Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Nov 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2329747)   #101
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHE917[22]
And you base this theory on ??
Not sure its a theory as such, but I probably base it on the performance of Stoddart and Halliday.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 7 Nov 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2329876)   #102
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure how you define a sprint or endurance race.Certainly there are quite a few ladies in US short oval racing.Milka Duno won a GrandAm race,but someone claimed male co-driver did most of the work!
Best female in F1 was Desire Wilson who won an Aurora british series race and was competitive in her only run in FOCA race.
Old 7 Nov 2008, 13:23 (Ref:2330023)   #103
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dasher,
OK reading first post did read crap, but the theory is right..

Looking at your end of the world, Leanne Tander came close to taking your F3 championship this year. Thats good considering the odds, 20odd to one. If there had been 20 Leannes and one Winslow, I bet Leanne would have won...

I have run over 60 drivers, and only a couple of women so the odds are against them and they are not the worst drivers I have had.

"the special something that drives them to the top" is a "focus on one goal which can take over their life" I think the social enviroment has more to do with the fact that women do not feature in motor racing, and not genetics.

" female have a more slim, lightweight frame".... not in the UK .... lol
Old 7 Nov 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2330385)   #104
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Dasher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak
Dasher,
OK reading first post did read crap, but the theory is right..

Looking at your end of the world, Leanne Tander came close to taking your F3 championship this year. Thats good considering the odds, 20odd to one. If there had been 20 Leannes and one Winslow, I bet Leanne would have won...

I have run over 60 drivers, and only a couple of women so the odds are against them and they are not the worst drivers I have had.

"the special something that drives them to the top" is a "focus on one goal which can take over their life" I think the social environment has more to do with the fact that women do not feature in motor racing, and not genetics.

" female have a more slim, lightweight frame".... not in the UK .... lol
All that having been said I still pose the question "WHY is it that a female has never won a motor racing circuit championship of any note"?

Surely there is one female driver out there somewhere in the world that has the focus & drive to do it.

Leanne had her chances in the best car in the field and should have won it but for reasons known only to herself, didn't.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2330617)   #105
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Surely there is one female driver out there somewhere in the world that has the focus & drive to do it.
Yes, but obviously they didn't have the opportunity. Your question was answered in the second or third post. It's a matter of numbers mixed with a pinch of desire.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2330780)   #106
Mak
Veteran

Dasher, just read all the previous posts.. should have done b4 posting anything...

THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION, "WHY is it that a female has never won a motor racing circuit championship of any note"? IS SIMPLE, The time has not been right YET..

MAYBE NEXT YEAR

THE END!
Old 9 Nov 2008, 04:56 (Ref:2330913)   #107
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak
Dasher, just read all the previous posts.. should have done b4 posting anything...

THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION, "WHY is it that a female has never won a motor racing circuit championship of any note"? IS SIMPLE, The time has not been right YET..

MAYBE NEXT YEAR

THE END!
That's not a reason, that's an excuse.

There have been plenty of good females over the years, some with more ability than males of the same era, but NONE have ever claimed a title.

Numbers don't come into it, if you have the talent you have the talent, if they have had the talent WHY hasn't any one of the ever won a championship?
Old 9 Nov 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2330970)   #108
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New Zealand motorsport lost one of its female competitors this weekend following an accident on Friday that created the decision to retire from the sport effective immediately.

Julia Huzziff was one of the battlers of New Zealand motorsport. Her family let her run in the NZV8s and they punched above their weight - some would say that they struggled - but they did it on a budget that was befitting of a "shoe string" effort.

When others struggle to run an NZV8 on sums less than $200,000, Julia's team ran her for around a quarter of that price.

Sad to say that Girl Torque Motorsport is no more, and despite her detractors, New Zealand motorsport has lost one of it's truly charismatic figures, and also one of it's very few female drivers.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2331036)   #109
aussieOW1
Rookie

aussieOW1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly some of the posts in this thread are exactly the reason why there are not more women involved in Motorsport. All it serves to do is to further push the perception that it is a boys only club and that a Female driver will never have a chance to be successful. Sets the sport back 10 years. Anyway...

Quote:
Numbers don't come into it, if you have the talent you have the talent, if they have had the talent WHY hasn't any one of the ever won a championship?
I hate to start another discussion about the fortunes of our F1 hope, but Mark Webber never won an Australian national title or a championship during his forumlae years in Europe, but does he not have talent? The fact that a) he still has a drive and b) he is constantly ranked as one of the top five or six drivers in the sport, suggests that he has some here or there.

But seemingly, based on your argument he does not.

And what about other drivers in similar situations? Jason Richards hasn't won a V8 Supercar race in over 100 starts. Does he not have talent? Having been witness to his superb drive at Bathurst this year with Murph, I would suggest that he has it in spades. Opportinty, fortune and some old fashioned luck have ensured that that first win has not yet come.

And actually - this whole argument does come down to numbers.

If there were as many women racing as men then - statistically - their chances of winning would even out.

For instance - Leanne Tander was one female competing against between 15 and 20 blokes in the past two Australian Drivers Championships (Arguably the most competitive 'wings and slicks' Open Wheel series' in Australian motorsport for 20 years... but that's a story for another day).

In the past two years she won seven races and scored 22 podium finishes from 32 races.

I have spoken with many drivers and teams in those two seasons and none of them ever discounted the potential that she would win the championship.

Because she has not yet won a title does not mean that she will not. In a competitive series she has proved that she has the same capability as any of the men involved. There will always be a winner and a loser and in this case it was Leanne who missed out. To drag out the much worn cliche' - 'That's Motor Racing'.

Oh, By the way;

Leanne Tander won Class C of the Australian Production Car Championship in 2004 whilst in 2005 she won both the Victorian and NSW State Improved Production Championships. Just letting you know.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2331222)   #110
toby
Rookie

toby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
All that having been said I still pose the question "WHY is it that a female has never won a motor racing circuit championship of any note"?

Leanne had her chances in the best car in the field and should have won it but for reasons known only to herself, didn't.
How do you figure that she had the best car in the field, all the leading cars were 07 Dallaras with Mercedes Benz engines. Team BRM had 5 of them to play with Tandersport only had 1, also if Winslow's 2 team mates hadn't taken each other out and then crashed into Leanne at the Clipsal 500 she would have won the championship.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2331260)   #111
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leanne did very well in the IPRA races on the weekend. Some brilliant passing maneuvers! Very entertaining to watch.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 04:46 (Ref:2331350)   #112
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby
How do you figure that she had the best car in the field, all the leading cars were 07 Dallaras with Mercedes Benz engines. Team BRM had 5 of them to play with Tandersport only had 1, also if Winslow's 2 team mates hadn't taken each other out and then crashed into Leanne at the Clipsal 500 she would have won the championship.
Again, nothing wrong with LT's ability, but your statement above fits into the Coulda,Woulda,Shoulda category as mentioned previously in this thread.

aussieOW1,

Nobody that has contributed to this thread has ever downplayed LT's talent, she has oodles of it but, the question is why hasn't she or any other female ever won something.

I don't care what Webber has or hasn't done or won,I don't care what Jason Richards has done, what i am interested in is why a female has never done it.

Not interested in if she may win one in the future because that will then settle the discussion, only interested in why hasn't she or any other chick won one up until now?
Old 10 Nov 2008, 04:55 (Ref:2331351)   #113
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Again, nothing wrong with LT's ability, but your statement above fits into the Coulda,Woulda,Shoulda category as mentioned previously in this thread.

aussieOW1,

Nobody that has contributed to this thread has ever downplayed LT's talent, she has oodles of it but, the question is why hasn't she or any other female ever won something.

I don't care what Webber has or hasn't done or won,I don't care what Jason Richards has done, what i am interested in is why a female has never done it.

Not interested in if she may win one in the future because that will then settle the discussion, only interested in why hasn't she or any other chick won one up until now?

'cause.... she's a chick?...
Old 10 Nov 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2332342)   #114
Mak
Veteran

Dasher, not an excuse, but there is no reason!
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2332770)   #115
toby
Rookie

toby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dasher,

Firstly you haven't answered my question, Why do you think she had the best car in the field?

Secondly, because women are outnumbered in this sport probably 500 to 1. so for example when Earl Bamber and Nathan Caratti took each other out at the Clipsal, there were twenty other guys including James Winslow to benefit from their accident, BUT they also took out Leanne as well which then robbed her of valuable points that probably would have won her the championship.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 02:48 (Ref:2332875)   #116
Stocky
Rookie

Stocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've raced against and worked for/with a few different female racers at a few diffferent levels in motorsport.

I think "most" females do have a physical disadvantge when strength and power are needed (eg high grip classes in karting, even F3 on a street or bumpy circuit) but it's not such a problem in cars or if they have power steering etc.
Classes like drag racing show the girls are easy as good as the boys (Top Fuel to Prostock Bike even) when there is no physical handycap.

The other problem I've seen more often than not (not all the time) is a kind of "over compensation" complex for being a girl.

When things go wrong or other drivers treat them badly "it's cause I'm a girl"

They are often overly agressive on the track to show they are tough etc and end up in more crashes etc ....

I'm not saying this is the case for all females but when you consider they are already a minority these little problems make it even harder for them.

Wining titles is about being the best "package"

If you are not at least pretty good in all the required aspects of a champion then someone else ends up beating you.

You might have the tallent, but if you don't have the rest of the package you'll often loose the title to someone with less talent.

Personally I'd rate LT as more talented than Winslow and you can argue all you like about "luck" etc. In the end Winslow won it and LT didn't.

I'd like to see her go on and win a high profile title but on merit, talent and total package. Not just cause she's a chick.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 06:40 (Ref:2332909)   #117
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby
Dasher,

Firstly you haven't answered my question, Why do you think she had the best car in the field?

Secondly, because women are outnumbered in this sport probably 500 to 1. so for example when Earl Bamber and Nathan Caratti took each other out at the Clipsal, there were twenty other guys including James Winslow to benefit from their accident, BUT they also took out Leanne as well which then robbed her of valuable points that probably would have won her the championship.
Sorry Toby, I should have said LT had ONE OF the best cars in the field which was the 07 Dallara/Mercedes as the BRM team had also, and she was very unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time at the Clipsal.
You yourself have classified that incident in the Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda class in your answer by saying "robbed her of valuable points that PROBABLY would have won her the championship."
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda.
And this is the same answer that seems to come up over & over & over again when it comes to reasons why a female didn't win some championship.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 06:47 (Ref:2332910)   #118
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky
I've raced against and worked for/with a few different female racers at a few diffferent levels in motorsport.

I think "most" females do have a physical disadvantge when strength and power are needed (eg high grip classes in karting, even F3 on a street or bumpy circuit) but it's not such a problem in cars or if they have power steering etc.
Classes like drag racing show the girls are easy as good as the boys (Top Fuel to Prostock Bike even) when there is no physical handycap.

The other problem I've seen more often than not (not all the time) is a kind of "over compensation" complex for being a girl.

When things go wrong or other drivers treat them badly "it's cause I'm a girl"

They are often overly agressive on the track to show they are tough etc and end up in more crashes etc ....

I'm not saying this is the case for all females but when you consider they are already a minority these little problems make it even harder for them.

Wining titles is about being the best "package"

If you are not at least pretty good in all the required aspects of a champion then someone else ends up beating you.

You might have the talent, but if you don't have the rest of the package you'll often loose the title to someone with less talent.

Personally I'd rate LT as more talented than Winslow and you can argue all you like about "luck" etc. In the end Winslow won it and LT didn't.

I'd like to see her go on and win a high profile title but on merit, talent and total package. Not just cause she's a chick.
Well said Stocky couldn't agree more with your comments, you're not as silly as you look.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2333659)   #119
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant believe I missed this thread.

Easy question... of course!

Danica Patrick will win the IndyCar Series Championship very soon!

You can take that to the bank.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2333669)   #120
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan

Very bold statement DanicaFan but that's your opinion.

How much would you like to have on her,I'll be your banker if you like ??????
Old 12 Nov 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2333688)   #121
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Yep she will, as the series continues to spirall down, allthe other drivers will move on leaving a hand full of newbies and Danica will clean house.

It 's only a matter of time.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2333711)   #122
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
Yep she will, as the series continues to spirall down, allthe other drivers will move on leaving a hand full of newbies and Danica will clean house.

It 's only a matter of time.
Yeah, you might be right about that, she will possibly beat a bunch of no names to win it.

We will see what happens?
Old 16 Nov 2008, 05:39 (Ref:2335620)   #123
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michelle from Canberra

is doing really well at the Hill Climb lark....

http://www.hillclimbnsw.com/guyer.html

http://www.irace.net.au/news/index.p...13672475455476
Old 16 Nov 2008, 06:33 (Ref:2335639)   #124
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Well done Michele,keep up the good work but we are talking about a much higher level than local hill climbs.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2336041)   #125
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I think that check will bounce. She's way too erratic and slow to win a championship.