Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Jan 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1202680)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
$which team is/will be the richest with sponsorships$

HOLDEN

PWR-supercheap

HRT-holden

HSV-HSV

PERKIN'S-castrol

GRM-repco

DYNAMIC-dodo

PMM-sirromet

TKR-hyundi

TASMAN-inner circle rum

TOLL-toll

FORD

SBR-pirtek/caltex

888-betta eletrical

FPR-catapilar

BRITEK-(fujitsu)

DJR-shell

BJR-tba

LARKHAM-orrcon

WPS-wps

tell me if i forgot any.which sponser does/ will put the most money in?it's most probably holden to HRT.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 03:02 (Ref:1202684)   #2
dynamik gal
Racer

Netherlands
F1 Melbourne, Australia
dynamik gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering PMM is run on sponsorship from his father's (Terry Morris) wine company (T.E. Morris spelt backwards - Sirromet) and they are on the rich list most years, i think you could count the endless cheque signing to be in the teams favour if the needed it. Its a main sponsor that is close to home should funds go low. Whereas other teams are sponsored by separate entities, it would be harder to ask for more $$

Ford would be up there too.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 04:44 (Ref:1202706)   #3
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I understand companies do(or did) pay large sums of money even for minor sponsorship on HRT. Considering their transporter, pit bays etc. are all very professional, it seems they have a bit of money to flash around.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 04:53 (Ref:1202707)   #4
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not too up to date there as it was annonced that Shell arent the major sponsors of DJR anymore so i douubt it would be Shell. Maybe Westpoint?

Seems WPS's stickers have been in a lot of Motorsport lately so it might be them.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 05:09 (Ref:1202712)   #5
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excluding Holden & Ford, who are the other big sponsors of V8SC? Dont count HSV.
Castrol, Terry Morris, WPS, Valvoline Cummins

Last edited by cavvy; 17 Jan 2005 at 05:11.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1202731)   #6
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valvoline and cummins are two seperate companies
Old 17 Jan 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1202744)   #7
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isnt it DJR Westpoint?

And I believe that Cummins and Valvoline use the same advertising agency, or at least here in Oz they do. There is a strong connection between them and GRM, is this the case GTR?

Other than driver salaries, how much do Holden put in?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 07:16 (Ref:1202748)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamik gal
Considering PMM is run on sponsorship from his father's (Terry Morris) wine company (T.E. Morris spelt backwards - Sirromet) and they are on the rich list most years, i think you could count the endless cheque signing to be in the teams favour if the needed it. Its a main sponsor that is close to home should funds go low. Whereas other teams are sponsored by separate entities, it would be harder to ask for more $$
What is it with the Morris bashing? Their team is one of the most efficient, certainly not one of the largest in human resource terms... but they have gotten clever at making their own parts, their own chassis, by mechanising some of the processes of construction and manufacture... which cost dollars obviously to implement, but has a payback in not requiring so many people...

I would doubt this squad is anywhere near the top of the sponsorship tree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
And I believe that Cummins and Valvoline use the same advertising agency, or at least here in Oz they do. There is a strong connection between them and GRM, is this the case GTR?
It used to be that Cummins and Valvoline were intrinsically linked in motorsport, appearing together on NASCAR, ChampCar etc... as a result of a supply deal for oil for all those Cummins engines.... but more recently Valvoline (Ashland Chemical) have stepped back from sponsorships... case in point the Cummins/Walker Racing deal in ChampCar does not now include Valvoline...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Jan 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1202752)   #9
manwell
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by resisturban
Valvoline and cummins are two seperate companies
Valvoline and Cummins are 2 different compainies.
But Valvoline Cummins is a joint venture between the two. Hence the fact that when you see one sponsoring a car, you often see the other. Like on the GRM cars, the old Walker Racing cars in CART and cars in other series too.

http://www.valvolinecummins.com/

edit:you beat me to it GTR

Last edited by manwell; 17 Jan 2005 at 07:30.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1202816)   #10
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
John Faulkner used to carry a bit of Cummins sponsorship (and Tec Oils) on his Nascars, was he also sponsored by Valvoline?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1202841)   #11
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TEC oils was Valvoline branded as Cummins TEC oil.

Cummins are HUGE users of oil worldwide.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1202858)   #12
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Yes, the trucks I maintain have Cummins engines and use TEC coolant, I just dont remember seeing Valvoline advertising on JFR cars while they still wore Cummins, but my memory may be a little clouded.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1202930)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There were always small Valvoline logos on the JFR cars, till they became HYL anyway, and the cars ran Mobil 1.

Of significance, and back on topic, I am led to believe that a number of L1 teams are not totally aware fo who their major sponsor (and income generator) shall be this season. The issue with Kellysport is well documented in the motorsport press, but with a Happy Tom lifeline at its fingertips its hardly in danger... while some others, who have struggled with less than strong backing for a number of seasons, are likely to be feeling the pinch this year....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1202934)   #14
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
I was talking old NASCAR and VS Supercar days.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1203324)   #15
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure what the wash-up was for 2004, but in 2003 PMM absorbed just over $4m for a one-car team. Terry was not impressed with the results of his investment. Which may help explain all the customer deals that PMM now does - a new source of revenue, plus some of the advantages of a two-car operation.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 01:13 (Ref:1203405)   #16
FalconXRated
Racer

FalconXRated should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What always bugs me is that SBR don't have two cars with one major backer.
The likes of BJR, 888. HRT, and others all run two cars under the same sponsor so why don't Pirtek or Castrol step up and claim rights to both cars, I think the last two years have proved it to be a good investment.

Alternatively, is this the way of the future?, two car teams with 2 sponsors thus keeping the cost of naming rights a bit lower for the sponsor?.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 01:23 (Ref:1203410)   #17
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow, Castrol would need a huge budget - both Perkins cars, both SBR cars, plus assorted supporting sponsorships

Unless of course you meant Caltex?

The reason is money - Pirtek & Caltex don't want to spend the sort of money required for a total naming rights sponsorship - which would mean at least doubling their current investment.

There are fewer and fewer companies out there that can afford - or justify - the sort of money that the very top Level 1 teams require to be competitive.

BJR, LMS, DJR etc don't have the sort of financing that SBR now has through its two major backers and Ford. While they have the 'down-to-earth' image, SBR is one of the best financed outfits in pit lane now, and clearly they use this money wisely and effectively.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 01:24 (Ref:1203411)   #18
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Coles Myer were still with Kelly Motorsport, they could have run one car under the Kmart banner, and the other under the Coles, Target, or Myers banner.

Same situation at FPR last year. Ford Credit on one car, and Caterpiller on the other.

I think Caltex and Pirtek have got the raw end of the deal to be honest.

I would expect the money that Pirtek put in would be a great amount. Say for examples sake, the average V8 title team sponsor puts in $1 Million a year.

Pirtek probably forks out $700,000 for the sponsorship of one car.

Stone brothers use the two sponsorships to gain more sponsorship money.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 01:33 (Ref:1203420)   #19
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Jason, in truth Pirtek has got one of the bargains of the V8 pit. The dual-championship-winning car for about $700K.

Consider how much Kmart, Betta, Castrol, Shell etc have pumped into their respective teams. Minimum of around $1.5m a year each, usually edging closer to $2m.

Compare this to Supercheap, which puts in a slightly lower amount for SER - who was spending their money the wisest.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 02:13 (Ref:1203436)   #20
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are suggestions that Castrol pumped up both the SuperCheap & K Mart sponsorships last year - given that both fell over about the same time perhaps where there is smoke .......

As K Mart never held the prime space on the team website (Holden & Castrol), I dont believe K Mart pumped in anything like $1.5 mil !!
Old 18 Jan 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1203444)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
If Coles Myer were still with Kelly Motorsport, they could have run one car under the Kmart banner, and the other under the Coles, Target, or Myers banner.

Same situation at FPR last year. Ford Credit on one car, and Caterpiller on the other.

I think Caltex and Pirtek have got the raw end of the deal to be honest.

I would expect the money that Pirtek put in would be a great amount. Say for examples sake, the average V8 title team sponsor puts in $1 Million a year.

Pirtek probably forks out $700,000 for the sponsorship of one car.

Stone brothers use the two sponsorships to gain more sponsorship money.
I still cannot fathom why Coles Myer didn't do exactly that with Kelly Racing. Even running zipper liveries across the two cars in a 50:50 split has to be a fairly good alternative to pouring money into TV ads via a media agency.

Not living in Australia, I cannot comment on Kmart over there, but in NZ, Murf and Crash never appeared in a single TV ad that I can recall, and only in newspaper ads promoting driver appearances around Pukekohe Supercar round time.

Schofield (Giltrap?) Holden use to have a Kmart replica of Murf's #51 car and it had to be stripped of it's signage - a directive from Coles Australia. Kmart NZ had one promo car after that.....but who knows if it is still in circulation post-KRT fallout and post-Murf. It may get to serve out it's lease term in the livery.

I would find it easier to believe that Ford Credit or Caterpillar were perhaps pouring less money into FPR due to the FPV and Ford funds than someone like Pirtek or Caltex would be pouring into SBR due to the increased level of manufacturer funding at FPR.
If going rates are anything to go by, Castrol would have been putting a fair chunk into SER alongside SuperCheap too, based on the signage that they took - a whole bonnet virtually at one stage.

Pirtek would have to be contributing more than $700k into SBR, just based on previous deals like the VIP/Paragon deal a couple of years back, and the SBR labour budget, plus the fact that Peter and Ray understand the value of motorsport back to the days that they were involved in Enzed.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 03:03 (Ref:1203451)   #22
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Rumours from inside the sqaud suggests that HRT's budget is at least 50% more than most other top Teams. Rumours also suggest that they have gone well over budget for the last 6 years, with Holden tipping in the balance. Rumour also suggests that SHRT have blown their budget out completely this year, but Holden aren't coming to the party. If these rumours are true, someone at HRT needs their butt kicked for their dismal performance since MS took over. Uncle Tom
Old 18 Jan 2005, 03:16 (Ref:1203459)   #23
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1
Jason, in truth Pirtek has got one of the bargains of the V8 pit. The dual-championship-winning car for about $700K.

Consider how much Kmart, Betta, Castrol, Shell etc have pumped into their respective teams. Minimum of around $1.5m a year each, usually edging closer to $2m.

Compare this to Supercheap, which puts in a slightly lower amount for SER - who was spending their money the wisest.
My friendly Pirtek franchisee told me that each franchise contribute to make up the budget.....If I remember correctly he did say around $700,000.
I have also been told the Caltex motorsport budget for a year is around $800,000.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 18 Jan 2005, 04:45 (Ref:1203484)   #24
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
There are suggestions that Castrol pumped up both the SuperCheap & K Mart sponsorships last year - given that both fell over about the same time perhaps where there is smoke .......

As K Mart never held the prime space on the team website (Holden & Castrol), I dont believe K Mart pumped in anything like $1.5 mil !!
cavvy, you're correct about the Kmart thing, I wasn't going into detail before.

Like most retailers that sponsor cars, they on-sell the space to their suppliers, who in return are guaranteed good positioning and marketing within their stores. Kmart & Supercheap both did this, most noticeably with Castrol.

It works well for Castrol, because they have to pay for that prime positioning anyway, so they may as well get some motorsport exposure for a bit extra.

If you look at some of the older Target (Gannassi) & Kmart (Newman-Haas) Champ cars from the 90s, they were covered in little logos etc, all supporting the retail chain.

Just Do It, if Pirtek are pumping in $700K, Caltex $800K, plus Ford's contribution (which is well into the seven figures), plus assorted minor sponsors, plus their TEGA money which is into the six figures, plus the millions taken in from merchandising etc, and you've got a very healthy budget going on there. Consider too that the SBR approach is very 'Larry-like' (no pot plants) without the frills and, quite clearly, they know how to make the most of the money they have.

Inside HRT, well, that's been topped up for many a year. After the debacle of 1995 Bathurst, HRT were told by Tom "spend what you need, but win, or I'm shutting this down".

The cost of Lowndes winning the championship that year was just over $5m.

Then the budget was halved for 1997 and all of a sudden Murph's car kept breaking drivelines.

Lowndes comes back, Skaife joins the team and once again the budget is restored, and well clear of anybody elses. The next closest budget, which would have been DJR back then, was around 70-75% of HRTs.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 05:01 (Ref:1203489)   #25
manwell
Racer

Assuming that Pirtek and Caltex put in the same ammount of sponsorship to SBR as they seem to get about the same ammount of car coverage. How would Caltex be feeling that even though they put in the same ammount of money and are part of the championship winning team, they dont recieve half the ammount of exposure.
I think they would be crazy not to push for a mixed Caltex/Pirtek livery to capitalise on Marcos' winnings. But from what ive heard both Caltex and Pirtek are happy with their single car livery.