Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 25 Feb 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1236170)   #1
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
dale jarrett's pole time...

did dale jarrett set a lap time (if so, what time was it) or did he get the daytona pole from winning one of those 150 races
Old 26 Feb 2005, 01:10 (Ref:1236298)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
no the gatorade duels were won by Tony Stewart and michael Waltrip I believe so I'd say it was a qualifying run that got jarrett the pole , not that it did him any good in the race
Old 26 Feb 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1236316)   #3
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, spot on Marcus.

The way qualifying for the 500 works (or at least 'worked', I'm not sure how the new top-35 ruling effected this) is they firstly run the usual one-run, two-lap qualifying session and this sets the front row of the grid (fastest and second fastest qualifier) and the starting order for the Gatorade races (odd-numbered qualifiers in one race, evens in the other, starting in the order they finished qualifying). The finishing order of the two races sets the next 9 or 10 rows of the grid, and the rest of the field is made up out of the remaining cars based on the qualifying speeds and provisionals. There's probably a better explanation at somewhere like nascar.com or jayski.com, but that's basically how it works.

The one thing I've always found interesting is that the front-row qualifiers have to do the qualifying races. They have to race the car they qualify and if they destroy it and have to switch to the backup for the 500, they still have to move to the back of the grid. I think this happened to Ken Schrader in 1990.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1236530)   #4
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I just don't get this kind of qualifying system, why can't they just wualify like everybody else???
Old 28 Feb 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1237761)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think it was run differently this year because i havent seen anywhere that dale jarrett did a 48.000 or whatever lap time
Old 1 Mar 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1239388)   #6
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
i think it was run differently this year because i havent seen anywhere that dale jarrett did a 48.000 or whatever lap time
William Dale Jr's comment is correct. Jarrett won the pole in a traditional qualifying session. The top two qualifiers are locked on the starting grid but the rest of the field is determined in the two 150 mile races (which used be 125 mile races and called the Twin 125s). This is the only Nextel Cup race that is done like this.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1243308)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
i am still confused joe fan, when you say traditional qualifying session - i am thinking that he set a 1 lap qualifying time .... did dj do that?
Old 5 Mar 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1243462)   #8
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
i am still confused joe fan, when you say traditional qualifying session - i am thinking that he set a 1 lap qualifying time .... did dj do that?
Yes, pole and 2nd are determined by a two-lap one-run session.