Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:09 (Ref:2017357)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTCC 2008 Off-season: News & Rumours

TouringCarTimes has recieved what seems to be the provisional British Touring Car Championship 2008 calendar. The calendar features 10 races, starting at Brands Hatch in March and ending at the very same track in September.

Please note that the date for the final race at Brands Hatch is scheduled in this calendar at the same day as the WTCC hosts a race at Brands Hatch. This could indicate a joint race or that the calendars still are very much preliminary.

An official version of the calendar is expected to be revealed shortly.

BTCC 2008 Calendar

Mar 29/30 - Brands Hatch Indy
April 12/13 - Rockingham
May 3/4 - Donington Park
May 17/18 Thruxton
May 31/June 1 - Croft
July 12/13 - Oulton Park
July 26/26 - Snetterton
Aug 16/17 - Knockhill
Aug 30/31 - Silverstone
Sept 20/21 - Brands Hatch GP
Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:15 (Ref:2017371)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The WTCC event at Brands will probably switch with Valencia to solve the "problem".
Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:17 (Ref:2017374)   #3
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, perhaps, but why does BTCC have the GP track all of a sudden, whereas they haven't run that in years?
Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:35 (Ref:2017391)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
WTCC switching Brands and Valencia was suggested by KSO when their schedule was announced. Problem is that would mean WTCC at Brands on the same weekend as BTCC were at Thruxton. Having 2 big events attracting the same audience within a 2 hrs drive of each other is madness. That said, it's happened before when FIA GT/ETCC package was at Silverstone the same weekend as BTCC were at Thruxton.

Much as I'd love to spend a day watching 3x BTCC and 2x WTCC races around the Brands GP circuit... hang on let me just imagine that for a minute... .... .... sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, can't see that happening
Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:43 (Ref:2017397)   #5
Ellmau
Racer

Maybe... And I don't think it will happen either. But it is possible they will run together 2 races...
Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:49 (Ref:2017404)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't think it would happen, too many teams, too few pit garages!

I expected the 6 week gap in June for Euro 2008, and there it is!

Last edited by touringlegend; 18 Sep 2007 at 20:54.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:59 (Ref:2017415)   #7
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
WTCC switching Brands and Valencia was suggested by KSO when their schedule was announced. Problem is that would mean WTCC at Brands on the same weekend as BTCC were at Thruxton. Having 2 big events attracting the same audience within a 2 hrs drive of each other is madness. That said, it's happened before when FIA GT/ETCC package was at Silverstone the same weekend as BTCC were at Thruxton.

Much as I'd love to spend a day watching 3x BTCC and 2x WTCC races around the Brands GP circuit... hang on let me just imagine that for a minute... .... .... sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, can't see that happening
Have you spotted the other clash??

DTM are at Brands when the BTCC are at Silverstone!!!
Old 18 Sep 2007, 21:01 (Ref:2017418)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
But it is possible they will run together 2 races...
Would be more than a little surprised if that happened. TOCA are quite protective about their race format, plus there's the question of car spec. BTCC still allow BTC-T spec cars, I doubt WTCC would be keen on allowing them on track. Then you get the added complication of tyres - Dunlop wouldn't let anyone run on Advans in what was a BTCC championship, and Advan would be the same about what was a WTCC round.

GP track does allow for more starters but as TL has said, there's not the available pit garage space.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 21:08 (Ref:2017426)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally
DTM are at Brands when the BTCC are at Silverstone!!!
Well spotted, hadn't thought to check that.

I suppose once you cross out F1 dates and EuroFooty there's only so many weekends left. Not good though is it.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 21:08 (Ref:2017427)   #10
Ellmau
Racer

All very true But (wishfull thinking) BTCC have an agreement with STCC, and STCC cars have run in WTCC this year. So car specs won't be the biggest problem if it would happen.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 21:10 (Ref:2017430)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's good to see that Silverstone is back on calander for next year, but I had heard that was going to happen earlier in the year.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 21:11 (Ref:2017432)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Regarding the clashes, isn't it time we started thinking the other way round ?

Personally I'd take a BTCC day over a DTM day, surely I am not the minority!
Old 18 Sep 2007, 21:16 (Ref:2017434)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

If I had to chose it would be BTCC @ Silverstone. I haven't been hugely impressed by the DTM at Brands the last 2 years and Silverstone is a good opportunity to meet up with some friends.

I'd still rather be able to do both.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2017436)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
But (wishfull thinking) BTCC have an agreement with STCC, and STCC cars have run in WTCC this year. So car specs won't be the biggest problem if it would happen.
BTCC/STCC agreement is for locally homologated S2000-spec cars only. Old style BTC-T cars wouldn't be allowed in STCC or WTCC.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 21:24 (Ref:2017442)   #15
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe... And I don't think it will happen either. But it is possible they will run together 2 races...
With the possiblilty of 30 plus BTCC cars next year, plus the WTCC factory entries, I don't think so....
Old 19 Sep 2007, 06:04 (Ref:2017593)   #16
Ellmau
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally
With the possiblilty of 30 plus BTCC cars next year....
I've heard that part before.. :')
Old 19 Sep 2007, 06:05 (Ref:2017594)   #17
Ellmau
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Regarding the clashes, isn't it time we started thinking the other way round ?

Personally I'd take a BTCC day over a DTM day, surely I am not the minority!
I'd take BTCC too. It's just a shame BTCC isn't broadcasted on the tv outside of England.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 13:23 (Ref:2017936)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
DTM for me - there are other chances to see the BTCC whereas DTM only makes one trip to the UK (and the cars sound so much better ). Clashes will split the crowd though and both events will lose out in terms of spectator numbers so it's in the interests of the organisers to avoid clashes.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 14:35 (Ref:2017974)   #19
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it the BTCC arent making a return to Mondello park?
Old 19 Sep 2007, 14:38 (Ref:2017977)   #20
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer_ni
I take it the BTCC arent making a return to Mondello park?
Simple reason really...
http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread...4101#post54101
Old 19 Sep 2007, 14:48 (Ref:2017982)   #21
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see, i have to say im very disapointed to hear that. Thanks PDS!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 17:42 (Ref:2018130)   #22
redshoes
Veteran

http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5030
From Alan Gow - very unlikely dates will change, unless F1 dates change.

Looks like we are stuck with the WTCC/DTM clashes. Probably not a huge concern in terms of similar fan-base but just noticed Donington clashes with A1GP @ Brands.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 17:58 (Ref:2018137)   #23
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which would I go to - BTCC at Silverstone probably, because it's geographically easier. Without that, I would go to the BTCC because I just don't like the DTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellmau
I'd take BTCC too. It's just a shame BTCC isn't broadcasted on the tv outside of England.
Check your private messages.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 18:35 (Ref:2018154)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have also spotted another possible clash, the Donington meeting looks like it might be on the same weekend as the FIA GT's at Silverstone, however the calendar is not out yet.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 19:13 (Ref:2018190)   #25
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Don't think it would happen, too many teams, too few pit garages!

I expected the 6 week gap in June for Euro 2008, and there it is!
Well, the BTCC managed at Brands back in '03 when they had to share with CART - and them days they had the pit stops too.

It's certainly not impossible.
Closed Thread