Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Sep 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1415086)   #26
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the docs khaman ghia was sports 2000 based car with 1 litre then 1300 bda in it later
before that he had maguire stilleto
1st maguire imp was around 1979 or 80 he had done minis prior to the imps also did 1 skoda and 2 esprit gt cars before he went on to do Gp 1 /2 BTCC cars golf gti and bmw m3 i recall
1st space frame imp was jeff ward in 76
Old 23 Sep 2005, 22:25 (Ref:1415138)   #27
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saloon Racers From The Past!

Hey Guy's this could run and run! What have I started Ha,ha. Does anyone remember these drivers? They were racing when I first began in 1964! Then the last I heard or saw of them was in the late sixties. LAURIE HICKMAN Ford Anglia. White car, and I seem to recall Castle Service Station of Dudley on the side. Then there was a guy I raced against IAN MITCHELL Team Charles Clarke from Wolverhampton. Someone we mentioned earlier MIKE BERMAN The Infamous BERPOP creator. Mike is still going strong, and runs a Theatrical Costume business in Liecester. Incidentally I shall be returning to Mallory Park this Sunday, not to race I hasten to add (although if anyones offering, no? ah, well) I havn't been back since I retired from the game in 1975, so am really looking forward to seeing the old place once again. I was speaking with Ron Overend earlier, he tells me he too retired from Mallory last year and it's now owned by BARC. Great to talk about those great innovative, pioneering hybrid racing adventurous days! Gerry "SWISH" Taylor.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 07:48 (Ref:1415245)   #28
2F-001
Rookie

2F-001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, driftwood. My memories of the Karmann are obviously a little sketchier than I thought: I have some magazine articles on it stashed away somewhere - I should have sought these out first! So was the earlier 1 litre engine an Imp, or are you suggesting it was a small BD-derivative (like a BDJ)? Since he had previously raced Imps, did I just assume this was originally Imp-motivated? I had forgotten the 1.3 phase - but I don't think I ever saw it run in that guise.

The 'Team Charles Clark' mini and the Berpop are among my earliest memories of Mallory. Although I'd attended a couple of times before that, I think, they were the 'stand out' cars from those times (apart from Lotus 7s - still a credible Clubmans car then - which became an enduring passion).

--------
tony p

Last edited by 2F-001; 24 Sep 2005 at 07:51. Reason: spelling!
Old 24 Sep 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1415370)   #29
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John Wales also raced the Berpop and I also remember him winning the small saloons race at Mallory in an NSU - I reckon 1969?
Old 24 Sep 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1415530)   #30
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
karman ghia was 1 litre imp powered then 1300 bda later car was bit too heavey for the 1 litre lump
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1416748)   #31
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony, the Mini-brothers from Leicester were the Edges, David & Ray.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3210681)   #32
nikkilong
Rookie

nikkilong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
Hi Everyone! My name is Gerry Taylor, and during the 1970s I raced a Ford Anglia for Swish Curtain Tracks Team Racing. I am now 65! But look back fondly on those early days of Saloon Car Racing. Amongst my fellow competitors were the stand-out names of Gerry Marshall and Peter Baldwin and the like, but one guy who raced against me was RICHARD LONG. He came from Stevenage in Hertfordshire, and we had some really good dices at Snetterton and at Silverstone, where we both set a new class lap record of 1.8secs. Does anyone know what happened to Richard? As I would love to get in touch again. Many Thanks, Gerry. oh, Hi to anyone that remembers me and the Anglebox.
Hi my father in law is Richard Long. He does indeed live on the Isle of Wight. My husband had told him about this forum and he will be in contact soon
Old 25 Feb 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3210710)   #33
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkilong View Post
Hi my father in law is Richard Long. He does indeed live on the Isle of Wight. My husband had told him about this forum and he will be in contact soon
Hi Nikki, welcome to he forum.
I note that Gerry posted this in 2005 so it might take a while for him to wake up
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Feb 2013, 23:30 (Ref:3210789)   #34
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm Awake Gordon!

Hi Gordon, sorry I have been absent for some time, bet you all thought the old buggers kicked the bucket....well, no I am still here, just been busy working that's all.
So, Richard (Rupert the bear) Long is still among the living, brilliant news.
I received a nice e-mail from Nikki this evening, and Richard will have my address AND the ten-tenths details, so lets hope he joins in the banter.
Thanks guys.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3211262)   #35
rupert the bear
Rookie

rupert the bear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rupert bear continued

Hi Jerry you old dog,my son found this site and got in touch ,memories of one of the happiest times of my life came flooding back,Well this is me to date, we followed the Imp trend ,a Richard Wallinger space frame was built and we used,Andy Chessman engines,fron greetham engineering,the result was awesom we fould we had the legs of most cars in all the circuirts we went to ,many came to Silverston with high hopes and left disapointed,when the MOD sprts were finally finished I like Iam sure many of us were gutted,I finally moved to the IOW it seemed a good idea at the time !!!!!! anyway i then got involved in Porsches and ended up competing in the UK and EUROPE IN A GT3 RSR for 6 seasons it was a fab car ,but at that level its all money and OK YAR Types.anyway Ihad just finished a 6 hr event at SPA and basically fell out the car completely knackered I then decided enough was enough ,I am now a member of the boring British public,not my scene so who knows, Getting back to the great 70`s and 80`s i am still in contact with Dave Pike my mech ..."mr mayhem and chaos " we had some fantastic years never to be forgotten , it always puzzled me how you stuck on my tail in an Anglia made from old Swish curtain tracks..........Do you remember how we each used to wind up the Motoring News about abusing each other ,he duely printed it and it ended up with two set of fans screeming in the stands...great,I can honestly say I MISSED SO MANY FRIENDS,in the end,especially my old mucca Gerry Talor,my best wishes to u all..Richard Long,...please note I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REPLY TO ANYONE QUICKLY AT PRESENT AS MY bull dog ..WINSTON has just had a tantrum and eat my laptop porsche.driver@hotmail.co.uk
Old 27 Feb 2013, 06:06 (Ref:3211497)   #36
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and Smokin John Rhodes...

Welcome Gerry...you should get yourself along to the Goodwood Revival...it would be like "old pals week" for someone like you
Old 4 Mar 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3213862)   #37
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Old Veterans Unite!

Hi everyone! I had a lovely letter from Richard Long today, and will answer it as soon as I get a sec' . I must say that memories come flooding back when I hear what Richard says about those wonderful EARLY days. To clarify what he was on about, when he said about winding each other up, and the fans taking sides. It was a set-up between us, and we would do all sorts of things to wind up the fans, and the press. OK, so we were young, and out for publicity, which we got in shed loads, but it got a bit out of hand, when someone that ran a store, stopped stocking my sponsors products because of of something I said, that got printed in MN.....BUT! fortunately for me, SWISH saw this as great publicity. I don't know if anyone recalls the sort of stuff we got up to? Of course the Autosport and Motoring News loved it, and we had the crowds taking sides, which was brilliant, and if the truths known both Richard and I loved every minute of it. Happy days. Just to remind you of what we looked like back then, I will attempt to put a picture on the page. Bless you Richard, thanks for the memories of a fantastic time in my racing career. Gerry.
Attached Thumbnails
Down the Devils Elbow Mallory Park 1972.jpg  
Old 4 Mar 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3213864)   #38
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Welcome Gerry...you should get yourself along to the Goodwood Revival...it would be like "old pals week" for someone like you
I would love to, and perhaps that would be a good day to meet up with my old friends. Cheers matey. (better do it this year, as I am now 127! ha,ha)
Old 19 Apr 2013, 09:32 (Ref:3236559)   #39
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would love to, and perhaps that would be a good day to meet up with my old friends. Cheers matey. (better do it this year, as I am now 127! ha,ha)
Cheers...and you don't look a day over 110!
Old 19 Apr 2013, 10:17 (Ref:3236578)   #40
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Two years younger than Gordon then!
Old 19 Apr 2013, 12:20 (Ref:3236627)   #41
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Two years younger than Gordon then!
Dammed cheek, you're only as old as the woman you feel !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Apr 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3236632)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Dammed cheek, you're only as old as the woman you feel !

Old 15 Nov 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3863503)   #43
Clifford Watts
Rookie

Clifford Watts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
why was richard long known as rupert?
he raced the anglia then had space frame imp ( i cant recall if he was the 1st to do so or jeff ward had that honour) its just about the time i was allowed to go racing nearly before my time !!
Homewood had the 1st Davrian floor pan Imp and raced what was the last Frazer imp in kent messenger series ( according to AS article i read)
Jeff was first, he had Richard Wallinger from Burbage build him one, (which I later bought) Richard then got him to build him one , Dick Wallinger (now living in Portugal) was very creative and decided that the imp for Richard would handle better with a longer wheelbase ! After several events the Buzz had it it that Richards imp was to be protested at Silverstone, sure enough it was, but after an all night "cut and shut" it was declared legal, at which point Richards crew donned t shirts stating we are legal, what a brilliant bunch of characters, Cliff Watts
Old 1 Jul 2022, 19:18 (Ref:4117749)   #44
stevegr
Rookie

stevegr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

hi guys is richard long still around went to a few races with him. i worked for greetham engineering at the time gas flowing the heads.
Old 14 Jul 2022, 10:39 (Ref:4119495)   #45
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Hi Nikki, welcome to he forum.
I note that Gerry posted this in 2005 so it might take a while for him to wake up
...Just woke up Gordon..... Isle of Weight eh.........Zzzzzzzz GT