Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Mar 2000, 09:32 (Ref:2075)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is reported in Autosport that Vauxhall have endorsed the idea of the BTCC going Super Production in 2001. This was backed up by Honda boss William de Breakeler who said he didn't like the TOCA 2001 rules anyway !!

Mike Nicholson of Vauxhall is quoted as saying that the BTCC would have to go SP for Vauxhall to continue ...

I guess this means Super Production or SP Plus it is then ....
Old 18 Mar 2000, 17:41 (Ref:2076)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please, god, no! Say no to SP!
Old 18 Mar 2000, 19:10 (Ref:2077)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My choices are as follows:

1) ST
2) 2001 ??
3) SP

OTOH, given a choice between SP and no BTCC, I would accept SP. I guess things have come a full circle? From Class 2 to ST back to SP which is kinda like SP?

But will the BTCC require sedan SP spec cars or will they allow coupes back in again?
Old 19 Mar 2000, 00:00 (Ref:2078)   #4
Ross
Rookie

Ross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unhappily we have to face it that the BTCC glory days of the late 20th Century are over. We will end up with a series like the Belgian procar championship, which while goog just isn't Tourers. I like John Cleland think a V8 series is the way to go and Andy Rouses's Supercar package could be the money
Old 26 Mar 2000, 14:22 (Ref:2079)   #5
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I am hoping for a Super Tourer formula to prevail.

I don't really know how manufacturers can say they didn't like the new rules when they helped to write them.

Alan Gow recently said that He didn't believe that a super Production series would attract the same quality of drivers that the BTCC has up until now.

He also said that He didn't believe that a space frame formula, such as Rouse was the way for the BTCC to go, as manufacturers need to be racing something that relates to what they sell.

Old 26 Mar 2000, 21:01 (Ref:2080)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Personally I am hoping for a Super Tourer formula to prevail."
- It may prevail, but who will be able to afford to race in it? Aint that the problem?

"I don't really know how manufacturers can say they didn't like the new rules when they helped to write them."
-That's true

"Alan Gow recently said that He didn't believe that a super Production series would attract the same quality of drivers that the BTCC has up until now."
-That's true

"He also said that He didn't believe that a space frame formula, such as Rouse was the way for the BTCC to go, as manufacturers need to be racing something that relates to what they sell."
- I hate to say this, but look at Nascar. Those manufacturers seem to be getting something out of it and just look at how far these things are away from any road car. A badge on a car seems to be a very powerful thing.
Old 27 Mar 2000, 02:13 (Ref:2081)   #7
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIKB wrote:

>Personally I am hoping for a Super Tourer >formula to prevail."
>- It may prevail, but who will be able to >afford to race in it? Aint that the problem?
>
Isn't the problem more like it is a dominoe effect? If one championships starts having trouble/leaving, then all start getting into trouble. If all series stay together, then ST has a fighting chance?

OTOH, we can always dream of a ST revival?
=) You can't take THAT away from us!! =)

Also, wasn't also part of the problem stemming from the fact the "losers" start whining about the winners and the winners ended up getting penalized or banned? If you are given **** for winning, then I may quit as well? Recall Quattro was penalized and then banned and then BMW (RWD) was under consideration to be banned as well?

>"I don't really know how manufacturers can >say they didn't like the new rules when >they helped to write them."
>
I guess they over estimated the savings? Possible reason also the same as paragraph one above? 2001 rules may be viable because x number of manufacturers are racing. Once number falls below x, then 2001 rules are not worthwhile or viable?
In the end, we still got to get together South Africa and Procar into the discussion table?

>I hate to say this, but look at Nascar. >Those manufacturers seem to be getting >something out of it and just look at how >far these things are away from any road >car. A badge on a car seems to be a very >powerful thing.
>
I agree with Crash Test. Nascar doesn't seem to have any trouble. HOWEVER, I STILL PREFER ST!!