Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Oct 2012, 03:18 (Ref:3157294)   #51
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He needs to spend more on his team period.

It's easy to see why he likes to blood in the young drivers; they cost less.

Sure, he can wear a few bent panels, but if they get up score some results, great!
Old 25 Oct 2012, 06:23 (Ref:3157317)   #52
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_a View Post
The 29-year-old has won three championships, 53 race wins and three Bathurst 1000 victories in his six years with the team. And despite rumours linking him with a move overseas, he says he’s committed to V8 Supercars having put pen to paper on a new three-year deal with Triple Eight starting from 2013.

http://www.v8x.com.au/index.php/9-ne...er-three-years
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
?? He won't even be 40
If you believe V8X magazine, Lowndes has discovered the fountain of youth ... they have him at 29 years old! Lets see ... that would make him 11 years old when he made that great move around JB in '94

I reckon it gets down to the individual. I think Craig has shown this year that he still "has it", and is worth another contract. The younger Courtney though, might be up against it for a renewal in V8SC.
Old 27 Oct 2012, 11:44 (Ref:3158430)   #53
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look at Courtney since he joined the circus, he came into Stones when they were hot but to follow in the footsteps of Ambrose, had to get used to the cars. Ingall had still just won the championship so one would guess that the setup was more for Ambrose and Ingall, not Courtney.

Move to DJR and he finds his feet, eventually they find the sweetspot with the 888 car and he lifts to win the championship, even if some say it was one that Whincup lost, a win is a win (as Rick Kelly).

Move to HRT and he has to again work his way into a new car, big hopes of carrying the #1 and drive a car not 100% suited to him. And anyone here knows (or reads) that the HRT machines are only set up for the number one gun (Skaife, Tander). Even Ingall realised this when he wanted the team to set his car up for him of late, and see how his form improved.

Overall Courtney has had higher expectations put upon him than any other driver in the championship over the last 5 or so years.

And if FPR pick Percat over Mostert they are insane....Chaz has true talent and while he may not be the poster boy the bigger teams want, I feel he has developed well and should be rewarded with the 4th FPR seat.
Old 27 Oct 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3158646)   #54
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
MotoGP star Casey Stoner in talks with V8 Supercars

to run a development series car in 2013 and then who knows in 2014
Old 21 Nov 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3169313)   #55
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it to early for a 2014 Silly Season.

Could we see Marcos Ambrose back in a V8 Supercar

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sp...-1226521266212

I would look forward to that
Old 21 Nov 2012, 05:21 (Ref:3169315)   #56
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle View Post
Is it to early for a 2014 Silly Season.

Could we see Marcos Ambrose back in a V8 Supercar

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sp...-1226521266212

I would look forward to that
I was waiting to see how long it took for someone to catch onto this..Lol Not long. Maybe wishful thinking UNLESS he wants to return home to Sunny Tasmania
Old 21 Nov 2012, 05:24 (Ref:3169316)   #57
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Would be cool to see him come back and Beat Whincup
Old 21 Nov 2012, 05:30 (Ref:3169318)   #58
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Would be cool to see him come back and Beat Whincup
It would have been good to see him back in an SBR Pirtek backed Ford
Old 21 Nov 2012, 05:37 (Ref:3169319)   #59
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle View Post
It would have been good to see him back in an SBR Pirtek backed Ford

Same thing
Old 21 Nov 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3169558)   #60
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ambrose won't come back here

Where else can you be a Rank 10-20 driver and earn $4.8M?

Mike

18--Marcos Ambrose950-1450362138 4,767,870
Old 21 Nov 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3169574)   #61
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not to mention what if he did a Schumacher and stunk?
Old 21 Nov 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3169590)   #62
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmciau View Post
Ambrose won't come back here

Where else can you be a Rank 10-20 driver and earn $4.8M?

Mike
I would have thought the earnings would firstly go to the team owner, not the driver, but I'm sure he's making much more money in NASCAR than he would in V8 Supercar.

However, he rates at the bottom of the list of drivers who compete in all the races; not a good look. He is kidding himself if he thinks he's going to win an oval race other than by fortunate strategy and even then he hasn't come even close so far. If he runs well at the beginning of the race you just have to wait long enough for him to be swamped by the end of the race.

Racing in V8 Supercar in 2014 would give him a chance to win more than one or two races a year, live near family and earn some pocket money. Although he would have to cope with crying himself to sleep at night knowing that he is only going to earn a mere $1 million a year....
Old 22 Nov 2012, 00:02 (Ref:3169630)   #63
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
Racing in V8 Supercar in 2014 would give him a chance to win more than one or two races a year, live near family and earn some pocket money. Although he would have to cope with crying himself to sleep at night knowing that he is only going to earn a mere $1 million a year....
I guess there's every chance he could come back for reasons of family/kids, and he could definitely earn a living in V8s, but I think $1m a year is a massive stretch, especially in the current financial climate.

Put it this way, FPR are supposedly only getting $600k per car for title sponsorship, now the REC income is substantial, but where are they going to find $1m to pay Marcos?

I think its a fairy tale really.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3169644)   #64
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I guess there's every chance he could come back for reasons of family/kids, and he could definitely earn a living in V8s, but I think $1m a year is a massive stretch, especially in the current financial climate.

Put it this way, FPR are supposedly only getting $600k per car for title sponsorship, now the REC income is substantial, but where are they going to find $1m to pay Marcos?

I think its a fairy tale really.
I rounded the figure to the nearest million dollars. I agree it could be a stretch in this environment, although James Courtney allegedly got more than $1 million only a couple of years ago.

It would have to be several hundreds of thousands of dollars though.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3169649)   #65
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
I would think $300k + endorsements would be about the money in today's climate.

Whatever you say about Marcos he is no Lowndes (from a fan/marketing standpoint), and he wasn't even in his day.

I am sure SBR would love to have him back - could be bring a sponsor out of the woodwork?

Stanley is a great brand but I don't know they are big enough for a car, but they do have history in the sport with Kmart Racing.

With lots of sponsors pulling out and perhaps questions over the TV package its not a good time to try to bring back a star with high expectations.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 03:35 (Ref:3169688)   #66
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I rounded the figure to the nearest million dollars. I agree it could be a stretch in this environment, although James Courtney allegedly got more than $1 million only a couple of years ago.

Lowndes, Whincup, Tander & Courtney are all on more than $1m per year.

Quote:

Whatever you say about Marcos he is no Lowndes (from a fan/marketing standpoint), and he wasn't even in his day.

I am sure SBR would love to have him back - could be bring a sponsor out of the woodwork?

Stanley is a great brand but I don't know they are big enough for a car, but they do have history in the sport with Kmart Racing.

With lots of sponsors pulling out and perhaps questions over the TV package its not a good time to try to bring back a star with high expectations.
Stanley is currently part of the Supercheap Auto stable of supplier-sponsors.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 03:43 (Ref:3169690)   #67
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:

I think that figure seems extremely pessimistic.

No, he was no Lowndes, he was a Whincup in V8 Supercar, if not more. Marcos was/is every bit as good as him.

I would have thought bringing a star back into V8 Supercar now would be ideal for investors, but call me old-fashioned. I think he is far more marketable than any other alternatives.

In particular he would be ideal for gaining a foothold in the North American market.

Last edited by Chris - Melb; 22 Nov 2012 at 03:49.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 04:32 (Ref:3169696)   #68
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
No, he was no Lowndes, he was a Whincup if not more. Marcos was/is every bit as good as him.
I'm speaking of marketability not driving talent.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 05:51 (Ref:3169702)   #69
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He is kidding himself if he thinks he's going to win an oval race other than by fortunate strategy and even then he hasn't come even close so far. If he runs well at the beginning of the race you just have to wait long enough for him to be swamped by the end of the race.
It is an observation of mine that only Americans could making going around in circles complex...
Old 22 Nov 2012, 08:14 (Ref:3169714)   #70
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
It is an observation of mine that only Americans could making going around in circles complex...
It certainly seems to be a black art.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3169732)   #71
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

However, he rates at the bottom of the list of drivers who compete in all the races; not a good look.

Dont know where you got your figures from, he is not at the bottom of drivers who contested all 36 races this year. There are a number behind him. If you go to the owners points for the cars it will show where that particular car finished as far as owners points. Some cars had drivers sharing the car during the year. Car 9 was 19 out of the 40 cars that did all 36 races.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3169927)   #72
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I would have thought the earnings would firstly go to the team owner, not the driver, but I'm sure he's making much more money in NASCAR than he would in V8 Supercar.

However, he rates at the bottom of the list of drivers who compete in all the races; not a good look. He is kidding himself if he thinks he's going to win an oval race other than by fortunate strategy and even then he hasn't come even close so far. If he runs well at the beginning of the race you just have to wait long enough for him to be swamped by the end of the race.

Drivers typically get around 40% of the prize money. Plus they'll get a salary, endorsements and a cut of merchandising. I wouldn't be surprised if he was pulling in $8-$10 million a year total.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3170006)   #73
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
Dont know where you got your figures from, he is not at the bottom of drivers who contested all 36 races this year. There are a number behind him. If you go to the owners points for the cars it will show where that particular car finished as far as owners points. Some cars had drivers sharing the car during the year. Car 9 was 19 out of the 40 cars that did all 36 races.
I'm not sure that finishing ahead of part-time drivers is anything to crow about; do you?

In the four years he's been full-time in the Cup Series he has finished 18, 26, 19 and 18 in the standings. If you took out the two non-oval races he would be even lower.

He is either not an oval driver, doesn't have the right engineers or the right team/s. I suspect the former when you consider how well Kurt Busch went earlier this year in a low buck team with old cars.

I would have thought racing V8 Supercars in 2014 would be less soul destroying, albeit bank balance destroying.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 23:12 (Ref:3170020)   #74
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Actually they have made some crew changes on his car and he has gained late season from that
Old 23 Nov 2012, 01:50 (Ref:3170049)   #75
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Chris - Melb;3170006]I'm not sure that finishing ahead of part-time drivers is anything to crow about; do you?

In the four years he's been full-time in the Cup Series he has finished 18, 26, 19 and 18 in the standings. If you took out the two non-oval races he would be even lower.

You said that he finished last of the full time drivers. That is incorrect, as there were 9 or ten behind him of drivers that did the whole series. I really dont care one way or another, just that it is good to see an Aussie in the series. I can understand what Ambrose first said, the first time he went to Bristol to a night race he was hooked. You may have been, but if not, if you ever get the chance go to see the night race at Bristol put it on your bucket list.