Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Feb 2019, 16:27 (Ref:3886552)   #2051
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To relieve the boredom a puzzle for our younger members. Can you identify these cars?

I am sure Mike will know them all, but let Will have a crack first.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1212_edited.JPG   IMG_1759.JPG   184.JPG  

235.JPG   JPEG Image (54995).jpg   IMG_5864.JPG  

Old 25 Feb 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3886553)   #2052
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Been 'off grid' for a few days-huge west coast nz storm last week washed a mountain into the sea, or at least a few million tonnes of it. Unfortunately the coastal road got in the way. When I say the coastal road I mean THE coastal road and we were the wrong side of it, the diversion was about 1200kms so we settled down to wait. Open again today for 10 mins every hour and we've been treated to several dozen 20s and 30s tourers going the other way which broke up an otherwise tedious drive through rainforest, glaciers, unspoilt coastline......🤣 Oh, and we saw a kiwi last night!

Life's tough Colin but somebody has to live it ...
Old 25 Feb 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3886557)   #2053
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
To relieve the boredom a puzzle for our younger members. Can you identify these cars? I am sure Mike will know them all, but let Will have a crack first.
Mmm, not all of them Bob. There’s at least one I’m scratching my head over.....

But great idea and will keep stuhm- as hopefully will some others!
Old 25 Feb 2019, 17:45 (Ref:3886562)   #2054
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
To relieve the boredom a puzzle for our younger members. Can you identify these cars?

I am sure Mike will know them all, but let Will have a crack first.
This could go terribly wrong.

1-Kieft-Resembles the one Nigel Batchelor has a little.
2-Scarab ??.Colour scheme same as the offenhauser.
3-Maserati of some sort.Maybe on of the 50s Porsches.
4- A car -Jaguar Mk2 or one of those saloons..Resemlbes but not big enough
5-
6-Old Yeller-saw one driven by Ernst Nagamutsu at S Classic in 2017.

Cheers Bob for the quiz.Any more lined up on the grid.
Old 25 Feb 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3886578)   #2055
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Mmm, not all of them Bob. There’s at least one I’m scratching my head over.....

But great idea and will keep stuhm- as hopefully will some others!
Can always send a PM, Mike, and I'll put you right.
Old 25 Feb 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3886579)   #2056
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
This could go terribly wrong.

1-Kieft-Resembles the one Nigel Batchelor has a little.
2-Scarab ??.Colour scheme same as the offenhauser.
3-Maserati of some sort.Maybe on of the 50s Porsches.
4- A car -Jaguar Mk2 or one of those saloons..Resemlbes but not big enough
5-
6-Old Yeller-saw one driven by Ernst Nagamutsu at S Classic in 2017.

Cheers Bob for the quiz.Any more lined up on the grid.
Hmmm! Nice try, but must do better. 50%
Old 25 Feb 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3886580)   #2057
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Having a quiet day after a trip to Race Retro and back on Friday, then another trip down to Banbury on Sunday for an Imp Club Committee meeting, as I've been stupid enough to agree to organise the Imp National Weekend this year.....something over 600 miles over the two days - time was that wouldn't feel much but I've got out of the habit

Getting up at 6.00am yesterday and setting off in the fog wasn't much fun, but fortunately although the fog stayed for almost all the journey south it was light enough for 50 - 70 mph to be on most of the time.....and of course there are long stretches of 50mph average speed sections - don't do much for the average speed, but (depressingly) it does reinforce the effect on fuel consumption. My 159 diesel normally gets around 35 mpg average - mostly town work dropping it to 32 or so, but over the last 600+ miles its been between 45 - 50mpg - obviously helped by pretty much non-stop motorway running, but the amount of time at 50mph rather than the usual indicated 80mph cruise does have its impact.....

Life's too short to stick to 50, though
Old 25 Feb 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3886581)   #2058
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Having a quiet day after a trip to Race Retro and back on Friday, then another trip down to Banbury on Sunday for an Imp Club Committee meeting, as I've been stupid enough to agree to organise the Imp National Weekend this year.....something over 600 miles over the two days - time was that wouldn't feel much but I've got out of the habit

Getting up at 6.00am yesterday and setting off in the fog wasn't much fun, but fortunately although the fog stayed for almost all the journey south it was light enough for 50 - 70 mph to be on most of the time.....and of course there are long stretches of 50mph average speed sections - don't do much for the average speed, but (depressingly) it does reinforce the effect on fuel consumption. My 159 diesel normally gets around 35 mpg average - mostly town work dropping it to 32 or so, but over the last 600+ miles its been between 45 - 50mpg - obviously helped by pretty much non-stop motorway running, but the amount of time at 50mph rather than the usual indicated 80mph cruise does have its impact.....

Life's too short to stick to 50, though

My answer is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urhXCoRskFM
Old 25 Feb 2019, 19:15 (Ref:3886583)   #2059
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hmmm! Nice try, but must do better. 50%
Right then

1-First one,Aston Martin,maybe.Dunno that one
2-Scarab Chevrolet Mark 1 Sportscar
3-Maserati ??.One of the early pre 300s 450 and 250s perhaps
4-Something beginning with c.Forgetton the darn name.
4-Dunno
5-
6-Old Yeller

Dont know much about those cars.More a Pre 66 gt to group c person.Gave it a go.
Old 25 Feb 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3886591)   #2060
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Didn't realise they'd got down to 45rpm records in 59, then remembered that my sister had a small portable Dansette record player around then, and I bought my first singles only a few years later - about 64, I guess....
Old 25 Feb 2019, 22:02 (Ref:3886613)   #2061
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Must be over ten years ago there was an Imp owners luv gathering ery local to Delta HQ. There were thousands of them .We do need some rear suspension parts for a long term rebuild we have here so keep me posted please . The car is called “ Project X”. 1172 racer
Old 26 Feb 2019, 05:47 (Ref:3886659)   #2062
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Richard I guess the average speed radar thingy is a Brit' invention brought here much later. The complex and efficient system you have in London to "read" the plate numbers combined with a good software led our instances to adjust our number plates…
Sometimes 'ternet is too good. A smart ass thought it was great to mention that the fine for a wrong or missing plate was much lower than any speed ticket. We didn't need this kind of publicity… And yes I did it extensively.

How was RR?

Last edited by Gerard C; 26 Feb 2019 at 05:53.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 06:12 (Ref:3886661)   #2063
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Must be over ten years ago there was an Imp owners luv gathering local to Delta HQ. There were thousands of them
The mind boggles......

Young Will- I only did one better than you on Bob’s quiz, so well done. Your first answers were more accurate than those on your second attempt.

There was the odd curve-ball in there, and all were very rare, if not unique. The two sports cars you got correct were recognisable by the colour schemes, which always helps!
Old 26 Feb 2019, 08:25 (Ref:3886677)   #2064
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
The mind boggles......

Young Will- I only did one better than you on Bob’s quiz, so well done. Your first answers were more accurate than those on your second attempt.

There was the odd curve-ball in there, and all were very rare, if not unique. The two sports cars you got correct were recognisable by the colour schemes, which always helps!
Mike did pretty well getting a pass mark, 5/6 (no Viv not five shillings and sixpence).

Will did well for someone so young scoring 50% on some very difficult cars, - but at least he had a go - unlike the rest of you.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 08:40 (Ref:3886682)   #2065
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We were told we weren't allowed to

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Feb 2019, 08:42 (Ref:3886684)   #2066
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did anyone go to Race Retro? I missed it for the first time in many years. I've spoken to an exhibitor and he was reasonably upbeat, but what about from a visitor perspective?

Old 26 Feb 2019, 08:49 (Ref:3886685)   #2067
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
The mind boggles......

Oh well,yes a Old Yeller is an odd car,quite epic though.All rare,wouldn't expect anything less of Bob
Old 26 Feb 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3886690)   #2068
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks Peter.

Going back to the term ‘awesome’, the Lego Movie (and the new one) should put you off using it ever again.....
Thats massive, mate.

I learnt the 'massive' word in this context at a servo the other night. Put the petrol in, just cleaning the screen when this young bloke comes up to me and says 'massive wheels mate'.
Slightly bewildered I said, "Not really.... only 8's and 10's on the rear."

"Nah mate, they're massive, sweet, ace. Yeah, boner wheels mate. Luv 'em. Where d'ya get 'em? 'Ow much?"
It seems he liked the style of them.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3886701)   #2069
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

I pm’d Bob my answers.....

The car that I had no idea on initially was the unusual looking special in Pic 5. Bob gave me clue- it’s Irish. Any guesses?
Old 26 Feb 2019, 09:45 (Ref:3886702)   #2070
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

MM It was not an EU rule, merely a suggestion, you have my express permission to have a go at this one and the next.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 12:05 (Ref:3886726)   #2071
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Thats massive, mate.

I learnt the 'massive' word in this context at a servo the other night. Put the petrol in, just cleaning the screen when this young bloke comes up to me and says 'massive wheels mate'.

"Nah mate, they're massive, sweet, ace. Yeah, boner wheels mate. Luv 'em. Where d'ya get 'em? 'Ow much?"
Another word that seems to have changed meaning is ‘sick’ or is it ‘sic’.....

Don’t suppose many if any will remember Kenneth Horne’s ‘Round the Horne’ radio shows. ‘Julian and Sandy’ called everything good or nice ‘bona’... Classic comedy, sadly the like of which we don’t get nowadays. Here’s a clip.... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZL4rTEWU5c
Old 26 Feb 2019, 12:25 (Ref:3886728)   #2072
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Thats massive, mate.

I think the word "decent" is also used in the same context as "massive", "Sic", "sweet" etc
Old 26 Feb 2019, 12:32 (Ref:3886730)   #2073
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Another word that seems to have changed meaning is ‘sick’ or is it ‘sic’.....

Don’t suppose many if any will remember Kenneth Horne’s ‘Round the Horne’ radio shows. ‘Julian and Sandy’ called everything good or nice ‘bona’... Classic comedy, sadly the like of which we don’t get nowadays. Here’s a clip.... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZL4rTEWU5c
The double entendre show.

Often wondered how they managed to put that out on a Sunday lunchtime. Got some of the records. Always worth a listen. The phrase was "ooh bona" and you can take that any way you like. Oops!
Old 26 Feb 2019, 12:39 (Ref:3886733)   #2074
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The double entendre show.

Often wondered how they managed to put that out on a Sunday lunchtime. Got some of the records. Always worth a listen. The phrase was "ooh bona" and you can take that any way you like. Oops!
I can’t see the Beeb sanctioning it today! Easy to forget that the slang ‘language’ they used was real- Polari. If you’re interested in cultural history this is worth a read.... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_and_Sandy
Old 26 Feb 2019, 12:49 (Ref:3886736)   #2075
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There were a few good radio shows around at that time. The Sunday lunchtime comedy hour was, if old fashioned, worth staying in for. Football with my mates could wait.

Apart from Round the Horne, there was The Navy Lark and I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.

As one of our number often says "happy days".