to Scott?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 01:03 (Ref:833955)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
It looks vile !!!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 01:31 (Ref:833977)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 11 Jan 2004, 03:38 (Ref:834031)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it looks like it was drawn in the dark.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 05:16 (Ref:834049)   #7
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont like the look either, but I am not going to pass judgement on it until I see it on track.

I must say the Black Suntrust car looks much better than the White Gannasi car!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 05:24 (Ref:834051)   #8
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the design of the car as a solution to making it go fast given the design constraints, I actually like it in that it's unique amongst the DPs and it seems to be working; a Riley did put in the third fastest time at the test days. I believe they drew it to be fast, and I can appreciate that in a race car, even if I don't think it's a work of art in a larger sense.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 09:41 (Ref:834138)   #9
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it's a "Riley"(?), which means it should have some serious downforce. I still hoping Mike would let us in on what these cars do aerodynamically.

I think the thing looks like a tugboat. Those Celica lights on the CGR male the thing look disgusting. I haven't seen a whole bunch of angles of the car, and the Doran did grow on me. I think the Mk III was very plain to look at, but it certainly met it's purpose.

OK, correct me if I'm wrong about the Taylor car. It has the GTO engine and headlights, right? The GTO is pretty much a Holden Menaro (Commodore?) with Pontiac logos, no?

Last edited by Chevyguy; 11 Jan 2004 at 09:45.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:12 (Ref:834320)   #10
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it is, but of course with the buttugly pontiac grille.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 15:39 (Ref:834401)   #11
Danske
Veteran

Taylor car as in SunTrust Riley DP? The engine is the GM LS6. Don't know about the headlights.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 15:50 (Ref:834410)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
How about a good looking pram (stroller) !!! DP = Daytona Pram !!! Its going to be lawnmowers next

Last edited by The Badger; 11 Jan 2004 at 15:55.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 22:27 (Ref:834725)   #13
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
danske, I'm sure you know, but just to state, the LS6 is the Vette engine. The Suntrust/Taylor car carries Pontiac emblems. billnchristy and I say it's from the GTO, which by your statement, means the Holden Menaro utilizes a Corvette engine. Have I been ignorant to a Chevy engine winning Bathurst 24?

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 11 Jan 2004, 23:56 (Ref:834819)   #14
Danske
Veteran

Right, the LS6 is the Vette engine, the Taylor car carries Pontiac emblems, and the engine in the car is an LS6. It's a quirk of the DP rules that the LS6 can be branded as a Chevy, Cadillac, or Pontiac. Sorry, guess I should have said that outright. Despite the Pontiac logos on the car, the engine is in fact the LS6. I didn't mean to imply anything about the GTO's engine.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 00:34 (Ref:834845)   #15
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
The Riley isn't terrible. Yea, the greenhouse is outsized and oddly shaped at the back. Taylor's looks better then the CHR version, just because the livery is much more attractive. Perhaps it doesn't look bad when in company with a Multimatic...which has no good angles.

The Doran is still the best looking one, I think.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 12:47 (Ref:839169)   #16
The Treester
Racer

The Treester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R&S butt ugly, my opinion, Doran and Multi are the lesser of the evils!

The DP's up close has different looks at different angles, nice in the front but ugly from the side but good as an iso.... it's weird!

:confused:

Last edited by The Treester; 15 Jan 2004 at 12:53.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 13:34 (Ref:839227)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Greenhouse size, etc., is due to the Grand Am regs...all of them have to deal with that....

I would suspect that the specific shape of the R&S greenhouse is due entirely to something they learned in te wind tunnel, and it has to help the car in some way, shape or form (no pun intended)....

Gotta admit...it was quick right out of the box....

When it comes to aero design, personally, I would never question Bob and Bill Riley....others might, but I wouldn't...

I feel that they are among the very best in the business...and their results in the past prove it...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:37 (Ref:839273)   #18
The Treester
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Gotta admit...it was quick right out of the box....

When it comes to aero design, personally, I would never question Bob and Bill Riley....others might, but I wouldn't...

I feel that they are among the very best in the business...and their results in the past prove it...
I concur, but driver line-up and set-up also makes a difference!

Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:53 (Ref:839287)   #19
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
danske, I'm sure you know, but just to state, the LS6 is the Vette engine. The Suntrust/Taylor car carries Pontiac emblems. billnchristy and I say it's from the GTO, which by your statement, means the Holden Menaro utilizes a Corvette engine. Have I been ignorant to a Chevy engine winning Bathurst 24?
The holden monaro/pontiac gto is powered by the same LS1/T56 combo that was in the Camaro/firebird as well as in the base model corvettes. The LS6 is a derivative of the LS1 with better flowing heads, and revised intake and cam profiles. Robert
Old 15 Jan 2004, 16:42 (Ref:839391)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Absolutely true, Treester!!!!

Strong pilots will get everything possible out of a car's potential, plus their insight and feel for set-ups becomes invaluable....especially if they have rapport with their guys in the pits who will tweak the chassis per their input.

Put a quality car with great drivers and and experienced tech personnel you become a team to beat...

(sorry for stating the obvious....but but R&S cars are well stocked in all of these areas...)

Old 15 Jan 2004, 17:36 (Ref:839438)   #21
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this Riley your vehicle to drive down to the Classic in July ?

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 15 Jan 2004, 17:56 (Ref:839450)   #22
The Treester
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt

Put a quality car with great drivers and and experienced tech personnel you become a team to beat...
CGR, Da Chipper, is trying to make a statement, wha cha thank?

Old 15 Jan 2004, 18:38 (Ref:839477)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I thank he'll make a very strong statement, indeed....

Mr. Ganassi knows how to race...

Old 16 Jan 2004, 00:19 (Ref:839817)   #24
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Mr. Ganassi wouldn't bother with Grand Am unless he thought he was going to make a 'strong statement.'
Old 16 Jan 2004, 00:22 (Ref:839820)   #25
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ugly, ugly, ugly, like all Daytona Prototypes.

And why just a Riley? Like the man said, what happened to Scott?