Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Sep 2016, 16:55 (Ref:3675738)   #51
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Has anyone ever actually won Daytona, Sebring and PLM in same year?

(Overall that is, I think someone won in LMPC and maybe elsewhere but who cares)
Old 28 Sep 2016, 17:24 (Ref:3675741)   #52
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

(Overall that is, I think someone won in LMPC and maybe elsewhere but who cares)
Not sure about overall but thought Corvette won class in all three plus LM. I'd have to dig into record books.

And you'd be looking at a relatively small window, early ALMS/pre GA and recent...
Old 28 Sep 2016, 17:26 (Ref:3675742)   #53
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's a good question. If there is one , I bet its an Audi.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 17:57 (Ref:3675746)   #54
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Petit has consistently been the race I've always wanted to go to but work commitments always keep it from happening. Really looking forward to this one.

I'm torn between wanting a DP victory in its final run, with the Taylors taking the win, a Mazda break-through, or an ESM Patron NAEC championship. Really if any of the three win I'll be happy.

And although I'm more a Porsche fan than anything else, I'd really like to see Risi with a victory after the crap luck they've had this year.
Outside of 2009 and 2015, every one I've been too have been great fun.

That said, I am hoping for a clean, good close race with little "drama".

Great track and a great event, with lots of good people, the likes of which we are coming accustom to seeing in the same spots every year. There's also lots of "interesting" folks, too. Ah, race fans.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 18:19 (Ref:3675749)   #55
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Very short window of opportunity for that, with PLM only being around since 1998 and DPs becoming a thing in 2003.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3675756)   #56
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I will be loitering the turn 4 fence area for the last hour of the Conti race and will hang there for WeatherTech Quali.

My truck was in the process of puking a water pump bearing
so its in the shop now getting that fixed. I cant afford any chances
of a breakdown for the 30 minute commute to the track!
Missed this earlier and hope your water pump issues get resolved.

You know where to find us in T4 but we may end up wandering about for Quali. Feel like I've not got around the last 3 or 4 years...
Old 28 Sep 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3675757)   #57
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
That's a good question. If there is one , I bet its an Audi.
Audi has never raced a LMP car at Daytona.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 19:33 (Ref:3675764)   #58
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
The Dyson Riley & Scott Mk III #002 won Daytona in 99 and Sebring in 97 and finished 16th at Road Atlanta 3 hr in 96.

2000 was Grand Am at Daytona so until 2014, it wasn't even possible to win all three for a decade and a half.

Daytona: Action Express #5 Corvette DP #CPM-GM008
Sebring: Gannasi #01 Riley Mk XXVI #MkXI-004=>AA-004
PLM: Taylor Racing #10 Corvette #DP01-003 (Dallara)

Daytona: Gannasi #02 Mk XXVI #MkXI-002=>AA-005
Sebring: Action Express #5 Corvette DP #CPM-GM009
PLM: Some Beetle

So no to all three in one year.

Closest any 1 chassis got was campaigned by Dyson!

Maybe I should start packing instead of researching.....
Old 28 Sep 2016, 19:43 (Ref:3675766)   #59
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
2000 was Grand Am at Daytona so until 2014, it wasn't even possible to win all three for a decade and a half.
Not with same chassis, but had ALMS LMP1 (or LMP2 circa 2007-2008) team entered oneoff DP for Daytona or vice versa, at least same team could've won all three in same year.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3675767)   #60
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Not with same chassis, but had ALMS LMP1 (or LMP2 circa 2007-2008) team entered oneoff DP for Daytona or vice versa, at least same team could've won all three in same year.
I recall Dyson running a DP one off for Daytona and know they never came close at PLM.

I can't recall any others off the top of my head....

And my very close the tabs on purpose! I need to step away!
Old 28 Sep 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3675769)   #61
Deleted
Veteran

IIRC Penske had some oneoff DP at Daytona (with WRT co-op?) at the end of the decade while they still had Spyder capable of winning overall in ALMS, incl Sebring they did won.

Maybe I should just look into results myself instead of baffling nonsense, but ehh. In any case ESM has good prospects for Sat.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 20:21 (Ref:3675774)   #62
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
IIRC Penske had some oneoff DP at Daytona (with WRT co-op?) at the end of the decade while they still had Spyder capable of winning overall in ALMS, incl Sebring they did won.

Maybe I should just look into results myself instead of baffling nonsense, but ehh. In any case ESM has good prospects for Sat.
HA! I hope the ESM stays clean and in contention myself....

I got to witness the Penske overall win at Sebring in person! That was aweome and I do recall them having a short lived DP and didn't think it was a one-off so I dove down the worm hole for you:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/chassis/MkXX-036.html

Mk XX Riley with Porsche flat 6:

http://www.teampenske.com/news/index...m_Rolex_Series
Old 28 Sep 2016, 20:29 (Ref:3675782)   #63
Deleted
Veteran

No I didn't mean the 2009 Penske DP because at that point the Porsche Spyder had already been ditched from ALMS, but the co-run 2008 WTR-Penske. So you had that year
Daytona - overall third (shared team)
Sebring - overall first
PLM - overall fourth, 1st in LMP2
Old 28 Sep 2016, 20:37 (Ref:3675784)   #64
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Petit has consistently been the race I've always wanted to go to but work commitments always keep it from happening. Really looking forward to this one.

I'm torn between wanting a DP victory in its final run, with the Taylors taking the win, a Mazda break-through, or an ESM Patron NAEC championship. Really if any of the three win I'll be happy.

And although I'm more a Porsche fan than anything else, I'd really like to see Risi with a victory after the crap luck they've had this year.
Good for you Wolf....glad you'll finally get to a Petit....you're gonna love it. Every sports car fan in the US should get to a Petit, a Sebring and an Elkhart at least once in their lives...if not many.

On another topic....has anyone posted info on where you can stream the race on your home PC for free. I ask because it looks like FS1 and FS2 don't cover the whole event this year. FS2 ends their coverage at something like 6pm.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3675788)   #65
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz22 View Post
Good for you Wolf....glad you'll finally get to a Petit....you're gonna love it. Every sports car fan in the US should get to a Petit, a Sebring and an Elkhart at least once in their lives...if not many.

On another topic....has anyone posted info on where you can stream the race on your home PC for free. I ask because it looks like FS1 and FS2 don't cover the whole event this year. FS2 ends their coverage at something like 6pm.
It says IMSAtv will stream it ALL live, but often this requires a 'Fox' provider authorization. Fairly simple if you are a customer and receive the Foxes in your package. I did tweet IMSA about the coverage but have not received an answer yet. ... Coverage at bottom of the page

http://sportscarchampionship.imsa.co.../petit-le-mans

From IMSA .... yesterday

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/780874258692145152

L.P.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 21:11 (Ref:3675789)   #66
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
No I didn't mean the 2009 Penske DP because at that point the Porsche Spyder had already been ditched from ALMS, but the co-run 2008 WTR-Penske. So you had that year
Daytona - overall third (shared team)
Sebring - overall first
PLM - overall fourth, 1st in LMP2
There you go!

Still, "no" is the answer but I feel more the wise.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 21:27 (Ref:3675790)   #67
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz22 View Post

Following the race with live timing, IMSA radio, and GTLM onboards is not the worst thing in the world. Pretty neat actually, then you get the IMSA TV replay on youtube the next day.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 22:42 (Ref:3675799)   #68
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Audi has never raced a LMP car at Daytona.
Of course. Good point!
Old 28 Sep 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3675803)   #69
Deleted
Veteran

Is anyone gonna be planning to have teary eyes* on Saturday, with the prospect of final** DP run? You know, like with US LMP1 in 2013 Petit?

* possible tears of joy not counted
** maybe
Old 28 Sep 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3675810)   #70
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe a mock funeral procession with a DP effigy burned on the front straight after the awards ceremonies?
Old 28 Sep 2016, 23:29 (Ref:3675811)   #71
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
It says IMSAtv will stream it ALL live, but often this requires a 'Fox' provider authorization. Fairly simple if you are a customer and receive the Foxes in your package. I did tweet IMSA about the coverage but have not received an answer yet. ... Coverage at bottom of the page

http://sportscarchampionship.imsa.co.../petit-le-mans

From IMSA .... yesterday

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/780874258692145152
They've said all season that if you get FS1, you can watch the FS2 races/race segments on FSGo, but I've found that not to be the case. I *think* it worked for the 24, but not for Sebring, Long Beach, Laguna PC/GTD or COTA.

So basically, if you live in the US and don't have FS2 on your cable package, good luck watching Petit via legitimate means.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 23:30 (Ref:3675812)   #72
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Maybe a mock funeral procession with a DP effigy burned on the front straight after the awards ceremonies?
Or just torch the winning car, they won't be needing it anymore!
Old 28 Sep 2016, 23:32 (Ref:3675813)   #73
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Following the race with live timing, IMSA radio, and GTLM onboards is not the worst thing in the world. Pretty neat actually,
Yeah, no. Maybe compared to watching Ken Squier call Camel GT on TBS a month after the race happened, but don't give me worse coverage than Winston Cup had in 1985 and call it "pretty neat."

Quote:
then you get the IMSA TV replay on youtube the next day.
Because sports events are always better when you already know the results!
Old 29 Sep 2016, 00:06 (Ref:3675816)   #74
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Yeah, no. Maybe compared to watching Ken Squier call Camel GT on TBS a month after the race happened, but don't give me worse coverage than Winston Cup had in 1985 and call it "pretty neat."

Because sports events are always better when you already know the results!

ok now your hitting too close to home back in those days Ken had his own production company

ok
Old 29 Sep 2016, 00:10 (Ref:3675817)   #75
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Is anyone gonna be planning to have teary eyes* on Saturday, with the prospect of final** DP run? You know, like with US LMP1 in 2013 Petit?
I never got completely comfortable seeing a DP on Road Atlanta.
I did like seeing the drivers though. Brendon Hartley and Alex Gurney
are a couple that come to mind in 2013. Who could forget all the years
of "Hi to my family at home"?

There were 29 or 30 DP's that took the green flag at the 2005 24 Hrs of Daytona .
That was a site to see live. It was a Wayne Taylor/Max A. win
in the Sun Trust car.

I imagine the 80/20 rule will be in effect this weekend.
80% will be glad its their last race(possibly).
20% will miss them.

100% of us hope all teams and drivers return in one form or another next year.

Last edited by canamman; 29 Sep 2016 at 00:37.