Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 21 Jul 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1042609)   #1
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haas to run 2 in IRL: Newman

It's on the third page of this longwinded story, but it's there.......

http://www.canada.com/sports/auto/in...0bb959b&page=3
Old 21 Jul 2004, 22:34 (Ref:1042621)   #2
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another strong team for the IRL would be good. Hopefully he will bring along the sponsors.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1042633)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definetely rush.

Got to give Newman credit, he speaks his mind, albeit slowly, and he doesn't hold back!

The future keeps on getting brighter and brighter for the IRL, in spite of what the naysayers keep going on about...

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Jul 2004, 22:56 (Ref:1042650)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very true.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 06:13 (Ref:1042859)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
he would certainly be welcomed
Old 22 Jul 2004, 06:31 (Ref:1042869)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, who do you think would be his drivers (if we were to pretend it was a 100% done & announced deal)? Do you think Bruno Junqueira would be interested in crossing over?
Old 22 Jul 2004, 06:45 (Ref:1042873)   #7
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Junqueira would, Bourdais defintley not. He hates the ovals.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 07:13 (Ref:1042884)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon Bourdais has his sights firmly set on F-1 (and deservingly so), so I left him out of my initial post on purpose
Old 22 Jul 2004, 09:18 (Ref:1042950)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd rather he gets drivers such as Jeff Simmons or Jaques Lazier rather than SeaBass and Junkie....

Good news at any rate.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1043308)   #10
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so sure Bourdais hates ovals. At the start of the season, it was on his website that he might have a chance to do Indy and Le Mans and he looked forward to it.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 12:20 (Ref:1043346)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully Indy would go better than Le Mans.

Bruno would do well in the IRL, as his Indy 500 attempts and CART oval record shows, but I agree that someone like Jeff Simmons would be ideal for the second car.

Let's hope Paul can put a CART team together for next year. Losing another good team is the last thing CART needs.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1043611)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see what the big fuss is about. If haas joins then it will because of a 8 figure check from Honda not merit or because they really want to be there. Hasn't that been the problem that has infected open wheel racing over the past ten years?
Old 22 Jul 2004, 16:50 (Ref:1043637)   #13
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mountainstar
I can't see what the big fuss is about. If haas joins then it will because of a 8 figure check from Honda not merit or because they really want to be there. Hasn't that been the problem that has infected open wheel racing over the past ten years?
Honda writes big checks in F1 as well, much bigger than their IRL checks I'm sure. In fact car manufacturers write big checks in NASCAR, F1 and the IRL. Its these big checks that keep these racing series humming. And those checks have helped bring the big name treams over from CART.

The problem with open wheel racing is not toyota and honda but two racing series competing for the same fans.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 20:27 (Ref:1043850)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mountainstar
Your kidding us right?

If you don't know what the fuss is all about, then nobody here can help you...

Agree with those that like Simmons to get the ride, me to. Does anyone think "Just Al" will be ready next year, or will it be to soon? I do think Junky will come over though, as he has toyed with the idea already, when CC was in doubt.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 20:28 (Ref:1043856)   #15
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
Not so sure Bourdais hates ovals. At the start of the season, it was on his website that he might have a chance to do Indy and Le Mans and he looked forward to it.
Well, after the Champcar race in Milwaukee, Sebastien said something along the lines of "thank God there are no more ovals this year". That's not a direct quote and it was of course before the announced the race in Vegas.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1043874)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
Another strong team for the IRL would be good. Hopefully he will bring along the sponsors.

If Haas was the guy who had the ties to Lilly (which I believe owns "PacifiCare," or at least a sizable share of it), then the sponsorship will come with Haas.

Lilly's world headquarters is based in Indy...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 09:54 (Ref:1044339)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
CART and IRL have fairly differnet competition angles now, and there's no logical reason why you can't enjoy watching both. You just can't realistically run racing teams in both.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 13:12 (Ref:1044598)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
CART and IRL have fairly differnet competition angles now, and there's no logical reason why you can't enjoy watching both. You just can't realistically run racing teams in both.
I agree.....

I'll have the clicker in my hand this Sunday afternoon flipping over to Spike when there are commercials or extended yellows (unless pit strategy will be key elements of the yellows, or course) on ABC during the Milwaukee race, and once the IRL race is done, I'll catch the last half hour of the OWRS event from Vancouver....

Both series are too competitive to split the time and effort between them as a race team, though.....because neither effort would get the justice and focus it deserves to be competitive....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:55 (Ref:1046785)   #19
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who leaves the irl to go the other way its gonna happen
Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:28 (Ref:1047099)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it rather odd. I mean, didn't Honda wave big money in front of Hass before? Why change now? Why be so convinced that Hass would break with Newman?

I also wonder about the driver lineup. After 2002 Junky decided to go with NH and CART rather than Ganassi, the IRL and probably a larger pay cheque.

I have a hard time picturing Bourdais in the IRL. While he did well at Germany, he's generally struggled on ovals.

The other factor is setups. NH has the BEST inventory of CART setups. To throw away being the best team to be a rookie team in the IRL with NO setups is odd. NH has also struggled with their oval setups in CART. Does anyone picture them beating Andretti, Rahal or even Fernandez?
Old 26 Jul 2004, 00:44 (Ref:1047207)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think they could be just as competitive.

Look at fernandez he is starting to make progress now , so with a bit of time they could be right up there , they have a huge knowledge base to call upon on racing matters , im sure they wouldnt take too long to get their heads around and problems that may arise.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 03:39 (Ref:1047279)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes maybe Hass will be just as successfull, but would you honestly put money down saying that Hass's team would quickly (or ever) have the BEST setups for every IRL track? I would much sooner put my money on Ganassi or Penske, but look at them now. Clearly Ganassi was best off last year, but with all the changes (eg. engine), they aren't this year.

CART has mandated no changes, so setups carry over year to year thus gaurenting NH's continued strength in that series.

I can see a case being made for every CART to IRL defection up to this point. I might not agree with them all, but atleast there's some reasons. What's Hass' reason? Being 77, overweight and a lifelong smoker (until now) does anyone think he's got a lot of years left? What's $15M at this stage of his life?
Old 26 Jul 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1047617)   #23
indycool
Veteran

It's been widely presumed that these guys have switched because of the money. Some have said it was the best deal to keep their teams running, some have said they want to run Indy, some have given other reasons, though some choose to ignore them. Haas hasn't won at Indy. Patrick went back because he wanted to run/win Indy again. Maybe Haas does, too.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:16 (Ref:1049647)   #24
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Cristiano da Matta and Bruno junqueira are my pics
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:36 (Ref:1049672)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Possible.

It's more likely they'd be running Toyota than Honda if that were the case, Alex K.