Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Mar 2004, 12:30 (Ref:909216)   #1
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad Attitudes in F1

We give a lot of stick to the regulations and car design for the lack of overtaking, but based on this article from autosport.com, its dissapointing to see drivers having this type of attitude.

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=26381&s=5

"Ralf Schumacher has warned his WilliamsF1 team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya that he will not yield...

"It was a pretty strong move and next time I will have him off the track," Ralf said in Malaysia. "The move was based upon me making space for him, which I did that early in the race, on the basis of scoring as many points as possible and getting the most out of the weekend. But I didn't think it was the right thing to do."

"We have a reasonable relationship," Schumacher said, "and quite a good one as team-mates, but we both want to win. But to brake inside someone knowing that he either gives you space or we crash, is not correct."

EDIT: I have just trimmed the article a little. Previously it was just a copy and paste of the whole article (which was linked, thanks). Done for copyright reasons, its best if the main points are used as eveindence and a link. Thanks Adam /EDIT

This is not a Ralf bash, just a general discussion about the attidudes of drivers in F1 i.e. "I'll have him off if he does it again"

Last edited by Adam43; 18 Mar 2004 at 12:37.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 12:32 (Ref:909220)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Run wide onto the exit kerb! Oh no! Terrible.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 12:50 (Ref:909233)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Petulant spoilt ingrate git. That was a Ralf bash!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:05 (Ref:909253)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always felt Ralf is even more arrogant than Michael.

And at least Michael has the consistent ability to support his arrogance!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:06 (Ref:909254)   #5
swatty
Rookie

swatty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing that worries me about all this is that Williams are seen as the main threat to the Big Red machine, and given JPM departure at the end of the year we all had a feeling that maybe that wasn't the best situation for fighting Ferrari. But now old Ralfy has really set things moving, given that JPM is so touchy he storms out of press conferences how long before this ends up with them getting mechanics to 'hold me coat'.

If this statement has not been taken out of context, and it certainly doesn't appear that way from all the reports I have read, then I fear that one of Ferrari's main competitors could implode before season's end and we end up with a the boring season everyone fears

Our only hope is that all this is doen to German humour :confused:
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:18 (Ref:909270)   #6
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well if he does that next time, he'll break one of FW's fundamental rules for his drivers.

'You may race each other. You do not take eachother off the track.'

But then again, if he's out the door anyway.. oops..
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:40 (Ref:909291)   #7
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they should throw down a ring of overalls in the pit lane at the end of the race and let them have a nice session of 'milling'.

Having said that Ralf would have a slight advantage because as a German bloke, he would have a handbag which he could also use.

On a serious note - what a stupid comment, for which he should get hammered by Frank.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:51 (Ref:909304)   #8
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Loving this. Ferrari's supposed opposition this year are acting like small children.

Forza Ferrari
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:54 (Ref:909309)   #9
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now it is true that Frank W. would want him to leave before he act like his brother in Jerez or even worst tare his teamate of the race.
We will see that pretty soon.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 14:35 (Ref:909343)   #10
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf has a real phsycological problem with his brother
Everything he does is like a pecking order kind of thing.He's too soft to stand up to his brother on the track so he picks fights with whomever he thinks is smaller than he.

Now there's a funny thought.Imagine ralf and juan actually having a punchup,lol.
My money is on the little guy
Old 18 Mar 2004, 14:48 (Ref:909351)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nah, the little guy will probably cry like a baby and blame the big-ish guy for breaking his ****ing head.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 14:50 (Ref:909352)   #12
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope that Williams see sense and fire RS before the end of the season, he's even more arrogant than his big brother (if that's possible!)
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:07 (Ref:909364)   #13
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm surprised he's lasted this long at Williams to be honest. I just don't think of him as a racer, which is why I'm surprised that he's been at Williams this long.

Webber and Button for 2005 please Frank. Cheers.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:20 (Ref:909372)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure that line up is on 'order'....
Old 18 Mar 2004, 16:50 (Ref:909435)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't the topic to be based on what Ralf said..not another "Why Ralf is still in Williams?"

This is something which either people are on Ralf's side or JPM's side. One thing that is for sure is that JPM's moves are often "do or die", he's basically forcing the other drivers to give way or crash..exciting/interesting perhaps, and for purists maybe that's the way to go in racing...but as what we've seen in some of the greatest wheel to wheel battle, there have been much better styles. And some people genuinely feel that it isn't the "correct" way to go.

But it's JPM's style, every driver have their own method, and so far, JPM's been pushing the limit but not beyond. So no reason to blame JPM.

It's good to have tough talks from Ralf. Ralf is not saying he'd purposely take JPM out...but that JPM shouldn't expect Ralf give way anymore and expect an easy pass.

If i'm not wrong, Ralf's statement is in response to JPM's accusations that Ralf is incorrect in defending against him in AGP. Which i believe doesn't hold water, because JPM shouldn't expect people to give way. Similarly, Ralf shouldn't expect an easy ride to stay in Williams.

But like what some had said, these 2 are acting like kids crying foul... are we depending them to take over the crown?!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 20:14 (Ref:909685)   #16
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Isn't the topic to be based on what Ralf said..not another "Why Ralf is still in Williams?"

This is something which either people are on Ralf's side or JPM's side. One thing that is for sure is that JPM's moves are often "do or die", he's basically forcing the other drivers to give way or crash..exciting/interesting perhaps, and for purists maybe that's the way to go in racing...but as what we've seen in some of the greatest wheel to wheel battle, there have been much better styles. And some people genuinely feel that it isn't the "correct" way to go.

But it's JPM's style, every driver have their own method, and so far, JPM's been pushing the limit but not beyond. So no reason to blame JPM.

It's good to have tough talks from Ralf. Ralf is not saying he'd purposely take JPM out...but that JPM shouldn't expect Ralf give way anymore and expect an easy pass.

If i'm not wrong, Ralf's statement is in response to JPM's accusations that Ralf is incorrect in defending against him in AGP. Which i believe doesn't hold water, because JPM shouldn't expect people to give way. Similarly, Ralf shouldn't expect an easy ride to stay in Williams.

But like what some had said, these 2 are acting like kids crying foul... are we depending them to take over the crown?!
At last somthing sensible said.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 20:30 (Ref:909701)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose JPM thought he was a lot quicker and that's why he thought Ralf should have let him by. In any case, the questions are: Will Ralf indeed follow up on what he said? Will we see a furious Head?
Old 19 Mar 2004, 00:40 (Ref:910026)   #18
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Williams turmoil; it's heating up already

If both Williams drivers are indeed going elsewhere in 2005, something must give. IMHO, things can only get worse as the season unwinds. As I suspected prior to season start, the two cars already have made contact, each driver has blamed the other. Personally I enjoy the anticipation but I doubt FW feels the same. If I were in a position to do so, my advice to Frank: warn both drivers and one more incident between the two (resulting in retirement by either driver) and one or both could be on the firing line.

Last edited by Kirk; 19 Mar 2004 at 00:50.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:02 (Ref:910037)   #19
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God wouldn't it be great if one of them got the sack before the season was over?!?...I have a really good former WDC replacement in mind who isn't too busy at the moment
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:06 (Ref:910040)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Leave Damon where he is
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:29 (Ref:910049)   #21
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dammit I knew leaving out "active" was gonna bite me in the arse!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:58 (Ref:910064)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Unfortunatly the TV footage doesn't shed any more light on this issue, as far as I can see from the TV images it looked a clean pass on Montoya's behalf.
Looking at the photos from the corner it appears as though Montoya is right up on the inside right hand kerb, but its tough to judge without appropriate video footage.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 02:12 (Ref:910069)   #23
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds abit like NASCAR, eh?

Frank needs to fire the both of these guys, not only for there total lack of loyalty, but because neither have the right attitude to become WDC.

Danica Patrick
Old 19 Mar 2004, 02:15 (Ref:910074)   #24
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, there is nothing new. Monty and Ralf always has blamed each other. Every year. Its even shocked if Ralf get on with Monty.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 02:16 (Ref:910075)   #25
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Darn, active huh? I was thinking Mario Andretti or maybe Nige...

Schumi Lite just has this way with words, you know? I surely wouldn't want to be him if JPM has qualified behind him.

Has Frank had his fill of these two bickering with each other yet?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.