Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1354507)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rollcentre Radicals in 2006?

Since there has been no mention on this forum as far as I can see, and for those who do not subscribe to DSC, an article posted there a couple of days ago made very interesting reading.

Mick Hyde was in the Rollcentre pit at Monza and confirmed 100% one works Radical LMP2 for the 2006 LMES season. They are talking to Michael Vergers about driving it.

Meanwhile Martin Short apparently contacted Radical after Le Mans about the possibility of running two of their cars in LMP2 next year. The decision for Martin to be made in due course is whether to convert the Dallara's into Hybrids or to run Radicals.

My gut feeling from the article is that Martin will go the Radical route, which saddens me. I'd prefer to see Martin convert the Dallara's and remain in LMP1 for one more season. One last chance to mix it with the big boys and have a genuine chance of overall victory at Le Mans.

What do you think?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1354528)   #2
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem a bit of a step backwards, the Dallara may be getting on a bit but it still has good pace & once converted who knows.

Could be the Dallaras will have too many race miles on them to make it worth it. Also seems the Nissan connection is a red herring, unless its a Radicial/Nissan. P2 is getting some serious works interest now.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1354540)   #3
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Dallara's Martin runs have some mileage on them, he bought them from Oreca after they had raced them but to be honest converting them for 2006 and then converting them again when the rules are invariably changed again would surely be cost prohibitive.

I think it would be a good move for Martin and the team. One thing I have seen from the team running the TVRs and Mosler is that they can develop a car to a winning level. Radical build damn good cars, and it's good to see another British company stepping up to this level.

Don't forget that Radical may be talking to other teams apart from just Rollcentre to run the cars at LM and in LMES next year.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1354677)   #4
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I too was wondering when discussions on this would start after the posting on DSC. Half of me thinks it would be a real shame for Rollcentre to go down the Radical LMP2 route, largely because the prime effect would be to reduce the number of LMP1s out there and I initially thought it would rule them out of contending for overall victories/podiums. That said, a new LMP2 (such as the Lola or even the Lucchini) does seem to be fast, and if the reliability can be sorted perhaps that's the way to go.

An ideal outcome would be to see the Dallaras hybridised for 2006 and then Rollcentre acquire a newbuild LMP1 for 2007 - when presumably they'll start to come on stream.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1354682)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I hope Rollcentre will stay in LMP1 class.

LMP2 has already enough entries and I have the impression Rollcentre has enough budget to compete in LMP1.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1354706)   #6
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
superfox2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rollcentre could always a Lister LMP1
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1354714)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon he should mod up his Dallaras and put a Judd 5L in it too . He may end up with a great car for next year . I heard that the Pescarolo had very little wind tunnel work done on it ..... Dallara have always built a very good chassis .

He might have a car potientially as good as a Pescarolo .....

I'd like to see Shorty modify his Dallaras ..... then there is Nissan to think about too !!!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1354715)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Perhaps they will take the plunge and run a Lola as an LMP1. Whoever does it first may reap tremendous rewards, as it's clearly a very fast car. With a Judd GV5 in it, think what it could do...
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1354717)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfox2000
Rollcentre could always a Lister LMP1

Naa ..... he needs a car that can finish !!!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1354718)   #10
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or a new Lola LMP1.. or a Zytek LMP1, or a Riley LMP1.. theres lots of possibilities out there, i really also wish Rollcentre stays in P1
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1354720)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

He could always run a Riley GTP too !!!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:48 (Ref:1354735)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sure it would be sad to lose Rollcentre from P1, but the Radical P2 option seems very attractive to me.

Who's to say Rollcentre could not also run Radicals for other owners, particulalrly those steeping up from the one make series.

P1 will take care of itself with RFH entering 2 cars next season, plus the likes of Kruse etc. also stepping up.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Belmondo go down the P1 route, especially if they drop the Vipers.

Then we have Audi, Peugeot to look forward too.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1354740)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I reckon he should mod up his Dallaras and put a Judd 5L in it too . He may end up with a great car for next year . I heard that the Pescarolo had very little wind tunnel work done on it ..... Dallara have always built a very good chassis .

He might have a car potientially as good as a Pescarolo .....

I'd like to see Shorty modify his Dallaras ..... then there is Nissan to think about too !!!
How competitive would a hybrid be against a full P1?

2005 was the year of opportunity for these cars, a 2006 only hybrid could be money down the drain.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1354752)   #14
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
How competitive would a hybrid be against a full P1?

2005 was the year of opportunity for these cars, a 2006 only hybrid could be money down the drain.
I'm not so sure - first off, how many fully fledged LMP1s will there be next year? And will they be reliable compared to a hybrid built on a solid platform?

There is also the point that a hybrid will still have some notional advantages in not having the aerodynamic penalty of the second roll hoop and may still have some ground effect benefit from the different undersides.

On the topic of whether this would be money down the drain - how much do people reckon it costs to convert an old style LMP1 to be a hybrid?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1354764)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
I would think most P1 cars would be full reg cars next year, whether Lola, Zytek, Dome etc.

I can only think of Lister and Pescarolo that are likely to run hybrids.

Courage 'may' have their new car ready, especially as the current hybrid doesn't appear to be quite on the pace of the Pescarolos.

Its not just about being competitive in 2006 with a hybrid, the other teams will have an extra years experience with the full reg P1s.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1354767)   #16
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rollcentre could well give Radical the necessary bits to start competing successfully
so not a bad idea.
and one has to see you´re putting really big time money down the drain with running a lmp1 car .Next year it will all be a different ballgame with new regs and factory involvement .So the window of opportunity going the hybrid route is closed already in reality.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1354773)   #17
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rollcentre has two good options on their hands IMO... converting the Dallaras to hybrids would be a great move as they would be able to run competitively in 2006 while waiting to see what pans out for new cars in 2007, and the Radical tie-in would be great as it would give them some long-term stability with a chassis manufacturer
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1354789)   #18
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2005 will go down as the year of Henri's missed opportunity. But I see little at this stage to indicate there won't be two Pescarolo's at the front of the grid next year. The new full spec cars will be just that, new. And whilst I expect Audi to be well prepared for 2006, the unknowns they will encounter with a new car, especially a diesel car, make their Le Mans bid less predictable.

I agree with Nordic, LMP2 is a step down.......

Which is why I believe Martin should convert the Dallara's and go LMP1 hybrid for 2006. Another year of opportunity for the privateer. Performance would be very similar to the Pescarolo's, and over 24 hours Martin would have every chance of beating them.

In 2007 the mountain will become just too hard for the privateers to climb.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1354876)   #19
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
I don't care what they are going to drive next year, I just hope Rollcentre will stick around for a long time because sportscars need teams like them.
And for the rumour of Michael Vergers driving for them, I hope so, he deserves a shot at this level, he would surprise a lot of star names.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1354904)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RollCentre will have a fast, reliable, competitive, and affordable chassis if they work with Radical....

Mick Hyde builds high-quality race cars...and he has one of the best designers in the business involved with the project...

This is a good move for them....I just want them on the race track....and I'm glad they are looking at this option...

They won't regret it.....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1354923)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just heard Shorty talking to Hindy on the Autosport Radio Show, on Globecast907, he said that he is talking to Radical about next year. The other thing said was that he access to the Nissan engines for the rest of the year.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1354926)   #22
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Martin should do a conversion on the Martlett chassis that he has in storage.

I know he reads this forum, so this gives him another idea.

Rob.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 20:26 (Ref:1354946)   #23
therealdeal
Rookie

United States
Miami, FL
therealdeal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok how about this....

run one new lmp2 radical for a year and convert one dallara to lmp1 specifications and then he can make everyone happy

no but maybe if he runs the radical next year he can help develop the chassis so they can convert it into an lmp1? if thats a possibilty with that chassis....
Old 13 Jul 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1354987)   #24
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anybody reckon one day Radical might make a new LMP1? They could well work with a team to develop their LMP2, and one day transform it into an LMP1 competitor? Particularly once the buzz of the current-proposed factory teams has faded, come 2008/2009...? Down side to that thought is they'll change the regs again by that time lol
Old 13 Jul 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1355059)   #25
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
Anybody reckon one day Radical might make a new LMP1? They could well work with a team to develop their LMP2, and one day transform it into an LMP1 competitor? Particularly once the buzz of the current-proposed factory teams has faded, come 2008/2009...? Down side to that thought is they'll change the regs again by that time lol
a LMP1 evolution is absolutely a possibility for any of the current or proposed LMP2 cars as the two formulas have very similar regulations and it wouldn't take much to get an LMP2 car into LMP1 trim...