Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1689624)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Official: Mass damper banned (MERGED)

They're banned,mid season as well. http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press...230806-02.html
Old 23 Aug 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1689630)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The winners of the 2006 championship:

Scuderia FIA Marlboro Ferrari
Old 23 Aug 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1689655)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A real shame that they couldn't just let it go and then ban it in the off season.

A real shame.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1689663)   #4
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet again this could be another championship decided in court rather than the track.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1689665)   #5
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
One of the FIA Court of Appeal was Anthony Scrivener QC. I have confidence that he would not have been susceptible to influence from the FIA, Ferrari or anyone. A very sharp legal mind.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1689684)   #6
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
The winners of the 2006 championship:

Scuderia FIA Marlboro Ferrari
Based on the last few races, I totally agree with Luke. I'd like to know more about the "mass damper" technical and performance-related aspects. The forum has a lot of technical expertise. I hope to hear more from our "technocrats" on the issue.

The damper appears to have given the Renault cars an "unfair " advantage. The question is if it was also truly illegal........

Cheers,

RT
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1689688)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For my money this is the right decision, Renault flew a little bit too close to the wind and now they are paying the price. Cant really knock the FIA for enforcing the rules, Renault arent the only top team to have been penalised this year lets not forget. Anyone remember the conraversial Ferrari rear wing?
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1689691)   #8
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
They must have had their reasons, as ensign as pointed out, this is a totally impartial body. I agree its sad, but if its illegal, its illegal.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:22 (Ref:1689697)   #9
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The hotbed of motorsport competition and technology has resulted in an ingenius, non-polluting, unpowered device which could be beneficial in other automotive arenas. So it's banned

OK, I guess if it really does contravene the current wording of the rule then it simply isn't legal, but if so the rule is an ass and should be addressed (for next season...).

Mike
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:22 (Ref:1689698)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But it wasn't illegal for a long time. And this is what really grates with a lot of people I guess.

Time and again this happens, but I guess it will continue to do so.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:50 (Ref:1689718)   #11
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
One of the FIA Court of Appeal was Anthony Scrivener QC. I have confidence that he would not have been susceptible to influence from the FIA, Ferrari or anyone. A very sharp legal mind.
He may be independent, he may be a legal wiz - but does he have any technical know-how? I somehow doubt it. And if not, he will have based his decision on the legal argument, not the technical or sporting merit.

With due respect to all concerned its a poor decision IMHO

Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1689725)   #12
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will they remove Renault's 2005 championship, since Mass dumpers have been found to be illegal now?
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1689729)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No chance, as they were legal up until today.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1689733)   #14
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
but does he have any technical know-how? I somehow doubt it. And if not, he will have based his decision on the legal argument, not the technical or sporting merit.
And that is exactly what judges do: They have experts who tell them what the stuff does and the judge then reads what the law says and decides on wether the description of the device fits the law or does not.

A judge does not need how to murder a person to find a murderer guilty.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1689737)   #15
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
No chance, as they were legal up until today.
I do not think they were illegal up till today, because they would have used them in Hungary if they were allowed till today.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1689739)   #16
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a personal difficulty with the concept of legal 'experts' making decisions on matters they don't understand. But as you say, that's what they do.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1689738)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

They could have used them under appeal in Germany and Hungary, but the FIA would have the power to remove their results as they have now been deemed illegal.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1689743)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan
I do not think they were illegal up till today, because they would have used them in Hungary if they were allowed till today.
If they'd have used them in Hungary when originally told that they were illegal prior to that race,any team doing so would run the risk of penalties.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1689754)   #19
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
But it wasn't illegal for a long time. And this is what really grates with a lot of people I guess.

Time and again this happens, but I guess it will continue to do so.
100% right. This is what i don't understand. Why did they decide to ban it now and not when renault started using the system which i think was in brazil last season
Old 23 Aug 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1689755)   #20
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I don't know if FIA pays or name Court of Appeal's members. If so, I don't necessarily believe in their independence.

What I positively believe is this mid-season ban is disappointing. FIA was aware of this device from the start of the season, and many teams copied it. I don't understand the urgency of this change of mind before the end of the season. If a team develops a car using a certain device, banning it unexpectly damage its perfomance.

I'm sorry, but just now I think this affair is a comedy. Or worse.

For a change, I would want Alonso wins this WDC otherwise I'll have doubts about the outcome.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1689782)   #21
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
I wish it was the racing in formula one which was unpredictable not the decisions made by the FIA
Old 23 Aug 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1689807)   #22
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by pole2pole
I wish it was the racing in formula one which was unpredictable not the decisions made by the FIA
At least Renault was able to use the mass dampers for more than a season, and were able to recover some of the development costs. Brabham was not so luck with it's fan-car. That was outlawed after only one race. I can only imagine following it on a course like Zandvort!
Old 23 Aug 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1689834)   #23
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pole2pole
Yet again this could be another championship decided in court rather than the track.
We might expect this to happen more times in the future.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1689846)   #24
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The interesting fact is that the FIA actually banned any sort of springs.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1689851)   #25
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBz
The hotbed of motorsport competition and technology has resulted in an ingenius, non-polluting, unpowered device which could be beneficial in other automotive arenas. So it's banned
Have a look under most new cars and you will find mass dampers, the road cars were there first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
Brabham was not so luck with it's fan-car. That was outlawed after only one race. I can only imagine following it on a course like Zandvort!
It wasn't banned.

Colin McRae 1968-2007