Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Oct 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2781218)   #26
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
That reminds me of my very first race. It was Snetterton with the CSCC and my fuel tank had cracked ever so slightly during practice along the top edge.

My very experienced team mate told me we could get it 'repaired' with some ally strip and some epoxy resin (and an acoustic damper in the form of a Pipercross foam tank taped to the side of the fuel tank) and we'd would be all good for the race. We had the ally strip and just needed to borrow some epoxy from a friendly competitor.
We had an MGB tank do that once, leaking fuel on the grid. Rushed off, Araldited on a 5p piece (back in the old days, when 5ps were a decent size LOL), sprayed it with "coagulent paint" (ahem) and were back on the grid for the next race. Scrute said "I don't want to know what you've done..."

That 5p piece was still on the car when we sold it. Probably doubled its value if truth be known.......try and do that with a "modern", another feather in the cap for historics.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 19:41 (Ref:2781283)   #27
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I hope Jim still keeps the Galaxie.Mustang is going to add to his collection.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2781307)   #28
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
We had an MGB tank do that once, leaking fuel on the grid. Rushed off, Araldited on a 5p piece (back in the old days, when 5ps were a decent size LOL), sprayed it with "coagulent paint" (ahem) and were back on the grid for the next race. Scrute said "I don't want to know what you've done..."

That 5p piece was still on the car when we sold it. Probably doubled its value if truth be known.......try and do that with a "modern", another feather in the cap for historics.
Interesting.

One I heard a few weeks ago, when a neighbour had an urgent need to fix a weeping seam on a bike tank, was to use a bar of soap and 'mould' some onto the section that is leaking. The suggestion came from a former AA (or RAC, not sure which) patrolman. He said he had, many years ago, made such a temporary repair on one of his own cars that, like the 5p piece fix, was still in place some years later when he sold the car.

Anyone else heard of that?
Old 27 Oct 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2781334)   #29
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Interesting.

a weeping seam on a bike tank, was to use a bar of soap and 'mould' some onto the section that is leaking. , like the 5p piece fix, was still in place some years later when he sold the car.

Anyone else heard of that?
half of Africa keeps fueltanks alive witht his technique. its like smearing butter (dutch butter) on your windshield when your wipers dont work, just try it once!!!!!!!!
Old 27 Oct 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2781336)   #30
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh wrong thread, for repairing fueltanks, Why racing historics ? Can you still buy a descent beautifull rear wheel driven real racecar these days??? So thats why I stick with the classic ones. And then the people are way nicer allthough many of them get to serious about their hobby these days!
Old 27 Oct 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2781339)   #31
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I said a small crack, it let 30 litres of fuel go on my first ever competitive lap, most of it on the exhaust according to the marshalls. Not a great start.....very disturbing for everyone, not least the driver!!

The pit marshalls were very very interested when I came in. Some how we cobbled three laps to qualify and ran out of fuel on the fourth. As the crack was at the top of the tank no fuel came out once we'd got to about 10 litres.

However, no one asked any questions as to how we "repaired" it. I was quite impressed with the acoustic damper though!!! It worked and we all went home happy. And with our eyebrows in place

Anyway...back on topic. Was using it as an example of how friendly/pragmatic histeric racers are as apposed to some modern racers.

Last edited by skentellytubby; 27 Oct 2010 at 21:36.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2781353)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I once owned a minivan with a similar problem. Nothing leaked out as long as I only half filled it.

More on topic, I stumbled across a couple of videos yesterday of US historic racers talking about why they were involved. Seemed to be offering similar sentiments.

The 'Legends' linked from here - there is probably a better and more permanent link but the PC I am on at the moment as a FLash free zone and I can't see where the links lead after the 'What's new' page.

http://www.leechapmanracing.com/what's_new.htm
Old 27 Oct 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2781365)   #33
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=delta;2781283]I hope Jim still keeps the Galaxie.

So do I. The noise when that behmoth starts up with unsilenced exhausts is akin to Armeggedon ...
Old 28 Oct 2010, 08:34 (Ref:2781515)   #34
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
oh wrong thread, for repairing fueltanks, Why racing historics ? Can you still buy a descent beautifull rear wheel driven real racecar these days???
Dodge Vipers, old and new, Corvette CR5s and 6, old Panoz, DBRS9 and my all time favourite from the modern period, DBR9. All the latest Ginettas are front engined RWD, I believe. All BMW racing saloons from recent years are also. So, yes, you can, but of course, they do have plenty of driver aids but then cornering speeds do mean that you need strong necks! The GT1 - 3 cars are definitely classics of the future.

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Oct 2010 at 09:04.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 08:36 (Ref:2781518)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
I hope Jim still keeps the Galaxie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM
So do I. The noise when that behmoth starts up with unsilenced exhausts is akin to Armeggedon ...
Agreed!
Old 28 Oct 2010, 08:49 (Ref:2781522)   #36
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Millions of Mustangs about. Get something different.
Agreed and Falcon may look like a small Galaxy but there is a world of difference especially as they can be legally (dont ask me how thats what give me the pip with this game) lighter than a Mustang due to some period fiddling by Ford with lightweight panels etc.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2781629)   #37
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Agreed and Falcon may look like a small Galaxy but there is a world of difference especially as they can be legally (dont ask me how thats what give me the pip with this game) lighter than a Mustang due to some period fiddling by Ford with lightweight panels etc.
Am I right in thinking Falcons handle "less friendly" than a Mustang? I can't think how they are different underneath the bodywork so I'm not sure why that's the case. They were homolgated with fibreglass bits weren't they?

Am I right in thinking Ben Shuckburgh is selling his?

Sorry, this is turning into the Mustang v Falcon v Galaxie thread now.

Any other people want to tell us their reasons for choosing histos rather than other forms of racing?
Old 28 Oct 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2781635)   #38
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Yes - better beer at historic meetings generally. Proper beer that is, none of this Europish
Old 28 Oct 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2781639)   #39
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well my 2d's worth is this,
Racing FF1600 in Ireland, anywhere really, but Ireland in particular is very difficult because it is so competitive. If you want to be at the front end you have to be totally commited, ie; money, time and effort. So I decided that one off events were the way to go, hence my interest in the historics, My stuff isn't very old.., RF 86, 1979 Sports 2000 and a '73 clubmans car. But my desires should be satisfied with a run out at Kirkistown and then a one off event somewhere. Time will tell.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2781680)   #40
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
Am I right in thinking Falcons handle "less friendly" than a Mustang? I can't think how they are different underneath the bodywork so I'm not sure why that's the case. They were homolgated with fibreglass bits weren't they?
There are some differences in front suspension (well there was when they were standard ), also Falcons have to run thinner wheels.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 28 Oct 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2781778)   #41
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
If Jim gets a Mustang im gonna ket a picture of a Dodge Charger to stick on the rear view mirror.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2781784)   #42
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
There are some differences in front suspension (well there was when they were standard ), also Falcons have to run thinner wheels.
I thought it was the same chassis?
Old 28 Oct 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2781797)   #43
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Millions of Mustangs about. Get something different.
much easier to be a sheep than a shepherd
Old 28 Oct 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2781799)   #44
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Move that silly 66 date forward a year or two and no mustangs would come out and play as they simply wouldnt hold a candle to a 1st Gen Camaro.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2781810)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
No, they'd all buy Camaros; back to square one!
Old 28 Oct 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2781811)   #46
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ha ha you are right, they may save emselves a few quid though!
Old 29 Oct 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2782226)   #47
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
If Jim gets a Mustang im gonna ket a picture of a Dodge Charger to stick on the rear view mirror.

Black one I hope Iain,not a shot of a massive fireball ?
Old 29 Oct 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2782264)   #48
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
The best shot in the film "bullet" is when the Mustang apears in the Dodge Charger's mirror.Just brilliant.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2782279)   #49
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why did we chose to race historics?

Isn't it because none of us are good enough to race moderns?
Old 29 Oct 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2782307)   #50
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Why did we chose to race historics?

Isn't it because none of us are good enough to race moderns?