Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Jun 2018, 23:16 (Ref:3828754)   #1
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC 2019 season discussion, News and Rumours!

I know it's a bit early but figured it made more sense to put this into a 2019 thread...

Anyway, the calendar is out and there is no place for Rockingham, with Thruxton instead being given a second meeting: https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...btcc-calendar/
Old 12 Jun 2018, 23:27 (Ref:3828755)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well that’s a turn up for the books. Shame, it has produced some great racing. Wonder if it’ll be back for 2020 or if they will replace it with another circuit
Old 13 Jun 2018, 07:08 (Ref:3828796)   #3
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a selfish point of view, I think this is a terrible loss to the championship. It’s the closest circuit to me, the next nearest is Silverstone and they don’t compare from a spectator perspective.

Silverstone doesn’t have any good viewing spots unless you pay extra for a grandstand pass, whereas Rockingham allows a view of nearly the whole circuit from one place.

Probably means I won’t be attending a round next year because no other circuit offers the same visibility.

I also think two rounds at Thruxton is an error, it might be fast but fast doesn’t always mean good. Maybe they should have considered a round at Mondello like before.

Wonder if that’s it for Rockingham forever or if the BTCC will return if they sort out whatever issues they’ve had which has lost the event?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3828806)   #4
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
From a selfish point of view, I think this is a terrible loss to the championship. It’s the closest circuit to me, the next nearest is Silverstone and they don’t compare from a spectator perspective.

Silverstone doesn’t have any good viewing spots unless you pay extra for a grandstand pass, whereas Rockingham allows a view of nearly the whole circuit from one place.

Probably means I won’t be attending a round next year because no other circuit offers the same visibility.

I also think two rounds at Thruxton is an error, it might be fast but fast doesn’t always mean good. Maybe they should have considered a round at Mondello like before.

Wonder if that’s it for Rockingham forever or if the BTCC will return if they sort out whatever issues they’ve had which has lost the event?
Has Silverstone started charging for Grandstand seats now? I haven't had to pay for a grandstand seat for a BTCC meeting at Silverstone since the 90's.
Rockingham has always been a bit of a soulless place for me. Too far from the action and lacking in atmosphere. Not one I get upset about missing and much better to watch on TV. Perhaps Palmer will buy/rent the place and turn the place around.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3828858)   #5
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
whereas Rockingham allows a view of nearly the whole circuit from one place.

Brands Hatch Indy — You can see it all from the grandstand.

Knockhill — You can see all of it from the central hill area.

Quote:
I agree that on paper, a fresh track is the best solution for fans at first. But does Mondello have easy access, space in the paddock for the now massive hospitality for a big grid and a cheap (i.e. free) ferry deal for teams? Not sure it does.

Perhaps a compromise could have been the round at a venue that has an alternate layout i.e. Donington with the loop, or the full GP Silverstone layout? (Yes, I know Gow has poo-pooed this previously, and I get why. It's such a long track, it will make it look like 6 people are attending with empty grandstands and such)
Old 13 Jun 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3828938)   #6
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Brands Hatch Indy — You can see it all from the grandstand.

Knockhill — You can see all of it from the central hill area.

I agree that on paper, a fresh track is the best solution for fans at first. But does Mondello have easy access, space in the paddock for the now massive hospitality for a big grid and a cheap (i.e. free) ferry deal for teams? Not sure it does.

Perhaps a compromise could have been the round at a venue that has an alternate layout i.e. Donington with the loop, or the full GP Silverstone layout? (Yes, I know Gow has poo-pooed this previously, and I get why. It's such a long track, it will make it look like 6 people are attending with empty grandstands and such)
ITV won't like the GP circuit at Silverstone as it requires so much more resources than the current National track.

The Donington loop doesn't add anything to the racing. I would like to see OP getting a second visit although judging by the recent snoozefest I doubt many people will want to see another meeting there.

So that leaves Snetterton and Knockhill, I can't see the Scottish market support a second meeting north of the border.

So in future it looks like Thruxton and Snetterton will share the second meeting.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3828941)   #7
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and cue another no soft round (due to risk of tyres going bang) therefore next year 8 races will have tyre choices
Old 13 Jun 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3828956)   #8
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
ITV won't like the GP circuit at Silverstone as it requires so much more resources than the current National track.

The Donington loop doesn't add anything to the racing. I would like to see OP getting a second visit although judging by the recent snoozefest I doubt many people will want to see another meeting there.

So that leaves Snetterton and Knockhill, I can't see the Scottish market support a second meeting north of the border.

So in future it looks like Thruxton and Snetterton will share the second meeting.
Yup, all good points.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3828986)   #9
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The Scottish market would certainly support a second race, as it's absolutely packed for the BTCC event. But I doubt the teams would be up for it. It wasn't long ago that some teams didn't bother going to Knockhill as it was more than a 15 minute drive and they were worried about the costs of having to buy a sausage roll at a service station.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 05:50 (Ref:3833535)   #10
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

You've missed out Croft. Any chance of a second meeting there?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3828801)   #11
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knockhill in September? It'll be snowing!

Would've rather they used a different Silverstone layout or the Donington GP track than ran another round at Thruxton. Understand why Rockingham is being moved off. It's actually quite an entertaining track, but the sinking grandstands hint that all is probably not well behind the scenes.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3828803)   #12
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Btcc is organised by the Barc and this is their circuit and the default option. Just like when silverstone was dropped for a year. Might we see a visit to the new circuit in Northern Ireland for the following year?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 07:42 (Ref:3828812)   #13
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bah.

I like Thruxton but it's certainly not the circuit I would pick to go to twice. Shame about Rockingham - obviously I understand there's a whole other side but I always thought it produced excellent racing.

Seems silly to me that it wasn't replaced with Lake Torrent.

Hopefully we'll see more investment going into Thruxton now - pit facilities are pretty poor as is the final chicane, and viewing areas aren't great.

Last edited by Evantra; 13 Jun 2018 at 07:52.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 07:51 (Ref:3828815)   #14
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Seems silly to me that it wasn't replaced with Lake Torrent.
Which isn't yet complete and would need plenty of logistical planning. Ferries aren't cheap, they only visited Mondello because they had a subsidised ferry deal with Irish Ferries and the Irish tourist board.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 08:16 (Ref:3828818)   #15
BvtchxrSqvadNathan
Rookie

Scotland
Westmeath, Ireland
BvtchxrSqvadNathan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe they should have considered a round at Mondello like before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Ferries aren't cheap, they only visited Mondello because they had a subsidised ferry deal with Irish Ferries and the Irish tourist board.
Obviously, there would no doubt be budget issues and a trek however small across the pond would increase costs. Although I'd love the BTCC to return to Mondello, considering it's my local track here in Ireland. The rumours were that the Mondello owners couldn't afford to continue hosting the BTCC and that was one of the reasons why the series stopped going.
I don't know if that's true, but in recent times the only major motorsport series Mondello sees is drifting!! The Irish Drift Championship organisers have their offices at the circuit IIRC. Some of the events are actually well planned and executed with some of the world's top drivers making the trip over for it!

Back on topic, I think if there was a genuine shout for Mondello hosting a weekend they'd need to make some updates to the track from both a spectator and drivers point of view.

It's a shame as well because the international loop would provide some great racing!
Old 13 Jun 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3828820)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Mondello was such an interesting track. I went once sometime in the mid-2000s. I think Ireland could use a round, however it always boils down to money, sadly.

If not Mondello, I would rather see Oulton Park get a second round, use the Fosters layout.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 08:44 (Ref:3828822)   #17
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that I'm a fan of Rockingham, probably there are lots of more entertaining venues but still it's a huge loss. Thruxton being organised twice is not a good idea IMHO, nothing wrong with the circuit but now it means there are only 8 circuits on the calendar.
I hoped they would replace Rockingham with something different, like Mondello or Castle Combe. Shame that there are so many circuits in Britain but few can afford to host a BTCC meeting, not only in terms of finances but also because many circuits are too small. Shame that CoW never happened.
It'd be nice to see BTCC go abroad, to Spa, for example but I know that wouldn't make sense so it's only a wishful thinking.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3828833)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I too feel they would have been better having a second round at say Silverstone, Donington or Oulton, but with a different layout, like we do with Brands Hatch, instead of having both at Thruxton.

Rockingham is great, but the problem for me is you can only sit in a grandstand, not with spectator banks at other circuits
Old 13 Jun 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3828849)   #19
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

In previous interviews Gow has said the other circuits in the UK don’t have the paddock capacity or facilities for a BTCC round. Maybe that’s why he wants to reduce the grid size?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3828847)   #20
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
from autosport.com. makes sense to me;

Series director Alan Gow said Thruxton's extra event was an experiment for 2019 but that other current circuits could get additional rounds beyond that.

"We will double up at Thruxton and see how that goes - although that 'spare' date that we now have isn't set in stone," he explained.

"We will try Thruxton, but equally we could double up at other venues in years to come.

"We have had two rounds at places like Oulton Park before, and that has worked well."

Gow said it was highly unlikely that any tracks currently outside the BTCC calendar would be added in the near future.

"Given the infrastructure of the BTCC and the demands it places on circuits, the ones on the schedule presently are the only ones that can properly accommodate the championship," he added.

"We are not ignoring the other tracks around the UK, we simply wouldn't be able to fit into them."
Old 13 Jun 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3828850)   #21
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post

Gow said it was highly unlikely that any tracks currently outside the BTCC calendar would be added in the near future.

"Given the infrastructure of the BTCC and the demands it places on circuits, the ones on the schedule presently are the only ones that can properly accommodate the championship," he added.

"We are not ignoring the other tracks around the UK, we simply wouldn't be able to fit into them."

This might be a subtle hint to some other tracks, such as Cadwell and Castle Combe that they may be considered if they improved their infrastructure to accommodate the large crowds that attend and the number of facilities that the TOCA package requires to operate successfully for a weekend.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3828854)   #22
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
This might be a subtle hint to some other tracks, such as Cadwell and Castle Combe that they may be considered if they improved their infrastructure to accommodate the large crowds that attend and the number of facilities that the TOCA package requires to operate successfully for a weekend.
Exactly.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 10:18 (Ref:3828861)   #23
mattsmith
Rookie

England
Somerset
mattsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can't see Castle Combe getting a round. The paddock facilities wouldn't be up to scratch for the touring cars and the attitude at Combe has always been that spending that sort of money for the touring cars wouldn't be something they wanted to do.
And then there's the NIMBYs to think about.....
Old 13 Jun 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3828878)   #24
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
BTCC at Cadwell!
Old 13 Jun 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3828885)   #25
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

BTCC at Cadwell would be carnage!