Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Nov 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2986836)   #1
Bill38
Rookie

Bill38 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring 2013 & Beyond

I sure hope the 2012 Sebring is a success in the eyes of the WEC. However, for 2013 and beyond, maybe the ALMS could not allow LMPC and GTC cars to enter. It is my understanding that the LMPC and GTC contracts/agreements with the ALMS were for 3 years. If so, 2012 will be the final year of these contracts/agreements. Therefore, if the ALMC wants to renew these arrangments, they could exempt the LMPC and GTC cars from Sebring after 2012. By doing this, some of the WEC objections to Sebring would be eliminated ( classes not included in the WEC and the number of cars) and we will continue to have world class racing at Sebring.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2986873)   #2
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm really more interested in the ALMS returning to being a World Class series without such strict ties to the ACO. It's not good for the series to have only two real events (one now, I suppose) and be kicked in the crotch repeatedly by the organization you helped save last decade. Plus using an ACO tub as the basis for P1 and P2 cars and then instituting aero and engine rules that make sense would be a good way forward.

Chris
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2986932)   #3
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS should move forward with a GT2/GT3 field, exclusively, balance them to all be competitive, and leave the prototypes for WEC. The GT cars would get the coverage they deserve, making sponsors happier, and the options of which car to run (SLS, R8, the usual suspsects, etc...) would increase. Not to mention the fans would have oh so many delicious choices of eye candy to drool over.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2986956)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I don't find GT2s and GT3s to be that delicious, compared to the fairly fresh memories I have of GT1s and LMPs. If it turned into GT-only, I'm not sure how long I would continue to watch the ALMS.

The sole GT-only race next year that I know right now I have a particular interest in is the Spa 24 Hours. That's it.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2986958)   #5
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Well, next-years GTEs are all rumored to get a widebody treatment like the new RSR, so visually they wouldn't be much different anymore from GT1s...
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2986962)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
We shall see. We haven't had a GT1-moniker Porsche since 2004 to compare to.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2987302)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2013 and beyond, my money would be on a standalone Sebring and Montreal being in the WEC. Lots of issue to overcome for both to come about, not least the possible need to expand the calender to nine rounds, something a prestige race like Montreal could justify.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2987310)   #8
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
2013 and beyond, my money would be on a standalone Sebring and Montreal being in the WEC. Lots of issue to overcome for both to come about, not least the possible need to expand the calender to nine rounds, something a prestige race like Montreal could justify.
I'd be willing to bet that Sebring will not be in the WEC in 2013. They've already mentioned that they are looking at a stadalone event in the US and the ALMS can't be happy.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2987322)   #9
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I'd be willing to bet that Sebring will not be in the WEC in 2013. They've already mentioned that they are looking at a stadalone event in the US and the ALMS can't be happy.
Yeah, one has to assume Sebring is IMSA land. The Don might be willing to give them a race there in October, but the Don hasn't reacted very kindly to affronts in the past. I imagine the PLM exclusion and all this elbowing the ALMS out of the way and posturing the WEC is doing isn't pleasing him, so I imagine he might have about had it with the WEC.

Chris
Old 16 Nov 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2987324)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I understand the ownership issues, I just get the impression Sebring will take the fat sanctioning fee offered by the ACO/FIA, using it not only the subsidise the ALMS, but to keep the WEC away from a potential NASCAR link-up at Watkins Glen, Daytona or a joint date at Montreal.

That may seem far fetched, but with Corvette getting into bed with GA, and US DTM (BMW, Audi, Mercedes), possibly being a GA/NASCAR support, the ALMS will be looking for allies, or in this case a marriage of convenience.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2987329)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I think Sebring will always be a success . Its got a racing heritage , only 2nd to Le Mans in my opinion . Ive been there ..... 2003 , and its truely an excellant track , a little rough in places but thats part of it all .

I feel there needs to be a P class in the ALMS . However it seems that its always split up between P1 & P2 , with a sprinkleing in each class . So , I reckon they need to strengthen the P field and run one class . Of which I reckon P2 is the best value for money , with more chassis/engine combos available . It would then be the top class and be possible to go for ALMS overall win .

Thinking about when the WEC visits ..... take the top 6 cars from the previous years ALMS championship and give them a by for race , that would also give teams incentive to perform and possibily brush up their game , leading to a more professional package .

Your GT class , I reckon is 2nd to none . Real balls out stuff , by everyone .

GTC is a bit of a one class flat fart for me , dont mean to offend .

Your LMPC class is looking pretty good , but needs some kinda break to make them quicker than a GTE car .

I would suggest ALMS going P2 , LMPC , GTE . Let the big boys go P1 in the WEC .
Old 16 Nov 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2987335)   #12
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
US DTM
Is it yet more than a concept?
Old 16 Nov 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2987339)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I understand the ownership issues, I just get the impression Sebring will take the fat sanctioning fee offered by the ACO/FIA, using it not only the subsidise the ALMS, but to keep the WEC away from a potential NASCAR link-up at Watkins Glen, Daytona or a joint date at Montreal.
Typically, a track PAYS the sanctioning fee to host the race, not receives one. Have you seen anthing that definitively states otherwise for this race? Sebring pays the ALMS to race there, as do all the other tracks, and series that I am aware of.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2987344)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Is it yet more than a concept?
I don't give it much chance myself but the fact it could be taking BMW and Audi's eyes off the ALMS, and smooth out some issues with GT3 models in GA, is reason enough to be concerned. Motorsport is all about long-term strategic moves, the uncertainty from one season to the next is one of the ALMS' biggest issues, they don't want to be caught between the ACO/FIA and NASCAR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Typically, a track PAYS the sanctioning fee to host the race, not receives one. Have you seen anthing that definitively states otherwise for this race? Sebring pays the ALMS to race there, as do all the other tracks, and series that I am aware of.
My mistake, put it another way, Sebring can potentially draw in more punters, sell more sponsorship etc., if they can rely on, not the World Championship name itself, but the entrants that come to such a race.

None of this would matter if the ALMS offered up a grid similar to those seen before 2009, but with fewer local entries, and potentially a drop in overseas entries, I don't see Sebring being content with a total LMP grid of 8-10 cars.

Last edited by JAG; 16 Nov 2011 at 18:47.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2987368)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
My mistake, put it another way, Sebring can potentially draw in more punters, sell more sponsorship etc., if they can rely on, not the World Championship name itself, but the entrants that come to such a race.

None of this would matter if the ALMS offered up a grid similar to those seen before 2009, but with fewer local entries, and potentially a drop in overseas entries, I don't see Sebring being content with a total LMP grid of 8-10 cars.
What you have to realize that a large number of the attendance is made up of college kids partying, many who barely know there is a race going on. How many additional tickets do they need to cover a half million dollar sanction fee, plus the lost rights to have the race title sponsor, lost marketing rights.....

You are right though, Sebring management hasn't been happy with some of the recent grid sizes.

Overall, the series ownership would probably be better off (financially)to grow their series, and do without the WEC, though Sebring could take a bit of a hit.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2987387)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
If the LMP field grows this winter, and momentum builds through 2012, Sebring has a tough decision to make, but that's a big if.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 06:18 (Ref:2987548)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If the LMP field grows this winter, and momentum builds through 2012
And then the world ends ..... looks like the Fia won again !!!