Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3448809)   #1
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Red Bull to build their own engines?

I know that was talked about at length some time ago, but Adam Coopers blog is showing a recent Autosport advert where Red Bull appear to be advertising for engine people!
Christian Horner says that bit's not so they can build their own engines (well, he would wouldn't he?) but to help Renault develop the engines they are using as partners, but surely, that would also benefit Red Bull's competitors too which they wouldn't want?
The Adam Cooper article can be found here: http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/08/28/r...orner-insists/
Old 29 Aug 2014, 11:48 (Ref:3448817)   #2
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I heard somewhere that the plan was for the ICE development to continue in France and all the other power unit stuff to be developed in the UK.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3448866)   #3
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I know that was talked about at length some time ago, but Adam Coopers blog is showing a recent Autosport advert where Red Bull appear to be advertising for engine people!
Christian Horner says that bit's not so they can build their own engines (well, he would wouldn't he?) but to help Renault develop the engines they are using as partners, but surely, that would also benefit Red Bull's competitors too which they wouldn't want?
The Adam Cooper article can be found here: http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/08/28/r...orner-insists/
I think the plan is to make the engine RB centred. Lotus will go to Mercedes Benz when McLaren go to Honda so for them 2015 or 2016 depending on contracts / money. Caterham use an RBR gearbox etc so they are in the RB engineering fold. This way Red Bull have an engineering team working specifically for their interests, just as Ferrari and Mercedes do, and next year Honda will do for McLaren.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 09:03 (Ref:3449021)   #4
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its perfectly normal for teams to have in-house engine simulation engineers that perform this role on behalf of the team, I know someone who does this for McLaren, and to be fair the advert says "for our power unit".......it does not say "for our OWN power unit".........really I think its only a matter of time before Honda announce the second team they will supply will be RedBull in 2016, the Honda-UK F1 support unit is being built in MiltonKeynes, the same town that RedBull are located in.......I think its only a matter of time, yes they will have to part company with their Infiniti sponsorship, but I think money is not an issue for RedBull, they just want a top works engine, which the Renault never has been for many years now..........RedBull-Honda, sounds ok to me.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 09:07 (Ref:3449023)   #5
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely McLaren will veto Red Bull using Honda engines - just look at how Red Bull froze out Lotus for Renault power. McLaren will not have the same thing happen to them and lose their grip on a works engine deal.

The fact that Red Bull and Honda are both based in Milton Keynes means nothing.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3449043)   #6
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Surely McLaren will veto Red Bull using Honda engines - just look at how Red Bull froze out Lotus for Renault power. McLaren will not have the same thing happen to them and lose their grip on a works engine deal.

The fact that Red Bull and Honda are both based in Milton Keynes means nothing.
What?! Lotus is/was Renault!

&

McLaren prevented RBR getting Mercedes engines!
Old 30 Aug 2014, 12:55 (Ref:3449064)   #7
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
What?! Lotus is/was Renault!
Yes, Lotus was Renault. They are Lotus now.

From 2015 they will be using Merc power. This was apparently due to RBR feeling that Lotus was getting in the way of development.
Old 1 Sep 2014, 15:07 (Ref:3449502)   #8
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RedBull Honda......I can see this happening........McLaren exclusivity for one year only, they want the engine to win as much as possible.......seems a no-brainer for me, finally RedBull would be allowed to buy a top engine, and I think any resistance by McLaren will not be tolerated by Honda

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115657

Old 1 Sep 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3449566)   #9
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
RedBull Honda......I can see this happening........McLaren exclusivity for one year only, they want the engine to win as much as possible.......seems a no-brainer for me, finally RedBull would be allowed to buy a top engine, and I think any resistance by McLaren will not be tolerated by Honda

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115657

Can't see that happening in the short term, too many roosters in the coop.

A midfield team or two yes as they could act as back up when the top team has problems, help develop drivers and hopefully take constructors points off your main rivals. If RB and Macca had the sme engine it would be like the Mercedes drivers now only whole teams fighting.
Old 2 Sep 2014, 15:43 (Ref:3449743)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
agreed.

also i would think that Mclaren and Honda would be looking to sell related parts bundled with the engine similar to what Mclaren did in the past with Merc.

cant see RB looking for that kind of partnership. that would be like a step backwards for them.