Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 25 Oct 2002, 08:09 (Ref:412929)   #26
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In other words. The cooler the temp of the charge, the more power you get.

BTW, anyone looking at Formula Student, can I suggest you SERIOUSLY look at Turbo Charging. Don't be fooled by where they force you to place the compressor, it still gives huge advantages.

And if your experiencing the problem with the peaky torque curve, changing your valve timing will sort it out and give some really smooth results. Not many people will have the ability to alter the Cam profiles but you get big gains in torque if you can.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:27 (Ref:413180)   #27
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cooling the intake charge is illegal for these competitions, unfortunately. Also, I have actually tested an 'air leak' configuration, and it actually hurt the performance! This was due to the fact that the 'leak' was entering the flow from the restrictor at a large angle, which actually hurt the primary flow...

The restrictor is actually designed individually by each team; at the race, it is checked to make sure that it is the right size (20mm), but the overall size and shape of the rest of the restrictor is up to the racers!

Parklife, that is impressive stuff you are showing there! I was part of a team for 4 years, and the max we got out of a turboed 600F2 was ~95bhp. You don't necessarily need all that power to win, though... we finished 4th in the US with a not-so earth-shattering 80hp...
Old 26 Oct 2002, 09:24 (Ref:413870)   #28
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well yes, one of the main points of Formula Student is that just because you have the fastest car doesn't mean you win. I can't remember the exact number but doesn't overall pace only count for around 35% of your marks?

But more power never hurt anyone!

If you want any more information just drop me an email. BTW, I presume your using a twin exhaust set up? Assuming your not turbo charging that is, twin turbo for F-Student just gets messy.

John.