Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Mar 2015, 21:28 (Ref:3516928)   #5226
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Still not convinced it's Paul Ricard.

Great shots! She looks good to me. I am somewhat optimistic given their mileage and what they have admitted to focussing on. They aren't exactly standing about in the aero department either. I really wish I could make it to COTA this year. I had a great time last year.

Thanks again for the added eye candy Spyderman.
Aero and hybrid are the Toyota strong point´s… but porsche will have the best engine :-)

Let´s hope they could manage the tires better :-)
Old 19 Mar 2015, 00:11 (Ref:3516963)   #5227
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Great shot.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 01:38 (Ref:3516974)   #5228
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It looks like they have lost one of my favorite elements of the Porsche...those side gills which looked so graceful. It may just be the blackness but it looks like they are gone.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 05:24 (Ref:3516993)   #5229
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
It looks like they have lost one of my favorite elements of the Porsche...those side gills which looked so graceful. It may just be the blackness but it looks like they are gone.
Which is a bit surprising BTW.

EDIT: front-diffuser exits are apparently still there, just behind the 919 number plate.

Last edited by MyNameIsNigel; 19 Mar 2015 at 05:44.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 05:40 (Ref:3516995)   #5230
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect that they may have been doing the first tests of the low-DF package.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 05:43 (Ref:3516997)   #5231
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Still not convinced it's Paul Ricard.

Great shots! She looks good to me. I am somewhat optimistic given their mileage and what they have admitted to focussing on. They aren't exactly standing about in the aero department either. I really wish I could make it to COTA this year. I had a great time last year.

Thanks again for the added eye candy Spyderman.
Always a pleasure.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 09:29 (Ref:3517025)   #5232
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Which is a bit surprising BTW.

EDIT: front-diffuser exits are apparently still there, just behind the 919 number plate.

Correct, save the picture edit the brightness and contrast and it will reveal the opening. It begins at the end of the number plate as said, different looking to last years.

I would upload my image I've edited, but I can't upload onto the thread, disabled apparently?
Old 19 Mar 2015, 09:44 (Ref:3517029)   #5233
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I think CyberMotor may be referring to the " shark gill-like" planes that make up the side diffusers.
This package still has holes, but no gill like planes.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 11:02 (Ref:3517046)   #5234
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were using them at Bahrain so I assume they were testing a different aero configuration
Old 19 Mar 2015, 11:35 (Ref:3517052)   #5235
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
...and I suspect we will see them back again during the Prologue.

Indecently: It seems Porsche tested through the night. Most likely a Le Mans simulation.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 12:17 (Ref:3517064)   #5236
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I think CyberMotor may be referring to the " shark gill-like" planes that make up the side diffusers.
This package still has holes, but no gill like planes.
Thanks. Yes, that is what I was referencing.

In the debate between white and black cars, this is an excellent example of why I don't like black cars. You can not see the details like this.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 12:29 (Ref:3517070)   #5237
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Not long now before you will see it in white.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 13:38 (Ref:3517097)   #5238
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Not long now before you will see it in white.
I think this year the teams figured out that leaving cars in black carbon fiber is as effective in hiding shapes as their elaborate camouflages were last year.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 18:51 (Ref:3517182)   #5239
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
I think this year the teams figured out that leaving cars in black carbon fiber is as effective in hiding shapes as their elaborate camouflages were last year.
I am not sure if you are joking or not, but I actually believe that is true. I think the dazzle stuff is mostly a repeating graphic. Take a predictable pattern, wrap it on a three dimensional object and with enough photos from enough angles, I suspect you could potentially generate a decent 3d model. Its one step away from painting a grid on it! So a flat black surface probably does hide more. It also saves time on the vinyl wrap.

Richard
Old 19 Mar 2015, 20:09 (Ref:3517207)   #5240
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

It is interesting how cars are developing nowadays. They all want to get rid of the rear end body work it seems. All so low, and Nissan has its own way of doing that too. Similar in F1 too, the coke bottle is getting quite extreme there.
Efficiently moving the air over and around the car.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 09:08 (Ref:3517369)   #5241
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
6000Km completed and a final 200Km to go. A real endurance test.
Thanks to Brendon Hartley for the information.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 13:12 (Ref:3517425)   #5242
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
nice pictures of testing.
http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/.../15porschtest4
Old 20 Mar 2015, 13:49 (Ref:3517433)   #5243
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Old 20 Mar 2015, 15:12 (Ref:3517454)   #5244
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for yet another excellent link. The differing vantage points showed even more of the evolution from last year. One would imagine with the amount of mileage they have racked up they have elected to push the new girl in an effort to see what gremlins might pop-up. I for one would like to know what class they will be running in. Have they decided to really focus on a 17th Le Mans victory despite their supposed aim of a podium result? I realize how silly what I just said must sound, as they obviously wanted to win in 2014 but perhaps after a year of experience under their belts they will now adapt a differing strategy. We can see that they are obviously in a much stronger position this early on in that they have different aero packages.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 16:38 (Ref:3517470)   #5245
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Porsche will continue race simulations at Paul Ricard and will stay on until the Prologue.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 18:06 (Ref:3517493)   #5246
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
German magazine "Pitwalk" has a quite good article on the Porsche 919 Hybrid 2015 in their number 24 issue.

The main informations which include also some known ones below:

- wind tunnel change from 50% Dallara to 60% Williams F1
- new CFD-codes and changed tool chain
- first use of the brandnew full-scale Porsche wind tunnel at Weissach
- improved aero for less pitch sensitivity, more stable aero platform
- monocoque is one single piece for higher stiffness and 2kg less weight
- new batteries by A123 with higher energy density with less cells; 15 % less weight
- reworked engine installation for higher torsional rigidity
- improved bodywork for less weight and less gap width
- new lighter but also much stiffer suspension with changed geometry, FRIC still on board

- slightly increased capacity and a new smaller compressor and turbine with less inertia and changed flow geometry for better response characteristic

- seven speed gearbox with a non-stressed aluminium case, the gearbox is housed in a single piece carbon structure which include the suspension mounts

- the problems with the tyre wear and the mid-corner understeer have been solved
Old 20 Mar 2015, 20:20 (Ref:3517552)   #5247
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Thank you. Very interesting.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 20:26 (Ref:3517559)   #5248
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Also- according to Marc Lieb , the brakes are much improved.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 02:03 (Ref:3517661)   #5249
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2015 WEC/Le Mans will be titanic if the improvements being quoted by each of these teams is anything to go by.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 18:04 (Ref:3517984)   #5250
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Total mileage for the 919 in 2015 (so far) : 26,635Km

Last edited by Spyderman; 21 Mar 2015 at 18:22.