Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2004, 06:08 (Ref:907899)   #1
bahraini spirit
Rookie

bahraini spirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams cars to lap Bahrain track

hi. well before i post the article i'd just like to note that a gesture from the bahraini crown prince will give the chance for 7500 students to watch the f1 in a special stand. the Southern Governorate, where the circuit is located at, has the least municipal income from all five governorates.

"The upcoming projects from privatising the Bapco Beach, building the Iceberg Tower project at Al Jazair Beach in addition to renovations to the existing beach and the opening of new hotels will certainly move the governorate up the ranks to make it the second best governorate in generating income after the Capital Governorate soon," he said.

"The governorate may also top the ranks in 10 years time."

75pc of the space at the circuit has already been sold throughout 40 countries.

Moving on to the article:

THE Bahrain International Circuit will get its first glimpse of a Formula One car today after the world's newest track is unveiled in truly royal style.The track will be inaugurated by His Majesty King Hamad in presence of the Crown Prince and the President of the Supreme Council for Youth and Sports Shaikh Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa and other royal family members, ministry officials, diplomatic corps and Formula One bosses.

Bahrain will be hosting the third-leg of the Formula One race on April 4 following races in Australia and Malaysia.

To mark the occasion, the BIC have lined up a series of spectacularly colourful events beginning at 3pm.

Three Grand Prix cars, representing 50 years of the world championship, will be driven at high speed for the first time on the 5.411-km track.

Two of the Grand Prix cars are from the Williams Formula One team - the 2003 Williams FW25 and the ubiquitous Saudia-sponsored Williams FW07.

The latter car was raced in the 1981 and 1982 seasons by world champion Alan Jones and Argentine Carlos Reutemann while current Williams test driver Marc Gene will drive the 2003 car.

To add to the excitement former French F1 driver Jean Alesi will be driving the prestigious 1954 Mercedes Benz 196 Streamliner which was steered by five-time champion Juan Manuel Fangio on way to winning the drivers title in 1954 and 1955.

Fangio's famous team-mate Alberto Ascari also drove this car.

Gene and Alesi had a chance to acclimatise to the track during a brief practice session yesterday afternoon and both are looking forward to lap the circuit in front of thousands of motor racing enthusiasts.

With just over two weeks to go for the Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix, the opening ceremony gives the organisers a chance to fine-tune their preparations and test the security systems. It will also be a final test for the hundreds of Bahraini marshals and associated rescue crews.

During the opening ceremony, His Majesty the King will honour representatives of various organisations and individuals involved in the design and construction of the circuit for their efforts in building such a magnificent facility and delivering it well in advance.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 18:42 (Ref:908420)   #2
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a report on this. The drivers seemed excited by what they saw. I can hardly wait to see the racing there. I think it may be one of the best circuits on the schedule and if it holds on, then it will develop a history.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 18:54 (Ref:908437)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice info bahrain spirit. Thanks !
Old 17 Mar 2004, 20:58 (Ref:908616)   #4
bahraini spirit
Rookie

anytime dude
Old 18 Mar 2004, 05:56 (Ref:908902)   #5
bahraini spirit
Rookie

THE Bahrain International Circuit for the first time yesterday tasted the raw power and resounding roar of a Formula One car after a colourful inauguration of the track by His Majesty King Hamad.Williams test driver Marc Gene and BMW driver Karim Samy-Pasha raced in F1 cars along with a road car driven by former Middle East Rally champion Mohammed Ben Sulayem while former F1 driver Jean Alesi stirred nostalgia lapping the BIC in the magnificent 1954 Mercedes Benz 196 Streamliner which was twice driven to victory by five-times champion Juan Manuel Fangio.

"What you have created out of really barren land is a hi-tech oasis," said former Formula One champion Jackie Stewart.

"This is just fantastic. This is the best I have seen and you just cannot compare this track with any other," praised Samy-Pasha while Gene said: "In theory this track looks perfect for overtaking manoeuvres."

Alesi, on the other hand, branded the track as a 'modern marvel' capable of matching the best in terms of technology and architecture.

It was an action-packed day at the BIC yesterday as one got a glimpse of 50 marvellous years of Formula One racing.

Fangio's 1954 Mercedes, still in immaculate condition both in the pits and at high speed, was the top attraction with its front engine and the huge steering wheel standing out while the 2003 Williams FW25 and the ubiquitous Saudia-sponsored Williams FW07 caught the eye for its spectacular speed.

Sulayem, on the other hand, drove a road car - a brand new Mercedes - which certainly could not match the Williams for speed but was striking for its power and control.

After Alesi drove the 1954 Mercedes for a few laps, Samy-Pasha, Gene and Sulayem took to the track for a demonstration race with a staggered start.

Sulayem in a road car was the first to go and was followed by Samy-Pasha and Gene. But Gene with the most powerful car easily caught up with the two and was well ahead by the end of the second lap.

Gene continued after a break and did four more laps with a best lap time of 1:34.42.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 17:36 (Ref:909497)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funny nobody complained the unfair advantage Williams get in terms of set up/tyre options from running their cars at the new circuit.

Last edited by Gt_R; 18 Mar 2004 at 17:37.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 17:56 (Ref:909506)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I saw it on TV, the Williams entering the pit, and what I saw seemed to be a lot of dust behind it, or maybe I'm wrong. Sorry to bring this back...
Old 18 Mar 2004, 18:42 (Ref:909544)   #8
bahraini spirit
Rookie

from what ive read, they liked the circuit a lot. but hey i mean if there is a real sandstorm, a glue wont stop it and i suppose uve got the same problem with rain and other natural events.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 18:44 (Ref:909549)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
video link...?
Old 18 Mar 2004, 18:54 (Ref:909565)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by bahraini spirit
from what ive read, they liked the circuit a lot. but hey i mean if there is a real sandstorm, a glue wont stop it and i suppose uve got the same problem with rain and other natural events.
fair enough...

RAIN ???????????? Oh, no, please don't start with that rivers running into the track again !!!!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 18:59 (Ref:909568)   #11
bahraini spirit
Rookie

rivers running on the track, i never mentioned that unless ur being sarcastic, lol.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 19:01 (Ref:909572)   #12
bahraini spirit
Rookie

Old 18 Mar 2004, 19:53 (Ref:909648)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by bahraini spirit
...unless ur being sarcastic, lol.
b. spirit you're a rookie, so I let you know I'm always serious, the sarcastic guy around is Wrex...

I love that pic !

Last edited by Bononi; 18 Mar 2004 at 19:56.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 22:14 (Ref:909871)   #14
bahraini spirit
Rookie

cool i should know that, then i suppose i know whos boss around here