Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Jul 2020, 13:35 (Ref:3985111)   #676
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
Don't forget,the racers pay the bills.
I’m not sure that’s the whole picture. It’s not cheap to spectate at MSV venues, even before eating and drinking. Those £ are for sure far less than it costs to go racing, but without spectator income MSV would have to charge more for track hire and thus entry costs would go up. It’s a single ecosystem of people who love motorsport, let’s not get into a competitor vs spectator dynamic

Speaking as someone who welled up with joy when I realised I could go to motorsport as soon as mid-July, you can be sure I’m not going to do anything to jeopordise the fragile return of the sport as I stand on the other side of the fence taking pictures.
Old 2 Jul 2020, 13:35 (Ref:3985112)   #677
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
And don't forget the people who support circuits, year in , year out , and over the years have spent a hell of a lot of money in the process , as well as contributing in other ways . In my case that includes marshalling , journalism , helping to run events and introducing many new people to the sport .

Nobody has a monopoly viewpoint and there is no need o patronise those who , for various reasons , don't race themselves . As a 'visitor ' I expect to be subject to precisely the same regime as everyone else , and to face the consequences if I don't.

God knows, my local circuit , Croft, often has more than enough security staff to quell a medium scale riot. An unlikely scenario , admittedly , among the bunch of old farts like me who make up most of the 'crowd' . Except when, saints preserve us , the gazebo toting BTCC army turns up for its annual BBQ and litterfest ...
Agree with you 100%
Old 2 Jul 2020, 15:04 (Ref:3985129)   #678
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And don't forget the people who support circuits, year in , year out , .....
Well said Coppice and John E. I wouldn't mind a £ for every circuit meeting I've attended over the past 50+ years! As for the BTCC brigade, don't even go there - the vast majority are there to watch panel bashing and paint swapping alone and wouldn't appreciate a good race if they saw one, anyone in possession of an awning/tent/gazebo should be charged quadruple for obstruction.
Btw, sad to hear that we won't be seeing the blue and white Anglia of RS.
Old 2 Jul 2020, 16:17 (Ref:3985138)   #679
rainbow
Rookie

rainbow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Brands it would be easy to keep entrants /public apart & have 2 bubbles.Just close the tunnel and the top entrance into the paddock.That way entrants can access inner track to watch if they want without being contaminated by the paying public!
Old 2 Jul 2020, 20:09 (Ref:3985179)   #680
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Nobody has a monopoly viewpoint and there is no need o patronise those who , for various reasons , don't race themselves . As a 'visitor ' I expect to be subject to precisely the same regime as everyone else , and to face the consequences if I don't.
i think the concern is that as someone who respects the guidelines on both sides of the fence you'll likely be in the minority at the bigger events. hopefully the significant changes f1 has made to be safe will normalise face coverings a bit for more people for example and make everyone consider bringing something to the circuit for the protection of circuit staff and their friends and family.

for anyone that has purchased tickets so far, are you being issued with any guidance or instructions regarding covid protocols?
Old 2 Jul 2020, 20:21 (Ref:3985183)   #681
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSV advice/visitor information here: http://www.msv.com/media/7315041/How...20meetings.pdf
I have a season ticket purchased last December so obviously no specific instructions.
Old 2 Jul 2020, 21:08 (Ref:3985190)   #682
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks. very disappointed there's no mention of face coverings.

please wear one. it's the easiest thing you can do to protect others in the unlikely event that you're asymptomatic. it's not infallible but it helps. the circuit staff who are concerned (i've spoken to a few, they exist) feel more comfortable with their own safety when you do even when they're wearing ppe. doesn't need to be a disposable one, buy one off etsy, amazon, asos, whatever your flavour is.

and don't forget to enjoy it. i swear motorsport got better while it was away
Old 3 Jul 2020, 02:10 (Ref:3985209)   #683
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I wouldn't mind a £ for every circuit meeting I've attended over the past 50+ years!
Would you have enough to buy an F1 grandstand ticket?

(Attempt to lighten the mood from the them and us creeping in )
Old 3 Jul 2020, 06:20 (Ref:3985224)   #684
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I reckon that'd be enough to pay the deposit for one. I still have the ticket for my first Grand Prix in 1971 - two quid and I think 50 p for a paddock pass .Which equates to £30 and £7-50 respectively . Last time I checked , the going price for a paddock pass was to possess at least B list sleb status , a surgically enhanced cleavage (preferably both ) and zero knowledge of motorsport - no room for we mere civilians.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 06:37 (Ref:3985226)   #685
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
I reckon that'd be enough to pay the deposit for one. I still have the ticket for my first Grand Prix in 1971 - two quid and I think 50 p for a paddock pass .Which equates to £30 and £7-50 respectively . Last time I checked , the going price for a paddock pass was to possess at least B list sleb status , a surgically enhanced cleavage (preferably both ) and zero knowledge of motorsport - no room for we mere civilians.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 07:17 (Ref:3985230)   #686
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
1971? That was my first GP too, & I think I still have the ticket also. I think I did all but one BGP up until 2001, but about half were on a press pass, which eased things a bit!
Old 3 Jul 2020, 17:42 (Ref:3985363)   #687
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Last time I checked , the going price for a paddock pass was to possess at least B list sleb status , a surgically enhanced cleavage (preferably both ) and zero knowledge of motorsport - no room for we mere civilians.
I must take umbrage at the last point: the surgically enhanced sleb's boyfriend has to have a Ferrari so they've at least heard of a manufacturer. Can't spell it, mind you.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 17:49 (Ref:3985366)   #688
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The realistic point is that it is going to take all forms of motorsport at least 2-3 years to get back to levels approaching 2019.

The revival will have to start in grass root club racing so cheaper forms of racing, C1 Club, CSCC, 750 Motorclub etc should be the first to benefit along with sprints and hillclimbs, racing that affords a much cheaper way of going racing.

Historic motorsport, with the Goodwood effect will, I think, be less affected but the senior level series entries are going to be low for many years to come. There will, as always, still be opportunities for pay drivers in teams but team sponsorship is going to be even harder to come by.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 18:13 (Ref:3985372)   #689
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
It's been pointed out that next weekend's HSCC meeting at Brands Hatch has one of the strongest entries for years.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 18:37 (Ref:3985379)   #690
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Powell View Post
The realistic point is that it is going to take all forms of motorsport at least 2-3 years to get back to levels approaching 2019.

Really? I run a kart team and we're 50% up on turnover compared to June last year with more enquiries too. Race meetings are sold out. So are hillclimbs and sprints. And these are just the first few events.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Jul 2020, 19:55 (Ref:3985389)   #691
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Really? I run a kart team and we're 50% up on turnover compared to June last year with more enquiries too. Race meetings are sold out. So are hillclimbs and sprints. And these are just the first few events.

Looks really positive. Entries for Combe, Snetts and Cadwell look pretty good this weekend. Hope everyone has a great and safe weekend. HSCC at Brands next week looks fantastic. Hope we can make the most of the season.

Glad to hear of the turnover increase Max, really good news.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 22:04 (Ref:3985415)   #692
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

I'm talking about next season. This year there were people geared up and ready to go, plus we're only just starting to go racing; with the lack of prior meetings this year everyone is ready and raring to go, but I still think the next couple of years are going to be sparse.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 22:39 (Ref:3985418)   #693
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think maybe it's too soon to say for certain. It is possible that the initial rush to get back out there racing could simply be a spike caused by people reacting to not having been able to do anything for months.

In that case, it could peter out once that initial flurry fades. Will it just be a 'honeymoon period'?

If the first few meetings planned are reporting higher than usual entries, and people like Max are seeing more than normal interest, it is somewhat difficult to understand how that would be sustainable long term. I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where the Covid situation could give a long term boost to motorsport.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone have any theories as to how the Covid situation could create an increase in competitor participation, at any level, beyond the short term? Considering that millions have lost their jobs during the lockdown, and millions more small business owners (who, can we assume, make up a fair chunk of the competitor demographic?) have had their incomes severely impacted, then it seems logical that this would have an overall negative effect on competitor numbers, in the medium and, possibly, long term.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but am not entirely convinced that I will be, sadly.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 07:43 (Ref:3985459)   #694
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I think maybe it's too soon to say for certain. It is possible that the initial rush to get back out there racing could simply be a spike caused by people reacting to not having been able to do anything for months.

In that case, it could peter out once that initial flurry fades. Will it just be a 'honeymoon period'?

If the first few meetings planned are reporting higher than usual entries, and people like Max are seeing more than normal interest, it is somewhat difficult to understand how that would be sustainable long term. I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where the Covid situation could give a long term boost to motorsport.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone have any theories as to how the Covid situation could create an increase in competitor participation, at any level, beyond the short term? Considering that millions have lost their jobs during the lockdown, and millions more small business owners (who, can we assume, make up a fair chunk of the competitor demographic?) have had their incomes severely impacted, then it seems logical that this would have an overall negative effect on competitor numbers, in the medium and, possibly, long term.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but am not entirely convinced that I will be, sadly.
Who knows but I fear you may be quite right. With less people racing though, we may see a big reduction in the number of meetings and in the silly number of competing championships and events which have damaged the sport over the last few years. A period of consolidation may mean fewer, but better, events with full grids of true enthusiasts in future.. Which I would think of as a good thing. But I will enjoy the next couple of months while it lasts. Brands will be fantastic if everyone entered makes it out on the track.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 11:08 (Ref:3985496)   #695
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just looked at Cadwell on TSL - 22 entrants in the Junior Saloon Car Cup...15 in the 2CV championship, tho their qualy has been redflagged after 1 lap.... Not sure how those entry levels compare to "normal"?

And looking at Snetterton - Entries in the low to high 30s for each of MSVT's Supercup, Trackday Championship and Track Attack Race Club series....so pretty fair, tho not full.

Last edited by Lancsbreaker; 4 Jul 2020 at 11:14.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 16:41 (Ref:3985604)   #696
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
There will be a bit of pent up demand from those who haven't been able to get on track until now, they will have also saved money by not competing.

Covid-19 is bound to have some impact on discretionary spend (which spending money on motor racing as an owner or a brand sponsor) and actually because it has impacted on almost all areas of business, some of the normally insulated well off may be impacted. Even luxury brands will take a hit.

Personally I think some of the bigger classic events will need to trim their expectation and cut some of the non-track elements, arguably some have got too big and too costly and thereby risky. Perhaps some of the expectation for 'bigger and better' and each year being 'record breaking' needs to be tempered.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 16:54 (Ref:3985612)   #697
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
There are bound to be a lot of folk badly hit, either losing jobs, reduced income etc. It will be at all levels of wealth. I suspect the kids with rich daddies hoping to be the next George Russell will be fewer as will the older businessmen who do sports and GT plus perhaps historic and use preparation firms and pay drivers.
On the other hand there are many folk whose income has been unaffected but due to the virus have greatly reduced their spending. I admit to be in that category. Since early March I've only filled the car up once, we've had no days or meals out and our spring holiday was cancelled. I am sure there are many in the same boat. However I think some folk will see how much they have saved and/or have taken up another hobby that is less costly.
As a speed clerk and on the HC&S Committee, there will be far fewer speed events this year. The permanent venues like Prescott, Shelsley and Harwood are running a reduced programme, mainly because they have bills to pay, bit it will be difficult and there will be fewer entries allowed. The casual venues will have a much tougher job in trying to fit in with the new rules and many are not bothering, but in some cases it is the venue owner who is saying know. There is also a real danger that the stoppage could be permanent.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 17:40 (Ref:3985630)   #698
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Pubs , barbers and restaurants open today but BARC tell me that the Harewood hillclimb on 2 August is closed to spectators . It is on top of a windy hill , it is very easy to socially distance over extensive spectator areas and it rarely gets big crowds - what the hell is going on ?
Old 4 Jul 2020, 17:54 (Ref:3985635)   #699
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Richard I think 15 2CV is rather low. Normally there's more but I guess you saw no foreigners, French competitors for instance.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 18:18 (Ref:3985645)   #700
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The permanent venues like Prescott, Shelsley and Harwood are running a reduced programme, mainly because they have bills to pay, bit it will be difficult and there will be fewer entries allowed. The casual venues will have a much tougher job in trying to fit in with the new rules and many are not bothering, but in some cases it is the venue owner who is saying know. There is also a real danger that the stoppage could be permanent.[/QUOTE]

At Mallory we've found that the Trackdays (mainly bikes) are going very well, 4 extra days were added in June and 2 more in July. Circuits make more money from these than Race Days. At the moment it's even better due to the lack of 'add on people' friends, family and even spectators, who leave litter etc that then needs to be cleared up.