Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Apr 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2188407)   #1
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race stoppages - are they all necessary? (plus a bit of CSCC, Brands Hatch)

Another great weekend's racing run by the CSCC team - thanks Richards Culverhouse and Wos plus all the backroom boys and girls for a great event with a really eclectic mixture of races. The Swinging Sixties that I was happy to be a part of fielded a fantastic mixture of cars from Yank tanks to Brit tiddlers - and who'd have thought a Spitfire would get pole - well done Jon Thomason! Full grids and full fat excitement, roll on Mallory Park.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2188411)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It's a shame the Thoroughbreds got tucked up with the race stoppage when other races used the pace car for similar incidents but then again I suppose that's the price you pay when you are supporting the organisers own series'.
BTW, nice to meet you today Dave.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2188442)   #3
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How'd you get on Dave?

with hindsight I should have entered............would have been cheaper than staying at home.......a car rolled down our road and into my tow vehicle!!
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2188557)   #4
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Wayne,

We qualified 19th out of 38, finished 10th and got class win and class fastest lap - sorry to hear about the wayward car!

Hi Tim,

Yes it was a pleasure to put a face to an avatar! Unlucky with the red flags, I guess there's always a timetable to keep to.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2188598)   #5
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good stuff, 2 out of 2 class wins.

See you at Mallory
Old 28 Apr 2008, 07:46 (Ref:2188890)   #6
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
It's a shame the Thoroughbreds got tucked up with the race stoppage when other races used the pace car for similar incidents but then again I suppose that's the price you pay when you are supporting the organisers own series'.
We really do get stiffed at these clubby meets - no reason that race should have been stopped in the first place a yellow there would have been fine, or it woul have have been easy to just wave on through the backmarkers up to the first car (pull the car out) and get straight back on with it.

Mega RACE though

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Apr 2008 at 08:21.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2188892)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the very reasons I dont bother with sprint races these days.!
Old 28 Apr 2008, 08:20 (Ref:2188922)   #8
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
One of the very reasons I dont bother with sprint races these days.!
I know what you mean - think I will do a few more longer ones as time goes on. But you can't beat the 100% aggression needed in a Sprint race, has to be a couple of notches back in a long one.

Plus if some (you main opposition) is going away - if will be even more frustrating to see them totally disappear.

Results - http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=club&...&eventid=81764

Restart and I might at least have been able to take it to the leader. Pity my camera battery crapped out - would have been an absolute corker.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2188951)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
one reason why I don't do sprints, some people take aggression in the wrong context . . . . you didn'r get the class win at the top of PAddock Hill bend on the first lap did you . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison
I know what you mean - think I will do a few more longer ones as time goes on. But you can't beat the 100% aggression needed in a Sprint race, has to be a couple of notches back in a long one.

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Apr 2008 at 12:53.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2188975)   #10
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
one reason why I don't do sprints, some people take aggression in the wrong context . . . . you didn't get the class win at the top of Paddock Hill bend on the first lap did you . . .
I did not get the class win (the winner was not in class B), was in the same class C as me. As were all the first 3

Lets just say controlled aggression. You really have to push it in those opening laps on a Sprint race. Especially against most of the cars ahead of you being in more powerfull cars.

Would love to see a video of the race if anyone has one. Thought we held of the Mogs well

Fun to interview the first 3 in the race rather than the drive from first in each class as we were having a good scrap. That D-type has some stomp, my the 6 has mega brakes Need a few more horses to get with my Nemesis (No.1). Will be picking them up in a months time............

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Apr 2008 at 12:55.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2189098)   #11
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
NiG_21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's always a shame to have a race stop this way, but please don't think we were 'stiffing' you in any way... the use of the safety car in a race is up to your championship organiser.

I was in the pits while the throughbreds were racing so have no-idea what the incident was but decisions on race stoppages aren't made by the orgainsing club.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2189115)   #12
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiG_21
It's always a shame to have a race stop this way, but please don't think we were 'stiffing' you in any way... the use of the safety car in a race is up to your championship organiser.

I was in the pits while the throughbreds were racing so have no-idea what the incident was but decisions on race stoppages aren't made by the orgainsing club.
OK - let me reword that.

The people making the decision stiffed us not the organising club. We sat on the grid for 5 minutes. When they could have either had that car out of there by then and restarted it. Or just left it they in the first place (the car was a MG high up the Hill Paddock just at the top of the gravel trap) and put som yellows out.

No bloody need to stop it. Club racers are constantly getting stiffed JUST past half way in meetings.

I went off a few years back at Donnington (hold my hand up), at the first corner at Donnington on about lap 4 or something way before half distance but the kept it running a few more laps with my car in th gravel, UNTIL just past half the number of required laps and then through teh red flags and then obviously did not restart it. If that is not shafting people out of our hard earn money I do not know what is. They were just to dame lazy to stop it early and drag me out and restart it a few laps shorter.

It is endemic in UK Club Motorsport now.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2189180)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Safety Car decision was the CoC's,it is one reason why he/she is present.
I think that the answer to this is in the feact that Circuit Hire is so high that the organising Club still has the rest of the days program to consider,five minuits delay on say,three races and you can kiss one sprint race goodbye!!

Last edited by terence; 28 Apr 2008 at 13:18.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 13:23 (Ref:2189188)   #14
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I thought the Safety Car decision was the CoC's,it is one reason why he/she is present......
Quite true Terry, but you can only use it if its in the Supplimentary Regs; if it is in the supplimentary regs then its deployment is at the discretion of the C.O.C
Old 28 Apr 2008, 13:31 (Ref:2189194)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Notice the "he/she" bit?
Old 28 Apr 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2189198)   #16
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Notice the "he/she" bit?
ohhh thank you !
Old 28 Apr 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2189200)   #17
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
He is a he/she - OMG
Old 28 Apr 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2189204)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Safety car decisions and red flag decisions are made by the tower - marshals can request, but final decision is with the CoC.

This information should be in your rule book. Along with details of how to lodge a complaint if you are unhappy with a decision.

Unless something has changed, I don't believe ranting on Tenths is part of the process.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2189220)   #19
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
Safety car decisions and red flag decisions are made by the tower - marshals can request, but final decision is with the CoC.

This information should be in your rule book. Along with details of how to lodge a complaint if you are unhappy with a decision.

Unless something has changed, I don't believe ranting on Tenths is part of the process.
How is this Ranting? This is a Discussion on a Discussion Forum!

Next to no one will ever bother to lodge an appeal at a clubbie race meeting (because it it generally pointless). If it had happened to you, you would be a tad cheesed off.

It was a Fantastic race, and was shaping up to be an absolute cliff hanger with the 2 or 3 Mogs just about catching us in 2nd and 3rd but so very little in there times as to have been able to breeze past.

Also I now have found ou the spinner had done the same thing a few laps earlier in the same place!

Do you actually Race?
Old 28 Apr 2008, 14:14 (Ref:2189224)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jon, EP is a marshal, and also one of the owners/administrators of this site which we so much enjoy!
Old 28 Apr 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2189226)   #21
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
he knows that - you only have to read what he wrote elsewhere
Old 28 Apr 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2189228)   #22
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well looked like a rant to me.

As for actually racing, no. I'm one of those lazy people who doesn't bother dragging your car out of a gravel trap and I arrived in this thread as a result of people complaining about your post.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2189232)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin

Sorry to disagree with you Terri but ranting on TT is part of the process, we even have the appropriate tags. If enough people complain either via media such as this (we all know the organisers, CoCs and other watch Ten Tenths) or write letters then nothing will change and abuse of regs by officials will continue.
As for a safety car I admit it wasn't in our regs so that was a pointless statement on my part but when you pay all that money and don't get reasonable value then I feel a rant is not out of order.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 14:34 (Ref:2189238)   #24
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This isn't really going to make the OP feel any better. But its worth adding if someone can confirm it.

I was at the meeting (competing) but missed that race... From what I heard, the car that dropped it into the gravel had indeed gone off earlier in the race at the same spot... but the second time he did it, he actually managed to avoid the gravel initially, only to then beach it properly by reversing the car into the gravel accidentally when trying to get away again. Nice one.

I did however see another race earlier in the day suffer another strange red flag. From what I could see, a car went backwards into the gravel at Druids, the marshalls yellow flagged for 2 laps, then withdrew the yellows for 1 clear lap, then brought out the reds at 75% distance. No other incidents in sight. It seemed distinctly fishy.

Please understand that this is just what I heard and saw... nothing more. If there were genuine reasons behind either of these decisions then I stand corrected.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2189246)   #25
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Sorry to disagree with you Terri but ranting on TT is part of the process, we even have the appropriate tags. If enough people complain either via media such as this (we all know the organisers, CoCs and other watch Ten Tenths) or write letters then nothing will change and abuse of regs by officials will continue.
As for a safety car I admit it wasn't in our regs so that was a pointless statement on my part but when you pay all that money and don't get reasonable value then I feel a rant is not out of order.
I have no issue with a rant - I'm simply saying that if you actually want something done about it, you have to raise it via official channels. Expecting things to change because you have a rant on Tenths is a waste of everyone's time - it's nothing different than has been said in any other thread when this kind of thing comes up.

You also need to have a clear view of who is responsible for decisions that are made instead of just announcing everyone is lazy and/or out to deliberately cheat you.

I agree that if someone has had their race cut unnecessarily short or cancelled - for whatever reason - then they're entitled to be unhappy about that. Racing costs too much to find that you've lost out for no good reason. But you don't have to lodge an appeal to ask the CoC why the decision was made - you just have to ask nicely.

Shouting and stamping and accusing people of laziness and generalised incompetence is not going to achieve anything but getting people's backs up.

Maybe it was a bad call - maybe not. I wasn't there, so I don't know. But if I did want to know, I'd ask the person who made the call what the basis for their decision was. If I wasn't satisfied with the answer, then I'd potentially be having a gripe about it.

Case in point - a shortened race at Kirkistown was raised in one of the other forums a while back. I said the same thing then. I know that someone did approach the CoC who took the comments on board and as a result, those affected received a free entry to the next race at that circuit. Had it been left that all people did was gripe here, that wouldn't have happened.

Tags
classic sports car club, cscc