Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 May 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2207598)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 2008 Round 6 - Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo (22/05/08-25/05/08)

Sorry for being pre-emptive, no-one else has posted one yet, Monaco is a bit special - not only due to free practice on Thursday.

This year has seen little change in the relative strengths of the cars, with the only change in winning constructer being Malaysia, arguably due to Hamilton's 20 second pit stop. This is possibly due to the rule shake-up coming up for 2009, and the reintroduction of slicks, less downforce and KERS.

This is where, if things pan out similar, we could see a strong McLaren performance. In the Australian Grand Prix (the only non-permenant track so far this year) we saw problems with the Ferraris - struggling to score a point. Last year we saw a whole minute of daylight between the McLarens and the first of the Ferraris. Will we see a repeat performance that will give McLaren the initiative again, or will Ferrari take over what was McLaren's strong point, temporary circuits? Monaco is not only a historic race, this year it could be an indicator of things to come. And what about the BMWs? Could they spring a surprise?

Sebastien Vettel will come in to the race with a five place gearbox penalty. Also, Giancarlo Fisichella is on target for his 200th Grand Prix start.

Also, at time of writing, the meteorologists are suggesting a wet race could happen. We haven't had a wet race so far this year. Will the lack of traction control and the wet stuff catch a few drivers napping and into the armco? If they do, Bernd Maylander might be a bit busy ...

Drivers standings

DriverTeamNationalityPoints
Kimi RaikkonenFerrariFinland35
Felipe MassaFerrariBrazil28 (2 wins)
Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-MercedesBritain28 (1 win)
Robert KubicaBMW-SauberPoland24
Nick HeidfeldBMW-SauberGermany20
Heikki KovalainenMcLaren-MercedesFinland14
Mark WebberRed Bull-RenaultAustralia10
Fernando AlonsoRenaultSpain9*
Jarno TrulliToyotaItaly9*
Nico RosbergWilliams-ToyotaGermany8
Kazuki NakajimaWilliams-ToyotaJapan5
Jenson ButtonHondaBritain3
Sebastien BourdaisSTR-FerrariFrance2

* Alonso and Trulli are both tied exactly on nine points - a 4th, a 6th, an 8th, a 10th and a DNF

Constructors standings
 TeamPoints
Ferrari63
BMW-Sauber44
McLaren-Mercedes42
Williams-Toyota13
Red Bull-Renault10
Toyota9*
Renault9*
Toro Rosso-Ferrari2

Toyota lead due to Timo Glock's 9th in Bahrain

Car graphics by www.andyblackmoredesign.com.

Monaco GP: recent results
Year1st place2nd place3rd place
2007Fernando AlonsoKimi RaikkonenFernando Alonso
2006Fernando AlonsoJuan Pablo MontoyaDavid Coulthard
2005Kimi RaikkonenNick HeidfeldMark Webber

DriverLaptime
2007 fastest lapFernando Alonso1:15.284
2007 pole positionFelipe Massa1:15.726
Lap recordMichael Schumacher1:14.439 (set in 2004)

Monaco winners - pre F1 era

Decade0123456789
1920sn/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/an/aW Grover-Williams
1930sR DreyfusL ChironT NuvolariA VarziG MollL FagioliR CaracciolaM v BrauchitschNot heldNot held
1940sNot heldNot heldNot heldNot heldNot heldNot heldNot heldNot heldG FarinaNot held

Monaco winners - F1 era

Decade0123456789
1950sJM FangioNot heldV MarzottoNot heldNot heldM TrintignantS MossJM FangioM TrinignantJ Brabham
1960sS MossS MossB McLarenG HillG HillG HillJ StewartD HulmeG HillG Hill
1970sJ RindtJ StewartJP BeltoiseJ StewartR PetersonN LaudaN LaudaJ ScheckterP DepaillierJ Scheckter
1980sC ReutemannG VilleneuveR PatreseK RosbergA ProstA ProstA ProstA SennaA ProstA Senna
1990sA SennaA SennaA SennaA SennaM SchumacherM SchumacherO PanisM SchumacherM HakkinenM Schumacher
2000sD CoulthardM SchumacherD CoulthardJP MontoyaJ TrulliK RaikkonenF AlonsoF Alonso????? 

The 1952 Monaco Grand Prix was a sportscar race.

Circuit stuff
Track map
Timetable
Event artwork
Weather forecast

Forum links
Chat
Predictions competition
Fantasy competition

Yes, the winners list and weather forecasts were added by me. Sorry if you find it a bit big, but if you want to put it in future GP threads feel free to.
Old 20 May 2008, 18:48 (Ref:2207659)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Shouldn't this thread be a 'sticky' at the top somewhere!

Weather forecast looks good...or bad,depending on your point of view.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=4648

Webcam that focuses around the bay area.You can keep an eye on the weather in 'real-time' as well.

http://notari.tv/

Don't forget that free practice is on Thursday!

Last edited by Marbot; 20 May 2008 at 18:51.
Old 20 May 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2207663)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Shouldn't this thread be a 'sticky' at the top somewhere!
I'd be grateful if a moderator could do so, as us mere mortals cannot :P
Old 20 May 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2207677)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice job.Thanks for the intro Duke!
Old 20 May 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2207692)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice one.

Give me a chance.
Old 20 May 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2207748)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I always look forward to Monaco, for the spectacle more than the racing, it's fair to say.

However, if it rains during qualifying and the race, I might just wet myself.
Old 20 May 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2207762)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Rain. I want rain.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 20 May 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2207776)   #8
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Shuddup re the rain; Im going for 7 days. With a limited knowledge of Monaco F1, isnt it the shorter wheelbase cars that run supreme round Monaco? IE Williams?
Old 20 May 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2207822)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta
Shuddup re the rain; Im going for 7 days.
Sorry, but if it's a choice between you getting good weather for your holiday and the rest of us getting to watch a decent race, I know which I'd rather have.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 20 May 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2207829)   #10
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
On a yacht? No contest..
Old 20 May 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2207870)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Some interesting Monaco vids from years gone by.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/05/1...onaco-onboard/
Old 21 May 2008, 01:14 (Ref:2207912)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's also worth watching Trulli's pole lap from 2004. Astonishingly fast
Old 21 May 2008, 02:26 (Ref:2207935)   #13
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Raikkonen says Ferrari have taken a major step forward on the slow, twisty tracks so im not expecting a repeat of last year.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67586
Old 21 May 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2208171)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It may be obvious to say but McLaren really need to nail a win ASAP. They appear to the media to have been content with their pace recently and satisfied that they "could have" won some of the recent races "if only" they'd done such and such, but for the championship's sake they must start accumulating wins.

They really ought to have won at least one championship in the last nine years given that they've been there or thereabouts most of that time. Nine years- blimey, has it really been that long?
Old 21 May 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2208269)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks duke_toaster ! Looks like you've been faster than anyone else.
Old 21 May 2008, 16:18 (Ref:2208412)   #16
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Weather link I have posted claims 100% chance of rain, with 14mm predicted!

EDIT : That's over half an inch for the luddites.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 21 May 2008 at 16:20.
Old 21 May 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2208504)   #17
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Woaaaah blimey... this will be interesting/or not depending on how long is behind the SC!

Selby
Old 21 May 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2208508)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Thanks duke_toaster ! Looks like you've been faster than anyone else.
News just in!: duke_toaster linked to Renault drive!!!!
Old 21 May 2008, 23:26 (Ref:2208688)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Honda are going all out in their efforts to get the 'Weirdest wings award'.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge...008&catID=3075
Old 21 May 2008, 23:55 (Ref:2208696)   #20
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to nitpick, but how did Alonso come 1st and 3rd in last years GP?

Ferrari's got a shorter wheelbase this year, to combat their weakness at slow tracks, I think it will be a close race

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 22 May 2008, 00:11 (Ref:2208702)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
Honda are going all out in their efforts to get the 'Weirdest wings award'.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge...008&catID=3075
It's only missing a tail and the feathers...
Old 22 May 2008, 00:19 (Ref:2208705)   #22
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2008 Honda, looks like a dog, walks like a dog...

go figure!

Last edited by Notso Swift; 22 May 2008 at 00:25.
Old 22 May 2008, 01:34 (Ref:2208729)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
It's only missing a tail and the feathers...

That is the secret ingredient that we will see on Sunday....The car will fly around Monaco barking at the crowd.....

You are a very funny person Bon...
Old 22 May 2008, 09:32 (Ref:2208889)   #24
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody has a link to the ITV stream for non-UK residents?

Thanks!
Old 22 May 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2208892)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope, not allowed to show it outside the UK.