Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2002, 14:16 (Ref:245150)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Biggest losers so far

Bridgestone

Take out Schumacher and they've scored a grand total of three points. Seventeen if you do include MS. Seventeen out of fifty-two. They must be praying for a miracle from the Honda teams. Or for rain.

I hav to say that if this trend continues it makes the Ferrari/Schumacher achievement all the more remarkable.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 14:19 (Ref:245152)   #2
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridgestone does not care about other teams but Ferrari. I has been like that since 2000.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 14:37 (Ref:245158)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BBK

Yes, very true that they value Ferrari above the others. But this situation does lead one to wonder just how Ferrari manage to get so much out of the Japanese rubber, compared to the others. Early days yet, obviously. Certainly we can expect a good fight from Sauber. I'd love to see Jordan correct their wobbly start to the season with a point too.

The other Bridgestone runners should be doubly concerned after this weekend - because the F2002 is quite different to the F2001, and more advanced on the chassis side than any other car. As the Bridgestones are progressively optimised to suit that specific car (and one specific driver - MS) it will narrow the possibilities for the designers to explore alternative design philosophies. Clearly this was the factor that put Mclaren off - they had a quite different approach to getting the best out of tyres.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 15:23 (Ref:245177)   #4
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, biggest losers so far:

Jaguar - You have to admit that they were VERY lucky to get points in Australia and they haven't shown any pace at all. It seems as most teams have taken a step foreward, Jaguar have remained where they were or even gone backwards. It also doesn't help when they sack their Technical Director just before the start of the season either. They need a major shake up like BAR are doing.

BAR - Panis two DNF's, Villeneuve one DNF & one 8th place finish. Hardly the performacne of a team who quote "Should be challenging for wins in 2004". Honda engines are lacking any power and the chassis is at best only mid-field, behind Renault, Sauber etc.

Jordan - Again, Honda engines down on power and their are obvious problems with the chassis. Sato has been disapointing, although 22nd in qualifying in Australia was not his fault at all. Fisichella has been quite good, qualifying in the Top 10 for each race, but has had bad luck being caught out at the first corner in Australia and being mounted by Sato in Malaysia

As for drivers, a quick list of those which I feel are the biggest losers so far:

- Coulthard
- Barrichello
- Sato
- Villeneuve
- Panis
- Irvine & de la Rosa - They must think the R3 is a load of

Last edited by Mark F1; 27 Mar 2002 at 15:24.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 15:35 (Ref:245179)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR - for the fact that they are clueless. With all their money Jordan is still looking better than they are.

Jag - Nothing needs to be said that we dont all know

I did not really consider bridgestone to be losers. However arguements here are somewhat convincing. I must say though that their main goal is being achieved. They look good for another Ferrari with the WDC.

Honda - They have so far looked midfield at best. I know that they say not to expect too much now. I am sure they would have much preffered to be making their powerful engine better than their better engine more powerful.

DC - he has started to sound like he is ready to go the way of Mika
Old 27 Mar 2002, 16:22 (Ref:245219)   #6
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC and Rubens could turn out to be the biggest losers this year, as both could easily lose their rides. For DC to come out at this point in the season and basically admit defeat by saying he only has an outside chance for the championship, is like a self fulfilling prophecy. You can be sure it will happen. He is not showing any mental strength. Only 2 races have been run. It doesn't help that he has not been 3 to 5 tenths quicker than Kimi the newcomer.
At least Rubens has been towing the line this year, for the most part. It has probably sunk in to him just what a plum drive he has, despite the obvious drawbacks, such as never becoming WC if Michaels healthy.

I also agree that Jag and BAR are the biggest team losers this year, with perhaps Arrows a strong third. But if McLaren continues to struggle, you could say they have the most to lose, since they are considered one of the big 3. They could find Renault, Toyota, or Sauber nipping at them by years end.

As for Honda, if they lose to Toyota this year, it could be disaster for them in Japan, such is the importance of not losing face. I would not want to be in charge of Honda's engine program if this happens.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 02:44 (Ref:245605)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
um I would have to say the biggest losers so far would have to be Pheonix Grand Prix
Old 28 Mar 2002, 03:29 (Ref:245616)   #8
Mantis13
Racer

Mantis13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda by far are the biggest losers. Imagine what the suits were thinking as they saw Salo's Toyota cross the finish line in 6th at Australia. They have been a dissapointment since re-entering F1.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 03:32 (Ref:245617)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
um I would have to say the biggest losers so far would have to be Pheonix Grand Prix
I second that...for being too confident
Old 28 Mar 2002, 05:39 (Ref:245674)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget Arrows!, HHF failed to start twice, Bernoldi failed to start once, bith where black flagged and Bernoldi ran out of fuel.

I think Jag and BAR are the other big loosers
Old 28 Mar 2002, 06:15 (Ref:245680)   #11
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biggest looser this year....

The biggest looser this year one name says it all...............

...........Prost
Old 28 Mar 2002, 09:13 (Ref:245744)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
I did not really consider bridgestone to be losers. I must say though that their main goal is being achieved. They look good for another Ferrari with the WDC.
I have to agree here. Considering they only have one of the top 3 teams (or 5??) I think they will still win the most races this year, and probably the WDC. That cant be considered losing.
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12
DC and Rubens could turn out to be the biggest losers this year, as both could easily lose their rides.
Personally, I don't mind sticking the knife into either of these drivers, but after 2 races, its a little early to call them losers - even for me. Afterall Rubins has *chokes on own words* had a pole position and was leading Sepang before retirement. Not exactly a shocking start.
Quote:
For DC to come out at this point in the season and basically admit defeat by saying he only has an outside chance for the championship, is like a self fulfilling prophecy. You can be sure it will happen. He is not showing any mental strength. Only 2 races have been run.
Yes, (with my usual sceptasism towards the media, assuming he actually said this) this really is very bad. If I were Ron, I would be looking at off-loading DC ASAP. This sort of attitude spreads like a cancer through a team (see BAR) and will delay any possible comeback for this otherwise great team.
Quote:
I also agree that Jag and BAR are the biggest team losers this year, with perhaps Arrows a strong third.
Not sure if Arrows are really losing. They were last (except Prost??? ad Minardi) last year and appear to have the pace of Jaguar and BAR, when the are actually running. They may actually move up by default
Quote:
But if McLaren continues to struggle, you could say they have the most to lose, since they are considered one of the big 3.
Well, the were top 2 last year (and top not long before. This could be a big slide, similar to what Williams had to go through.

Jaguar, BAR and Honda are the 3 biggest losing teams (so far), with McLaren just off the podiam.

DC, JV, and the second best driver in the world - the great Eddie Irvine, are on their way for medals for the Drivers wooden spoon awards.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 09:33 (Ref:245754)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jaguar - Someone shut down the team now before they completely destroy the marques reputation for quality and excellence.

DC - Two retirements in two races and he (apparently) is in a defeatist mood.

Honda - You'd think they'd have got their act together since last year. But the engine appears worse than ever.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 09:49 (Ref:245771)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
the fans, for not seeing a proper fight between the 2 best drivers at maylasia
Old 28 Mar 2002, 09:53 (Ref:245775)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well said Mr v.......100% agree