Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 Sep 2019, 08:18 (Ref:3925357)   #276
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cupra Tavascan

'Named after a ski resort near the French border in Catalonia, the Tavascan is said to marry “the presence of an SUV with the sleekness of a sports coupé” and showcases the evolution of Cupra design as it moves further away from its parent company, Seat. ' - should this car be in the Coupe thread?

Old 2 Sep 2019, 12:06 (Ref:3925385)   #277
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
.. should this car be in the Coupe thread?
No. It should be in the "reject folder".

Also I don't think anyone with eyes would describe that hulking great turd as 'sleek'.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3925392)   #278
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
No. It should be in the "reject folder".

Also I don't think anyone with eyes would describe that hulking great turd as 'sleek'.
If you are not a fan of the taller SUV-styled Coupes, then don't be so shy in criticising!

They are obviously popular in some circles, enough so that since the X6 they have been introduced into a lot of manufacturer's ranges:

RR Sport SVR
Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Porsche Macan S
Audi SQ7
Maserati Levante S GranSport
Mercedes-AMG GLC S
BMW X4
Lamborghini Urus
Mercedes-AMG GLE coupe
Toyota C-HR

Can they all be wrong?
Old 2 Sep 2019, 14:04 (Ref:3925405)   #279
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If you are not a fan of the taller SUV-styled Coupes, then don't be so shy in criticising!

They are obviously popular in some circles, enough so that since the X6 they have been introduced into a lot of manufacturer's ranges:

RR Sport SVR
Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Porsche Macan S
Audi SQ7
Maserati Levante S GranSport
Mercedes-AMG GLC S
BMW X4
Lamborghini Urus
Mercedes-AMG GLE coupe
Toyota C-HR
All hideous

Not only that - some of those are all over the heritage of the marque - Lambo SUV? No. Porsche SUV? Really? No.

Quote:
Can they all be wrong?
Yes. Depressingly enough, yes they can.

Last edited by BertMk2; 2 Sep 2019 at 14:05. Reason: Swear filter missed one!
Old 2 Sep 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3925408)   #280
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Not only that - some of those are all over the heritage of the marque - Lambo SUV? No. Porsche SUV? Really? No.
I personally am not a fan of the coupe-styled SUV, and struggle to see their relevance.
But - the numbers tell us different so I guess we'll just have to put up with them for a few years yet......

Trying to explain to the boards of Lamborghini or Porsche that they do not need an SUV seems like we'd be whilst the orders keep coming in?
Old 2 Sep 2019, 14:33 (Ref:3925412)   #281
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
all over the heritage of the marque - Lambo SUV? No.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 14:52 (Ref:3925416)   #282
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Oooh - that's incredible! Why haven't we all seen thousands of those?

Oh yeah - it's pig ugly and should never have existed

All this SUV nonsense just re-enforces my view that most people are morons.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 16:28 (Ref:3925428)   #283
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Oooh - that's incredible! Why haven't we all seen thousands of those?

Oh yeah - it's pig ugly and should never have existed

All this SUV nonsense just re-enforces my view that most people are morons.

Don't be coy, and beat around the bush. Tell us what you really think!
Old 2 Sep 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3925440)   #284
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Alfa Romeo Tonale

'The Tonale, which will compete in one of the market’s hottest segments, was only born as a concept last November, appearing at the Geneva show in March. The real thing will share a platform with the Jeep Renegade, both vehicles to offer a plug-in hybrid option. It’s not yet clear whether this is an all-new platform or a modification of the existing one'

But with the Stelvio not long released, what's the point? And what's the difference?
Old 2 Sep 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3925447)   #285
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
But with the Stelvio not long released, what's the point? And what's the difference?
Its an Alfa. I cant help myself, and I dont care.... 20 years since my third / (fourth if AlfaSuds count) and last Alfa (a '75' 3.0V6) and I am getting withdrawals
Old 2 Sep 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3925458)   #286
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
'It's set to arrive in showrooms at the end of next year as a challenger to the BMW X1 and Audi Q3.
The SUV, which will sit below the Alfa Stelvio in the firm’s range,'

Alfa's spokesperson: “We expect the Tonale to become our best-selling car. Combined with our other new products, we expect to have a car to suit the needs of around 80% of all European car buyers by 2024, and that puts Alfa in a much stronger position than today.”
Old 3 Sep 2019, 04:32 (Ref:3925513)   #287
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It's a lot smaller, according to them.....
Old 3 Sep 2019, 08:25 (Ref:3925532)   #288
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Its an Alfa. I cant help myself, and I dont care.... 20 years since my third / (fourth if AlfaSuds count) and last Alfa (a '75' 3.0V6) and I am getting withdrawals
But it's not an Alfa - it's a Jeep in a better tailored suit.

It's also very much not what an Alfa should be.

Quote:
Alfa's spokesperson: “We expect the Tonale to become our best-selling car. Combined with our other new products, we expect to have a car to suit the needs of around 80% of all European car buyers by 2024, and that puts Alfa in a much stronger position than today.”
Their best seller - so they'll sell double figures?
Old 3 Sep 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3925535)   #289
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Their best seller - so they'll sell double figures?
The Stelvio is the 6th biggest selling car in the Premium midsized SUV segment in Europe. Behind the GLC, X3, XC60, Q5 and Disco Sport. Selling more in this segment than Jaguar, Porsche and Lexus.

When you compare this with the Premium compact SUV segment, where the 8th best seller (RR Evoque) moves more units than the 5th best in the midsized (Disco Sport) - then it makes absolute sense to build a model for this market.

The X1, X2, Q3, Q2, XC40, GLA, Countryman, Evoque, E-Pace and DS7 Crossback numbers are the right place for Alfa Romeo to be.

The midsized segment has shrunk 4% since 2018 to 260,552. The compact segment has grown 20% to 338,053.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 09:49 (Ref:3925547)   #290
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
In the last few years I’ve started to use the one word- ‘pointless’ to voice my opinion on certain cars I see on the roads.

The vehicle that started me off on it? BMW X6. Think that was followed by the Mini Paceman.....

There’s been quite a few more since!
Old 3 Sep 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3925587)   #291
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
In the last few years I’ve started to use the one word- ‘pointless’ to voice my opinion on certain cars I see on the roads.

The vehicle that started me off on it? BMW X6. Think that was followed by the Mini Paceman.....

There’s been quite a few more since!
I'm with you on this!

You need:

Super mini (eg: ka)
Small (eg: Fiesta)
Mid size (eg: Focus)
Large: (eg: Mondeo)

Throw in estate versions of the mid and large and maybe bung in a coupe. That's all you need. Anything else is 'pointless'.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3925612)   #292
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
...And VW promises yet another compact SUV.

Old 3 Sep 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3925613)   #293
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I'm with you on this!

You need:

Super mini (eg: ka)
Small (eg: Fiesta)
Mid size (eg: Focus)
Large: (eg: Mondeo)

Throw in estate versions of the mid and large and maybe bung in a coupe. That's all you need. Anything else is 'pointless'.

I think have the solution to your motoring needs? - Lada or the Sachsenring range.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3925620)   #294
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The vehicle that started me off on it? BMW X6.
interestingly enough, the new X6 is apparently so ugly they had to paint it in vantablack...a colour so dark that nearly 99% of light is absorbed by it rendering the car, including all of its ugly curves and contours, nearly invisible to the human eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozq9dI1aZ94
Old 3 Sep 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3925646)   #295
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Argh, my eyes! That grille....... couldn’t they have painted it as well?
Old 3 Sep 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3925649)   #296
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Argh, my eyes! That grille....... couldn’t they have painted it as well?

And what's worse is that they have placed illumination lights in or behind it to make it a special feature!
Old 3 Sep 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3925651)   #297
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've turned it into the Disaster Area stunt ship (HHGTTG reference).

However I do applaud the safety aspect of having a car painted in the most stealthy finish ever running with DRLs
Old 4 Sep 2019, 06:50 (Ref:3925710)   #298
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Cupra Tavascan

'Named after a ski resort near the French border in Catalonia, the Tavascan is said to marry “the presence of an SUV with the sleekness of a sports coupé” and showcases the evolution of Cupra design as it moves further away from its parent company, Seat. ' - should this car be in the Coupe thread?
It's getting difficult to know what is a show car to grab headlines, and what is a 'real' car! This is another EV concept designed around the VW MEB platform, however the interior pics are more 'production ready'. Could have 2 motors, 77Kwh battery and 280 mile range... Absolutely no mention of price anywhere!
Old 4 Sep 2019, 06:55 (Ref:3925712)   #299
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Meanwhile, the new Land Rover Defender is days away from official launch, but one has been spotted on the next James Bond film set....

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/27/...ahbDzdTL8RKwy3
Old 4 Sep 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3925725)   #300
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It's getting difficult to know what is a show car to grab headlines, and what is a 'real' car! This is another EV concept designed around the VW MEB platform, however the interior pics are more 'production ready'. Could have 2 motors, 77Kwh battery and 280 mile range... Absolutely no mention of price anywhere!
Yes, the line between concept and pre-production appears to be increasingly blurred.

In another article, a bit more information is presented.
'On sale Mid-2020 | Price from £60,000 (est)'
'Although what you see here is a concept, the Tavascan is set to go into production next year with minimal changes. And if you want to stand out on the school run, its angular bodywork and coupé-inspired shape should be perfect. '