Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Feb 2020, 11:31 (Ref:3955847)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Road Tyres for race cars

Any recommendations ? I'm sure we had this conversation about 10 yers ago!

both cars are 13" wheels 5- 5 1/2 J wheels, road Cortinas are usually happiest on 175/70's

I don't use the cars on the road very much at all, but Dunlops are not only illegal but horrible! The Cortina is virtually un-driveable.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 13:02 (Ref:3955871)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Has to be Avon ZZ (which are 70% profile) if you want to keep as close to period looking as possible. There are older Pirelli and Michelin tyres being made again now, but no idea if cheaper or more expensive.....
Old 5 Feb 2020, 13:31 (Ref:3955881)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
That was my thought, from previous (vague) recollection. Don't people use them for the 6hr? presumably they don't upset handling too much compared to M's ? although TBH the roads are so bad its more a question of keeping it on the road and not hitting anything!
Old 5 Feb 2020, 15:45 (Ref:3955901)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
That was my thought, from previous (vague) recollection. Don't people use them for the 6hr? presumably they don't upset handling too much compared to M's ? although TBH the roads are so bad its more a question of keeping it on the road and not hitting anything!
Yes, default tyre for 6hr and also Peter Auto. Being radial much more compliant and far better it the wet than Ls. Road legal as well. Penalty is that they are quite a bit heavier than said Dunlop cross plies.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 17:25 (Ref:3955936)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, default tyre for 6hr and also Peter Auto. Being radial much more compliant and far better it the wet than Ls. Road legal as well. Penalty is that they are quite a bit heavier than said Dunlop cross plies.
They last a lot longer too.

Never knew you could use them for PA events.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 17:34 (Ref:3955938)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
They last a lot longer too.

Never knew you could use them for PA events.
You can use Dunlop’s but most grids that are of the correct period (like 60s Endurance) use Avons.
Old 6 Feb 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3956066)   #7
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
As Mike says Avon ZZ is a good choice, predictable and acceptable in case of rain.
Good value for money even tho rather expensive and doesn't need much negative camber. If its really a matter of budget you could test a set of ZT5.
Old 4 Mar 2020, 08:14 (Ref:3961422)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ZZ were originally the tyre for Historic Road Rallying, thats why they are so good. I first got the opportunity to use them here in totally crap conditions. Did my three qualifying laps on Dunlops, came in, handed over to Tony Dickenson. Tony did an out lap on the GPcircuit and came in saying he wasnt going any further on deathtrap tyres. Fortunately, one of our German clients had a spare set of wheels and tyres, se the Terry, they are new. So I did a couple of GP laps just to try them. Was gob smacked at the grip available. You could bring the car back from 45degrees.I bought a set when we got back from
A very successful r
Ace. 😁
Old 4 Mar 2020, 08:33 (Ref:3961427)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
It's good to hear, and I've heard lots of good reports about them, reality however says one won't drive like that on the road ;-)

@ £750 a set its a bit of over kill . .. .although the dunlop slipwell nevergrips are the same price for a fraction of the grip!
Old 4 Mar 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3961485)   #10
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Blockley tyres have just introduced a tyre that would suit. I am sure I saw a set second hand this week (on Facebook marketplace maybe) there they hadnt fitted under the wheel arch on some car or another.

Might be an option
Old 4 Mar 2020, 11:22 (Ref:3961491)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The adva stage of ZZs is that you can use them on the road. So if you want to run a gearbox or something in, slap them on and Bob is, as they say, your Mum's brother.